Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Lowwlife

Pulling Dash For Rollcage Install

104 posts in this topic

Good luck, Karl. I got nothing for you. Now pulling the kick panel and dinking around with wiring I can help with...

If you need someone close by I'd reach out to Cam. He's been pretty darn helpful to me and seems to be a wealth of knowledge.

HemiSam

REMOVAL

WARNING: Before servicing the steering column the airbag system must be disarmed. Refer to electrical restraint system for service procedures. Failure to do so may result in accidental deployment of the airbag and possible personal injury.

CAUTION: All fasteners must be torqued to specification to ensure proper operation of the steering column.

1. Position the front wheels straight-ahead.

2. Fully extend or pull out adjustable steering column.

3. Disconnect the negative (ground) cable from the battery.

4. Remove the driver airbag (3).

SWStep4.jpg

Air Bag removal

1. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

WARNING: Wait two minutes for the airbag system reserve capacitor to discharge before beginning any airbag system or component service. Failure to do so may result in accidental airbag deployment, which may result in serious or fatal injury.

2. From behind the steering wheel (1), remove the two screw covers and screws (5) to the driver airbag (3).

CAUTION: Do not pull on the horn switch feed pigtail wire to disengage the connector from the driver airbag or to disconnect the horn switch to steering wheel wire harness connection. Improper pulling on this pigtail wire or connection can result in damage to the horn switch membrane or feed circuit.

3. Carefully pull airbag rearward just far enough to disconnect the two airbag squib connectors (2) and the horn connector (4).

4. Separate driver airbag from steering column.

NOTE: The driver airbag trim cover is available for service separately. If the horn switch is faulty or the trim cover is damaged, the airbag cushion assembly may be transferred to a new trim cover. If the airbag is defective, the entire driver airbag and driver airbag trim cover must be replaced as an assembly.

SWstep5.jpg

5. Remove the steering wheel retainer bolt (2), then slide the steering wheel (1) off the shaft.

6. If wheel is being replaced, transfer attached components as necessary.

Dash Removal

WARNING: Disable the supplemental restraint system before attempting any steering wheel, steering column, airbag, Occupant Classification System (OCS), seat belt tensioner, impact sensor, or instrument panel component diagnosis or service. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative (ground) cable, then wait two minutes for the system capacitor to discharge before performing further diagnosis or service. This is the only sure way to disable the Supplemental Restraint System (SRS). Failure to take the proper precautions could result in accidental airbag deployment and serious or fatal injury.

WARNING: Never strike or drop the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC), as it can damage the impact sensor or affect its calibration. The occupant restraint controller contains the impact sensor, which enables the system to deploy the supplemental restraints. If an airbag control module is accidentally dropped during service, the module must be scrapped and replaced with a new unit. Failure to observe this warning could result in accidental, incomplete, or improper supplemental restraint deployment and serious or fatal injury.

CAUTION: On vehicles equipped with the Occupant Classification System (OCS), never replace both the Occupant Restraint Controller (ORC) and the Occupant Classification Module (OCM) at the same time. If both require replacement, replace one. Then perform the supplemental restraint verification test before replacing the other. Both the ORC and the OCM store OCS calibration data, which they transfer to one another when one of them is replaced. If both are replaced at the same time, an irreversible fault will be set in both modules.

7477.jpg

1. Before proceeding with the following repair procedure, review all warnings and cautions.

2. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable.

3. Raise and support the vehicle.

4. Disconnect the steering column from the steering coupling.(Refer to 19 - Steering/Column/COUPLING, Steering Column - Removal)

5. Lower the vehicle.

6. Remove steering column as necessary. (Refer to 19 - Steering/Column - Removal) .

7. Remove the glove box. (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/GLOVE BOX, Instrument Panel - Removal)

8. Remove the left and right side instrument panel silencers. (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/PANEL, Silencer - Removal) .

9. Remove the screws (2 and 6) that secure the steering column cover (1) to the instrument panel.

10. Disconnect the electrical connector (3) from the trunk release switch.

11. Disconnect the hood release cable (4) from the hood release handle (5) and remove the steering column cover from the vehicle.

step12.jpg

12. Remove the screws (1) that secure the instrument panel steering column cover reinforcement (2) to the bracket and remove the reinforcement from the vehicle.

step13.jpg

13. Disconnect the body wire harness connectors (1 and 3) from the instrument panel wire harness connectors.

14. Disconnect the body wire harness connectors (2 and 4) from the transmission control module.

15. Remove the center floor console. (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/CONSOLE, Floor - Removal) .

step16.jpg

16. Disconnect the antenna coax (1) from the instrument panel coax extension.

17. Disconnect the wire harness connectors (2, 4, 5 and 6) from the instrument panel wire harness connectors (3).

18. Remove the A-pillar trim panels. (Refer to 23 - Body/Interior/PANEL, A-Pillar Trim - Removal)

19. Disconnect the wire harness connectors (1 and 2) located on the A-pillars.

step19.jpg

step20.jpg

20. Remove the end caps from the left and right side of the instrument panel to access the instrument panel side support bolts (1) and remove the bolts.

21. Remove the defroster grille to access the instrument panel top retaining bolts (2) and remove the bolts. (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/GRILLE, Defroster - Removal) .

22. Remove the bolts (3) that secure the bottom of the instrument panel.

step22.jpg

23. Lift the instrument panel assembly (2) off of the supports (1 and 5). Guide the steering column end (4) through the opening in the dash panel (3) and remove the instrument panel through the passenger door.

step24.jpg

24. If required, remove the spring nuts (1) from the dash panel.

Thanks mike, you rock!!! Rob,thats why I didn't do a full cage the first go round, pulling that dash look like a PITA.

Yea no shit 1-800-have someone else do it.

Mike, have you seen a dash out? Looking at the diagram i'm wondering if i'll have room for a dash cross bar?(Center bar that connects to the two outer dash bars for support) I've heard many guys are leaving that bar out lol

Yep, and I have a pretty good memory as to were bits of information are

That's the thing, I don't know how many times I've said I know I have that somewhere and look and look for it. Very impressive Mike

Thanks for the pics mike, jim posted those for me awhile back but I couldn't find the site lol Once again I don't see a dash cross bar :D I'll PM jim and see if they added one.

Here is Rubbels car with the dash out

Yep, and I have a pretty good memory as to were bits of information are

It's a good thing Rubbel posted some pics of his project car, eh?

just how fast do you think you going to go there Karl?

Shooting for 200MPH in the mile john, after seeing that lambo crash in texas I decided on a full cage for more safety :(

Shooting for 200MPH in the mile john, after seeing that lambo crash in texas I decided on a full cage for more safety :(

That'll be a feat in this car. Did that Lambo have a cage?

That'll be a feat in this car. Did that Lambo have a cage?

That it is J, 16.2mph is all I need to hit the big 200 :(

I'm trying to hit the # on the blower alone but i'll have NOS for backup :D The lambo had a full cage and thank god he did, seeing the driver walk away from that crash sealed the deal for me on a full cage B)

That it is J, 16.2mph is all I need to hit the big 200 B)

I'm trying to hit the # on the blower alone but i'll have NOS for backup ;) The lambo had a full cage and thank god he did, seeing the driver walk away from that crash sealed the deal for me on a full cage B)

16.2 doesn't sound like much until you look at the physics involved. That's pushing a huge wall of air. I think the N2O backup is a safe bet.

The aerodynamics are going to be a real issue with these cars. Besides the fact that the nose is shaped like a brick, I understand the front end gets squirrely above 185 mph from a speed shop that had one up there.

You give anymore thought to that nose, Karl? I've got an idea if you really want to make a run to 200mph and don't get there with what we're running now B)

HemiSam