Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

R/T Rick

Removing Your Cats

27 posts in this topic

Has anyone removed their cats? I was thinking about doing this since I live in Fl. I'm guessing my engine light will come on with them removed. Is there some bypass kit I can buy and install l so the light won't come on if that's the case?

Thanks

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Be prepared for the old school muscle car smell that some fucking love, me included. My wife, not so much.

The smell of raw fuel? Guess I'll have to get a tuner as well. I'm guessing since I have a cat back exhaust my car will be a little louder with the cats removed.

Rotten eggs. And yes you will need not just a tuner, but youll need to pay a tuner to tune the tuner so you can turn off the light.

Hold on, obviously since you don't have a tuner your stock. So WHY do you want to remove yur cats??

I want to get a tuner, gears and a cam for my future mods. Car breaths better without cats. So figured since I'm in Fl might as well remove them. Only performance mods I'm running now is exhaust and a K&N cold air intake. I'm wanting my exhaust louder than it is.

I have never spent the money on a cat back, so I can't speak to that. But just more noise, I removed the center mufflers and left the rear resonators, and shit got loud. I only removed the cats since I have a stroker and long tubes.

I have never spent the money on a cat back, so I can't speak to that. But just more noise, I removed the center mufflers and left the rear resonators, and shit got loud. I only removed the cats since I have a stroker and long tubes.

All that's gone on mine too, I don't have aftermarket headers, but I have SLP's

You removed the mufflers but kept the resonators? What do you have that's SLP, or are you saying you have only SLP catback no resonators?

I'm saying I have catback SLP's no resonators

I'm saying I have catback SLP's no resonators

Gotcha, I thought I was just confused...it is getting late around here! Removing the cats aren't going to net you any noticeable HP, and may actually loose some low end TQ in your current phase of mods. I kinda doubt it will pick up that much sound difference. But if your just really wanting to go that route I would suggest just go long tubes with catless mids all at once, gain HP and drop the cats at one swoop. Gonna need tuner etheir way, but you could do it via email ( pretty sure ) if you already own a trinity or predator. Hemifever does some good email tunes in my area, he just did my custom tune last week.

Gotcha, I thought I was just confused...it is getting late around here! Removing the cats aren't going to net you any noticeable HP, and may actually loose some low end TQ in your current phase of mods. I kinda doubt it will pick up that much sound difference. But if your just really wanting to go that route I would suggest just go long tubes with catless mids all at once, gain HP and drop the cats at one swoop. Gonna need tuner etheir way, but you could do it via email ( pretty sure ) if you already own a trinity or predator. Hemifever does some good email tunes in my area, he just did my custom tune last week.

I just purchased my Challenger recently. I was able to look under my car and I already have mid pipes and cats removed. Previous owner had the short small high flow cats installed. So I must have SLP 2's. It's loud on start up but not loud when driving unless I get on the gas some but is no where near as loud as my 2003 Mach 1 was with the SLP 1's. I'm pretty sure they are the SLP 2's. I bought my car used from a dealership not a private owner, so I didn't get the entire scoop about this my car. The previous owner installed a suspension lowering kit so it sits low to the ground. The high flow cats are installed real close to the factory headers at an upward angle so the can't scrape the ground.

I just purchased my Challenger recently. I was able to look under my car and I already have mid pipes and cats removed. Previous owner had the short small high flow cats installed. So I must have SLP 2's. It's loud on start up but not loud when driving unless I get on the gas some but is no where near as loud as my 2003 Mach 1 was with the SLP 1's. I'm pretty sure they are the SLP 2's. I bought my car used from a dealership not a private owner, so I didn't get the entire scoop about this my car. The previous owner installed a suspension lowering kit so it sits low to the ground. The high flow cats are installed real close to the factory headers at an upward angle so the can't scrape the ground.

If you want to run catless, I'm willing to bet you someone would gladly buy your Mid pipe with the HF cats

If you want to run catless, I'm willing to bet you someone would gladly buy your Mid pipe with the HF cats

I just looked under the front of my car today and saw the HF cats and mid pipe. I'm going to buy some SLP 1's and take out the SLP 2's. That should give me the sound I'm looking for. I'm going to keep everything, just change out to SLP 1's.

I think you'll be sorry.  That thing will be way too loud.

Supercharge and be done.  I'm pushing over 600RWHP through SRT shorties and catted mids.  No real reason to remove them that I can see unless you have long tubes and keep collapsing the hi flows that come with that setup.

mine is kooks long tubes.. catless mids.. and magnaflow cat back..  i can tell you the smell is real bad in the garage.. and the DRONE going down the interstate without cats is HORRIBLE.

it is VERY VERY LOUD.. i like it don't get me wrong but if i did it all over i would be having cats on without a doubt.

mine is kooks long tubes.. catless mids.. and magnaflow cat back..  i can tell you the smell is real bad in the garage.. and the DRONE going down the interstate without cats is HORRIBLE.

it is VERY VERY LOUD.. i like it don't get me wrong but if i did it all over i would be having cats on without a doubt.

Its because you have the catback, most suck. If you leave the factory resonators on, there will never be drone, and it sounds kick ass, and loud as fuck at WOT.

I think you'll be sorry. That thing will be way too loud.

Supercharge and be done. I'm pushing over 600RWHP through SRT shorties and catted mids. No real reason to remove them that I can see unless you have long tubes and keep collapsing the hi flows that come with that setup.

Yes SLP 1's are loud, I ran them on my 03 Mach 1. I don't get the drone noise too much at all now with the SLP 2's. I like loud though, sounds so good on these hemi's. I have the high flow cats on now, I'm keeping them on.

I've run a few different exhaust setups including slp 1, MagnaFlow, highflow cats etc... my current setup is awesome. Kooks longtubes, catless mids because of my f1a, 14 lbs of boost and 760 rwhp, and corsa exhaust. Great combo. Behaves around town, and flows and sounds nasty when I get on it. Zero drone, worth the money for the corsa.

X2 on the Corsa. I was running srt clam shells, catless mids and a Corsa Sport cat back, absolutely loved this combo. Had a slightly deeper tone at idle than stock, relatively quiet when just easing around town, but man it did scream when you stood on it hard. And all with no drone any time ! 

^^^^ X3. Exactly what I run now. I had solo high flows and corsa cat back and it was real quiet. A little louder now with the catless at idle and driving around but loud as hell at WOT. :)

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

^^^^ X3. Exactly what I run now. I had solo high flows and corsa cat back and it was real quiet. A little louder now with the catless at idle and driving around but loud as hell at WOT. :)

Sent from my StarTac using Tapatalk

Probably sounds a lot like my car did. lol

Don't remove the cats. The noise will drive you nuts.

On my 5.7 I supercharged, SRT headers, Solo High Flow Cats and SRT8 Flowmaster {American Thunder System... no resonators} cat back.

Nice deep tone with no drone. Louder than stock but not loud enough to attract attention.

I read somewhere years ago that the Dodge engineers stated that these Hemi's like a little back pressure.

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

Stevo