Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Lowwlife

Pulling Dash For Rollcage Install

104 posts in this topic

This copyright thing got me thinking and please do not take this the wrong way, but you can't copyright something that is already copyrighted, i.e., the service manual. I'm guilty of this myself, as I posted a procedure right out of the manual on CT without thinking the material is copyrighted.

You guys that ride the high speed, I have a question. I had my car next to my dads 71 challenger. Its funny new challengers look so much like the old until its next to each other. 71 sit 2 inches lower, 71 has a thinner front fender to hood, more pointed front end, 71 is wider looking. Just seems the 71 or 70 through 74 looks more areodiamatic than the 09 10 11s ???

Im sure GSO has this on file lol lol What you think Mike, is the new not as air streamed as the old ?

Flat Top

Our cars have a .35 drag coefficient and a 25.2 sq ft frontal area, if memory serves me. They're sexy bricks!

HemiSam

To put this into context, the '69 Daytona / Super Bird was .28....bad ass 40+ years ago ;)

HemiSam

Crazy how that picture has been running around forever with 1970 in it but is cleary not a 70 or 71 Challenger. Maybe they meant decade?

Our cars have a .35 drag coefficient and a 25.2 sq ft frontal area, if memory serves me. They're sexy bricks!

HemiSam

To put this into context, the '69 Daytona / Super Bird was .28....bad ass 40+ years ago ;)

HemiSam

Do you like how if you double post before anyone else does, it automatically puts it in there for you? Weird to get used to.

Well, tomorrow is the day for pulling the dash B) Not looking forward to it at all but it has to get done. Mike, I did a step by step run of pulling the dash but i'm missing # 19 and 23 of the diagram, do you have that in your arsenal of challenger knowledge? Thanks for your help bro B)

The dash is almost out!!! Big thanks to mike for the detailed info on the console. I have to make a run to harbor freight for some torques allen to disconnect the steering shaft then I can pull the dash out lol Thanks for the harbor freight plug sam B)

Ok, the dash is out. The diagram mike posted is spot on less a couple connectors. The only thing left out was pulling the center console and disconnecting the steering shaft, that took a T-55 star torques allen and lying on the roll bar the whole time to get it out. My big problem was accessing the bolts in the upper dash/windshield area. I tried pulling the defroster vent out along with other things for over 3 hrs before I gave up. After dinner and a pissed off nap I took a closer look at the dash panal. Turns out I was pulling on the wrong vent, the whole speaker grill/windshield panal pops out with easy access to the bolts. Thanks sam, I know you kept saying dash bolts but I did't see them B)B)

Nicely done bro! Like most things, the first time is the one you remember B)

As always, this community never ceases to impress me. GSO and Erik answering questions and my boy Karl wrestling that beatch...hell yeah! Beats the hell out of people throwing darts about other's slow cars B)

HemiSam

Now for some laughs. I put the car in the middle of the garage to do the work, now it's time to move it back. O crap, NO STEERING WHEEL LMAO!!! HOLY CRAP!! NO POWER? How do I get it out of park??? To the right on the shifter plate you'll notice a small box, pop off the cap, take a small flat head and push downward in the box to release the shifter.

Great project man. Can't wait to see some pics...and glad you made it through w/o the airbag going off!

Man, I was freaking out when it came time to pull the bag out. That thing going off has to feel like mike tyson punching you in the face blink.gif Ouch!!!

Karl asked me to post these up. 10 meg photos laugh.gif Sorry, bro. Couldn't help myself...

Like a friend some of us here know well told me yesterday (fltinstructor). It's not that big a deal to take apart an older car, but it takes balls to take apart and modify a brand new car ;) Nicely done, Karl!

HemiSam

dashpull6.jpg

dashpull7.jpg

dashpull5.jpg

dashpull3.jpg

dashpull4.jpg

dashpull2.jpg

dashpull.jpg