Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hemi~C~

Comp 274 Cam And Hemituner Performance Tuning/tcm = 11.5's @ 117

26 posts in this topic

Just a quick update for those 6.4L Apache guys who are on the fence about cam and tcm upgrades.   I read all the threads, watched the videos and still had a lot of questions how will the Comp 274 actually perform at the track and drive on the street. The TCM was a no brainer and I can tell you it is a necessity for anyone looking to maximize the results of a cam install requiring higher end shift points.

So let me answer the Comp 274 question for everyone.  Aj Hemituner's base tune for the Comp 274 is incredibly smooth right out of the box. The tune is smooth, stable with factory like drivability  No degradation in driving manners at all... and I am a picky mf'r.  I will say the cam gives up a bit of low end torque (noticed below 2500 rpms) for a much bigger mid range and top end pull.

As for the performance, I am still trying to quantify this as my only comparison was the last time the car was at the track before the cam was the MSHS Atco race 2yrs ago with big time - DA. The car ran 11.8's @ 117 then with the seats stripped out.  Not bad at all for a crate 6.4.

What I can definitively say is that I am now running .4 faster (and similar mph), with full interior and in +DA. 

The TCM with the higher shift points was worth an easy .2 for my comp 274 combo.  The car ran 11.9's @ 114 in Detroit MSHS pre-tcm, 11.6's @ 116 at the VMP MSHS event and just this weekend it went consistent 11.5's @ 117 in +250-450 DA.  At this point I need to put a A/F gauge in the car work with Aj / Hemituner Performance to finish dialing in fuel/timing.

I expect as the fall air turns crisp and I start seeing air similar to those Atco runs 2yrs ago the car will be in the 11.4 @ 119 territory.  See you guys at Atco   :)

Makes me wonder what a set of heads or a bit of nitrous might do for this combo.  John Lewis (SRT5939) donated his old nitrous set up to the cause, shipping a nitrous outlet plate, noids and a bunch of lines to my front doorstep.   John, I can't thank you enough brother!

Check out those 1.5 60's. 

14449967_10208595113690140_5165206520579

14088689_10208332450203717_2227831689207

Nice times man! Can you, if you don't mind, elaborate on any other mods you have? Also where does AJ have your redline set at and where are you shifting? Auto or 6 speed? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice!!! AJ squared away my 6spd/274 comp cam tuning and eased my mind a lot of the problems I ran into/heard of. Can't wait to get my transmission back to adjust a/f ratio with him and see how it runs.

Glad to hear he got you rockin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The mods list are pretty much the standard bolt ons:  

Hemituner Performance PCM tuning

Hemituner Performance TCM w/6400 shift points/auto upshift

LMI Cold Air Intake

Comp 274 Cam 

Dynatech headers

MBRB Cat back / Exhaust

3400 torque convertor 

Paramount valvebody

DSS CF driveshaft

3.55 gearing

The logs show it shifting between 6400-6500 with a 6800 rev limit (at my request).

The mods list are pretty much the standard bolt ons:

Hemituner Performance PCM tuning

Hemituner Performance TCM w/6400 shift points/auto upshift

LMI Cold Air Intake

Comp 274 Cam

Dynatech headers

MBRB Cat back / Exhaust

3400 torque convertor

Paramount valvebody

DSS CF driveshaft

3.55 gearing

The logs show it shifting between 6400-6500 with a 6800 rev limit (at my request).

thanks man. I saw your time slips, impressive. Would you happen to have a dyno sheet so I can take a peak at the torque curve? Curious to see what the 274 looks like.

thanks man. I saw your time slips, impressive. Would you happen to have a dyno sheet so I can take a peak at the torque curve? Curious to see what the 274 looks like.

No dyno yet.   

Chris dyno. lol

The track is his dyno, FOR THAT MATTER THE WORLD IS HIS DYNO. When Chris does his crazy analytical hocus pocus and puts the pedal to the metal, we all have to adjust our clocks.

Dyno smino, dyno's' are for cars with polished wheel wells :P

Haha, it's great seeing you back at it bud. Hard to believe it's almost been ten years since you, Jim, Moa and myself were battling like madmen just to sniff that first eleven on motor. Damn those were fun times. :)

Of course the track is where it's all at. But for a guy like myself who is 3.5 hours one way to the nearest, it's not easy getting there. Anyway, i know the norm is to want to see time slips, and he produced some nice ones given his mods. That's the correct way to see and check your gains. However, the reason why I want to see his dyno graph is to do a comparison. We have the same motors with pretty much the same mods. Big differences is he's an auto, I'm not AND the cam specs. It's all about the cam grind and how it helps these motors. His a comp 274 mine a Crower custom ground by inertia motor sports. I hear just as many pros as I do cons on the 274 as I have been hearing about mine. I'm having some doubts on weather mine is the proper one for my motor, so all the data I collect the better educated I will be.

Thanks Cam, I do miss the good ole days but it's nice to just be back in a car and having fun again...even if it is "just 11's" My kids are ashamed :)

So i am going to have to step it up a bit. I have some testing to do with the drag pack intake and the nitrous before the MSHS AtCo race. I plan on being a solid contender in the 10.5 Modified clas's at Atco.

Then we build the big motor. :)

Teddy, I will likely hit the local dyno sometime in the next month if I get a chance. I would like to see where the tq curve is and when it falls off on the top end

WHAAAAAAT!?!?!? 

NOW you move to the 10.5 class??? Dammit! I would have loved to run side-by-side with you! YSI vs Nitrous(WTF??)

So i am going to have to step it up a bit. I have some testing to do with the drag pack intake and the nitrous before the MSHS AtCo race. I plan on being a solid contender in the 10.5 Modified clas's at Atco.

WHAAAAAAT!?!?!? 

NOW you move to the 10.5 class??? Dammit! I would have loved to run side-by-side with you! YSI vs Nitrous(WTF??)

Just a goal I am shooting for at this point.... 45 days to make it happen.  

WHAAAAAAT!?!?!?

you can't hardly keep up with NA cars and now you want to try nitrous cars? ;)

So I finally found time to pull out the Tranzformer that came with the car, downloaded the software, tweaked the settings and plugged it in.  HOLY SHIT why isn't everyone talking about this thing?  It is the perfect enhancement to the Hemituner TCM or any TCM for that matter.  This thing bangs the gears like nobodies business and is fully programmable on upshift/downshift, has line lock and launch modes that are going to be huge at the track.  

Best of all, I was recently having bad slip on the 2/3 and 4/5 shift, now its rock solid (for now).  I am sure the damage is already done in the clutches but I can't believe how much the tranzformer tightened up those shifts.  No noticeable slip for now.

No doubt the now firm/quick shifts is going to be worth .1 - .2 and some mph.  Can't wait to get some more track time.

That is pretty kick ass. I really have no idea how the Tranzformer works. I have a stock TCM and an SHR Viking, my shifts are at 6200 I think, what would I have to benefit with a Tranzformer? My car scratches the tires shifting into 3rd on the street, just not sure there would be a benefit, but I am all ears.

That is pretty kick ass. I really have no idea how the Tranzformer works. I have a stock TCM and an SHR Viking, my shifts are at 6200 I think, what would I have to benefit with a Tranzformer? My car scratches the tires shifting into 3rd on the street, just not sure there would be a benefit, but I am all ears.

I think it all depends on where you are at.  If your TCM and valvebody are set on kill and are already barking tires then you probably are not going to see much in terms of shift quality but you will have total control over shift points to dial it in at the track.

My shifts, even with the Hemituner TCM and BB valvebody were firm but not certainly not hard at all. I guessing my BB valvebody is a little on the soft side as the TCM made a positive change.  But my 2/3 and 3/4 already beginning to slip. The tranzformer really firmed them up.

The functionality that really amazes me is that the tranzformer allows you to dial in the shift firmness in part throttle and WOT, in drive or autostick separately.  And has line lock mode for the water box, as well as launch mode to play with.  

What cam do you have Alan? Mine is pretty gnarly and I have a manual, but I know mine would'nt want anything under 6500, I shift at 6800 now and im confident its a sweet spot.

What cam do you have Alan? Mine is pretty gnarly and I have a manual, but I know mine would'nt want anything under 6500, I shift at 6800 now and im confident its a sweet spot.

It's a custom grind from Dave at Modern Muscle, I have the spec sheet but I don't think I could find it or remember it if I tried.