Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MXS67454

Cam/heads For N/a 6.4 . Who Has Done It ?

26 posts in this topic

specifically for 15/16's using stock exhaust but any info welcome. planning to do this over winter on my 16 Scat Pack with 3.90 swap. thanks in advance..

'13 6 speed SRT; cam, big gas heads, long tubes, high flows, cat back, ported intake, ported throttle body=45HP/55TRQ. Not impressed, and in all fairness, my tuner said I wouldn't be. Told me "super charge and be done!"

Teddyp, on 05 Dec 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:Teddyp, on 05 Dec 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:Teddyp, on 05 Dec 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:Teddyp, on 05 Dec 2016 - 10:38 AM, said:

'13 6 speed SRT; cam, big gas heads, long tubes, high flows, cat back, ported intake, ported throttle body=45HP/55TRQ. Not impressed, and in all fairness, my tuner said I wouldn't be. Told me "super charge and be done!"

WOW !   Lots of parts and money for such a small gain..  Arrington has a 14 SRT with stock exhaust on their site that got a Comp 274 and ported heads shows a 85 hp/ 65 tq gain which is pretty good but my tuner says about 7200.00 to do that complete.. hard to justify... 

SOOOO..... going with a Procharger.  6 PSI on E85.  should be ultra safe and  pistons 'SHOULD' stay happy.  thanks for your reply Teddyp

WOW ! Lots of parts and money for such a small gain.. Arrington has a 14 SRT with stock exhaust on their site that got a Comp 274 and ported heads shows a 85 hp/ 65 tq gain which is pretty good but my tuner says about 7200.00 to do that complete.. hard to justify...

SOOOO..... going with a Procharger. 6 PSI on E85. should be ultra safe and pistons 'SHOULD' stay happy. thanks for your reply Teddyp

Your welcome. I'm not doubting Arrington, I'm sure they did get those numbers. However, I bet those are peak numbers. They probably peaked toward the end of the power band or very close to red line. By that time the race is over. My numbers are very strong and consistent from about 2200 all the way up to red line. That 274 is junk, sorry to all that has it. It's a fact. Big fat dog down low where a 4200 pound cars needs plenty of torque to get it rolling. I called Comp Cams themselves and they said believe it or not on a 6.4 they would rather see their 270, not 274. Anyway, still not enough to justify the dollars that went into it. Of course I was hoping for more and was told that it's probably not going to happen, but I just had to see for my self.

Do it all over again? With this fucked up angled inlet on these 6.4 intakes, nope. I'd pull that off, twin screw, 7 psi, no more, quality tune, and your good. Want more? Pistons, rods next step.

PS- $7200 is exactly what I paid, parts and labor for heads, cam, long tubes, high flows, dyno tune. The ported intake, throttle body, and cat back was already on. Speaking of the intake/throttle body, save your money. Quite frankly, Apache heads are the bomb diggity. Leave 'em alone. They flow very well. Very well for even 7 psi. Good luck.

Dave Webber at Modern Muscle and some guys down here have cam only just topping 500 RWHP. Call him and ask about the cams Joe and Nate got from him out of Texas. Couple of guys down here running 500 RWHP on that cam and I think longtubes. I can get a number for ya.

My Rt was an early test bed for the 5.7 Arrington phase 6 heads and cam, HP gain 76 , TQ gain 63. Good on the dyno  But didn't like the driveability especially down low.

SuaveRT, on 06 Dec 2016 - 01:26 AM, said:

Dave Webber at Modern Muscle and some guys down here have cam only just topping 500 RWHP. Call him and ask about the cams Joe and Nate got from him out of Texas. Couple of guys down here running 500 RWHP on that cam and I think longtubes. I can get a number for ya.

I looked hard at the NSR cams.. just under .600 lift and a little less duration than the 274. the stock Apache head is within a cfm or 2 of max flow at .600 and really questioned if ported heads were worth the money considering 40 cfm was the most improvement I have seen.  I don't mind giving up a little 'down low ' with a cam as I have an A8 Scat with 3.90 swap.

Did a 16 over the summer, wasn't thrilled with the 274 cam,although it sounds great.

could you elaborate please ?

could you elaborate please ?

Sure.....a whole lot of effort and crappola for a return. I think we saw 50hp but it was way up top. Not worth the effort.

Sure.....a whole lot of effort and crappola for a return. I think we saw 50hp but it was way up top. Not worth the effort.

...and that's basically what I was getting at OP. That 274 is shit. Small gains and to boot they are all on top. Not what you want for a 4200 pound 1/4 mile car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for the info guys.....I think I hear a Procharger calling my name...

Way better choice over cam, yes it is. However, this is a 6.4, correct? If so, go twin screw for about the same cost. Get rid of that angled intake that the centri would be using.

Teddyp, on 06 Dec 2016 - 4:55 PM, said:Teddyp, on 06 Dec 2016 - 4:55 PM, said:

Way better choice over cam, yes it is. However, this is a 6.4, correct? If so, go twin screw for about the same cost. Get rid of that angled intake that the centri would be using.

Yes 6.4  but it's a shaker and A8 with 3.90 gear. a screw won't play well with that.   plan now is Procharger 6 PSI on E85.YES  VERY CONSERVATIVE !

Tuner says 200 hp+ to the tire. I will be happy with that.  Thanks Teddyp

Make sure you change that intake manifold out for a 6.1 intake. You don't want to blow on actuator valves getting stuck open/close and leaning you out.

Yes 6.4 but it's a shaker and A8 with 3.90 gear. a screw won't play well with that. plan now is Procharger 6 PSI on E85.YES VERY CONSERVATIVE !

Tuner says 200 hp+ to the tire. I will be happy with that. Thanks Teddyp

Not so sure about the E85. I don't know anybody personally with it, I can only tell you what I found out from talking to a few different builders. From what I understand E85 out of one pump may not be the same out of another. It's not as "regulated" from what I understand as the fuels we are used too. That being the case I'd hesitate to mess with that and my tune. Also, although it is a little cheaper, you need more of it to produce the same amount of miles driven so you'll be at the pump more. If your hell bent on a Procharger, I'd skip the E85 nonsense and use that money for a ported 6.1 intake. Just my opinion. Hope I helps. Good luck, have fun, please be safe.

Teddyp, on 06 Dec 2016 - 8:32 PM, said:

Not so sure about the E85. I don't know anybody personally with it, I can only tell you what I found out from talking to a few different builders. From what I understand E85 out of one pump may not be the same out of another. It's not as "regulated" from what I understand as the fuels we are used too. That being the case I'd hesitate to mess with that and my tune. Also, although it is a little cheaper, you need more of it to produce the same amount of miles driven so you'll be at the pump more. If your hell bent on a Procharger, I'd skip the E85 nonsense and use that money for a ported 6.1 intake. Just my opinion. Hope I helps. Good luck, have fun, please be safe.

Thanks for the tips but I am quite familiar with E85 . I have been looking into the 6.1 manifold and for the cost seems silly not to do it and yes I am 'hell bent 'on the Procharger for several reasons..  it takes some RPM to build boost . which I see as a good thing.. less cylinder pressure below 3k making it a little easier on pistons . I have an A8 with 3.90 gear.. I do not need help below 3K . car is stock except for MT DR's and the gear and my 60's are in the 1.60's now.( best 1.62 )  I need HP up top.. I could go back to 3.09's and follow the crowd but what fun would that be ?. my  tuner has many 9 sec Hellcats  and one stock bottom end Scat that has been 10.30's on E85 so he knows the fuel.  lot's of benefits to E85.. higher octane and the alcohol has a cooling effect keeping cylinder temps down. VERY important on the 6.4's.  thanks for the input... god I love this shit !

Thanks for the tips but I am quite familiar with E85 . I have been looking into the 6.1 manifold and for the cost seems silly not to do it and yes I am 'hell bent 'on the Procharger for several reasons.. it takes some RPM to build boost . which I see as a good thing.. less cylinder pressure below 3k making it a little easier on pistons . I have an A8 with 3.90 gear.. I do not need help below 3K . car is stock except for MT DR's and the gear and my 60's are in the 1.60's now.( best 1.62 ) I need HP up top.. I could go back to 3.09's and follow the crowd but what fun would that be ?. my tuner has many 9 sec Hellcats and one stock bottom end Scat that has been 10.30's on E85 so he knows the fuel. lot's of benefits to E85.. higher octane and the alcohol has a cooling effect keeping cylinder temps down. VERY important on the 6.4's. thanks for the input... god I love this shit !

I have a ported 6.1 manifold for sale if you are interested let me know

SmallBlockMuscle, on 06 Dec 2016 - 9:27 PM, said:

I have a ported 6.1 manifold for sale if you are interested let me know

I could be . new here.. can we discuss $$$ ?  or PM

E85 requires about ~30% more fuel. So you could be talking about new injectors and pump depending on what you got. Also E85 is extremely corrosive so the fuel lines and any rubber in contact with it must be rated for it or you'll hate life. Then there's the fact that that fuel is prone to moisture contamination which will impact it's octane rating. If you're consistently running it, normally your ok but if the car is going to sit for extended periods of time or if where you're buying it from doesn't get regular bouts of fresh fuel you'll end up with a problem if tuned to the ragged edge. Personally it's not what I would recommend nor does it come cheap when setting up for it.