Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

funkpolice

Any Advise Removing Heads?

36 posts in this topic

I will check the preload, but in the event it's off, what do I do about it?  custom length pushrods?  the pushrods I put in were 6.650 and 7.875 , 0.80 wall, 5/16".

bill

I only had time to tear apart one side, here's what I found.

#2  I-0.144, E-0.114

#8  I-0.148, E-0.118

#4  I-0.170, E-0.112

#6  I-0.130, E-0.129

Are these preload values in the acceptable range?

bill

That's the amount of preload? If so those intakes are probably going solid on you which explains the noise. The exhaust all though on the high side are ok.

those numbers are the difference between the adjustable pushrods and the rods I'm using.  I backed the adjustable rod out until I could just barely turn it by hand, then measured that with a set of calipers, subtracted that from the length of my pushrods.  What is the preload I should shoot for? 0.100?  Is it better to error on the long side or the short side? 

I just need to length of the adjustable set at zero lash. Then add .100 and then find something close give or take less then .030. Looking at those numbers I thought you were gives me the preload value.

wow brain dead day for me. So those are the preload numbers right? Another words the adjustable plus that number is what the push rods you have now are right?

With that said are you sure about both the .130 and .170 numbers? That's a pretty big discrepancy for the valve stem installed height. Or the length of the push rod unless you're using manleys. Those damn things can be all over the road.

I'm not sure of anything these days.  I talked to Erik and he told me that Craig didn't do anything to the heads that would change the  preload.  Im guessing that I didn't telescope the adjustable rods out enough and that gave me a larger preload than I actually have.  A few days into it and I don't think the valve train is that loud anymore, just a different sound than I was used to.  under the hood the the injectors are way louder than the heads are, but from the side it sounds like the vavle train from the headers....I hope?

Well if he didn't touch the valves there's something going on. I know it's a PITA but you might have to double check what you did. I'd almost say you might not have fully seated the adjustable in the lifter with that much of a difference or something. Go get a cheap automotive stethoscope and listen to eavery inch of the motor at the lifter valley. If you do have a huge difference in the valve train you'll hear the difference in noise. If it all sounds the same well.....

By chance anything crazy with the block being decked? If the heads are untouched that's the only place that could tighten up the preload. I don't remember what you did for a build.