Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Speedy

New Camaro 1St Track Outing

30 posts in this topic

Hit the track with the Camaro this past weekend.  Howie came down to hang out and Greg ran his car as usual.  Phil and the others couldn't make it.

DA was abysmal at nearly 2200 all day.  I normally don't pay attention to it since the Challenger makes its own atmosphere, but the Camaro is NA and it matters.

The car REALLY surprised me.  Bone stock, stock tires, and everything it ran 12.4 @112.69 very first pass.  Keep in mind I've never drag raced an auto at all, so I just put it in track mode and hit the gas at the tree.  2.0 60' bleck.

I talked to Greg to get some auto racing pointers and hit a 12.5 at 114MPH and next a 12.334 @112.72MPH with 1.92 60'.  That was with some light loading up on the converter at the tree.  I wanted to head back for another run now that I was figuring out what the car liked but the lanes closed.

I did a conversion on Drag Times, and you guys that know will have to tell me how accurate, but based on the DA the 12.33 converted to a 12.07 at 115MPH. 

We're heading back in 2 weeks when the weather should be MUCH cooler and I'm hoping I may see a 11.9x bone stock in this thing.

On a side note, one of my passes was against a 2015 ZL1 (factory supercharged Camaro), and it was pathetic.  He ran a 12.22 at 113.38 and I ran a 12.41 at 112.69.  Pathetic for a supposed 580HP car.  I'd be pissed.  I think that was his best run of the day from what I saw.

I got some cool video and I'll post the time slips up this weekend for those that are interested.

Super easy racing an auto compared to my Challenger and the A8 is amazing, but not near as challenging (no pun intended) :)

lol, it was a 4 burrito day SteveO

GM just announced a drag racer parts program where they're going to offer a CAM, heads, axles, drive shaft, etc.  It may be something I look in to depending on cost.  Supposedly takes the car to a tick over 530HP.  Speculation is the parts will come with a GM tune and factory warranty un-affected (not that I care), but will be interesting of so.

Wow, strait from the factory SS on street tires, very possible 11s....

I love my Challenger, I love my Challenger, I love my Challenger....high 13 vs high 11...I love my Challenger

Yeah, I'm pretty surprised myself.  This ones even a 2SS that has all the bells and whistles and weighs a couple hundred pounds more than the SS that doesn't have leather, heated seats, etc.

Damn quick for being stock, especially considering the DA and 60'. They look to be edging out the scat packs by just a hair as well.

I'm currently trying to talk my girlfriend into taking her new 2016 GT to the track. I'm really curious to see where it sits stock, as I plan to throw a few bolt ons on it. Wish it had an 8spd though, seems to be a dog off the line.

2016 Mustang GT at the track with DRs was running 12.7s.  He came over to talk to me about the Camaro and how quick it was compared to his GT.  He said he'd seen another guy run a 12.1 in his Camaro SS in cooler air and said he wish he'd gotten one instead lol

Trust me, I tried talking her into an new SS or Scat, but she was too focused on a new GT. lol

But like I said, my biggest complaint about it so far is the lack of torque. I find it funny when I see the light bolt-on 5.0 guys cutting 1.8-1.9 60's with slicks and skinnies. Last year I raced a guy with a tune only 5.0 and he didn't even have to roll into the throttle on street tires. The prep was good enough for him to go WOT without spinning, but he could only pull a 1.94 60'. lol

Nothing wrong with the GT really.  Still a pretty nice package.  I thought I'd end up with one but the rear end look wasn't for me.  Glad I waited now lol  I may try to win some bucks in the gamblers races at the track with this Camaro.

Don't get me wrong, it's a really nice car with great power and nice features (AFR and line lock from the factory..wtf lol), but I tend to miss my cars bottom end while driving it.

As far as styling goes, it's the opposite for me as I don't care for the fusion inspired fascia. I like the rear, but hers is a bit plain with the spoiler delete..though I'm sorta happy about that since the Roush spoiler mounts in a completely different location.

Now the real question is, when are you going to throw a blower onto the SS? Lmao!

Good showing J.  How does it feel to be a part-time burrito eater?

Weird actually.  It's nice to go pretty quick with relatively little effort, but not as satisfying as doing it in a manual IMO.  I can see getting bored with it pretty quick once I've found the max.  The ease of consistency is pretty nice and would make it a good bracket car to win a few bucks, but I've been able to do the same in my manual with all the practice so that's really a wash.

Lets say that both your cars ran the same times....which one would be your favorite???

I know its a loaded question, just curious what your thoughts are.

The time actually could even be a lot slower and I'd still pick the Challenger.  If I could only have one, that would be it.  I love that car.  It just has this bad ass muscle car road presence about it.  I'm blessed to be able to have a variety, but the Camaro isn't in the same league. It's a sport car IMO and muscle cars are where my heart is.

The time actually could even be a lot slower and I'd still pick the Challenger.  If I could only have one, that would be it.  I love that car.  It just has this bad ass muscle car road presence about it.  I'm blessed to be able to have a variety, but the Camaro isn't in the same league. It's a sport car IMO and muscle cars are where my heart is.

Just wanted to make sure you were not being drawn into the dark side..... *ninja* 

AFR is leaner than I expected (in a good way). Watching the AFR on Kourtlyns new GT, it seems that Ford left a good bit on the table in that area. It's consistent mid 11s from what I've seen.

cool! how did you get all the gauge stuff up on the video?

Malena got me an OBDII adapter that feeds data to the phone.  If you have an Android, there's a $4 app called Torque that does the capture.  A little tricky to get it to the computer, but workable.

AFR is leaner than I expected (in a good way). Watching the AFR on Kourtlyns new GT, it seems that Ford left a good bit on the table in that area. It's consistent mid 11s from what I've seen.

Yes.  I thought it looked pretty good over all.  For whatever reason, Chevy DOES NOT use wide band sensors like all other modern cars that I know of, so what you're seeing is "command" AFR, still should be pretty close to that though.

Timing looked pretty good as well except for the shift in to 5th.  It dropped to 19.5° there and I'd have liked to see it stay around 23°.  Diablo doesn't support the new Camaro yet, once they do I can get proper logs.

Cool video. Kinda weird seeing Jay's right hand glued to the steering wheel!   lol

Stevo

No kidding!  lol