Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Speedy

Sg Raptor Shift Light Install

Finally took time to install the Raptor shift light I picked up back in May.  So far I love it.  When Craig beat me by a tick in his Hellcat Charger at CF7, I was curious where I could improve.  In reviewing data logs I realized I had shifted 500 RPM early on every shift.  I hadn't been used to cars running so close with me historically, and subconsciously I guess I thought grabbing the gear sooner would give an advantage.  in the end it cost me a little over a 10th from what I normally run.  Now with this installed I can hit the shifts just right, and it also includes the launch RPM feature as well, so it basically lights up at a user programmable launch RPM letting you know your on the mark without having to stare at the gauges.  This will allow me to hit the light better as well since I can focus on the tree.

challenger_raptor_web_03.jpg          challenger_raptor_web_11.jpg

Nice write up speedy. I have the same light with the launch feature which if I remember is why there was a clutch wire. The only difference to my technique was i went right to the coil to get the rpm feed and right to the clutch pedal to pick up the feed for that. That made it so I didnt have to get to the PCM. On a '14, that is way more packed to get at than your video shows. I used the same technique for stripping the wire sheathing and soldering the tapped wire into it....except I didnt have that cool tool. Wish I did because I basically was like a surgeon and used an exacto knife to strip it away. I may have to get that tool for the future. Also Raptor told me it didnt really matter which coil to pick up RPM signal from so since I was running a wire over to a cirkit boss, i just ran the power, ground, and rpm wire together in a loom and broke the rpm wire out and hooked to a convenient coil on the passenger side (cirkit boss I have mounted near the main fuse box. Just figured I would throw some of this out there for guys with the newer models ('11-'14). As usual speedy, great write up and video. 

Good info.  Where's the computer on the 11-14?  It's not in the same spot?

yea, its in the same spot but it seems like even more wires and less slack on those wires than what you show.Just trying to get it out of that spot was a nightmare. And like you show in your video, there are even more wires the same color going in those connectors. I just couldnt get the thing out to get in a good place to do the soldering. Thats when I called Raptor and he told me that it didnt matter where you picked up the coil wire signal from (or the clutch)....so I just went to the source of both of them.