Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Dwhip

Bigger Radiator

I run a Joelvan rad from when I was playing on a local road course. It did help with cooling for extended romps.

But...  it is heavier (in the worst place possible if you're a drag racer) and takes up a lot of room (a simple serpentine belt swap is a pain in the azz).

If I was to do it over again, I'd keep my RT rad and spend the money elsewhere.

I've been considering Mishimoto as a new replacement for my '15 SRT.  Looks like a quality high performance aluminum rad. and weighs 15#-17# plus fluid.  From what I've been able to find, OEM rad. weighs 19#.  I think it boils down to rad. weight is not as important as performance here.

I've been considering Mishimoto as a new replacement for my '15 SRT. Looks like a quality high performance aluminum rad. and weighs 15#-17# plus fluid. From what I've been able to find, OEM rad. weighs 19#. I think it boils down to rad. weight is not as important as performance here.

You statement leads me to think they reduced the fin count. There's a huge difference in cooling capacity between a HE that utilizes a 8-10 to a 14-18 fin count per inch. And the ability to dissipate heat between the two is drastic. I spent a great deal of money and effort testing back when I used to sell front mount HE's for the PD blower crowd. Just giving you something y consider.

I've been considering Mishimoto as a new replacement for my '15 SRT.  Looks like a quality high performance aluminum rad. and weighs 15#-17# plus fluid.  From what I've been able to find, OEM rad. weighs 19#.  I think it boils down to rad. weight is not as important as performance here.

It's been quite a while, but I recall thinking that the Joelvan would be about 15 pounds heavier (rad plus lots of extra fluid)...  all in front of the engine. ??

Just so ya know it has a 1/2gl larger capacity than the RT rad but On par with a SRT rad plus it built in AC condenser which I wouldn't want. Also it says this is a Pre-sale which would worry me.

Good info Cam.  If OK here, this is the link to their product https://www.mishimoto.com/dodge-challenger-srt8-hellcat-radiator-2008-2016.html.  I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts.

That's the one I was looking at if I replace mines

Just so ya know it has a 1/2gl larger capacity than the RT rad but On par with a SRT rad plus it built in AC condenser which I wouldn't want. Also it says this is a Pre-sale which would worry me.

Cam why wouldn't you want the built in AC condenser?

That's the one I was looking at if I replace mines

Cam why wouldn't you want the built in AC condenser?

Service would be a bitch for one if your building a car that might need to be wrenched on more than once you dont want it.  Something i would buy if i didn't like someone because somewhere down the road its going to piss them off :)

Had the other two get the one from joelvan. Though i have yet to actually need anything past the stock SRT radiator even in the Texas heat.

I spent a great deal of money and effort testing back when I used to sell front mount HE's for the PD blower crowd 

Do you still have any to sell? Looking at possibly upgrading the stock kb 2.8lc if it makes sense. 

Do you still have any to sell? Looking at possibly upgrading the stock kb 2.8lc if it makes sense.

I have everything here to make a couple. But these ran about $1,600. If you're a good fab guy you can build it yourself for a little over a grand. If your interested I'd sell just the HE and fan enclosure and show you what fab work was involved. What killed me was the lower grill. When I was building these I had access to the stock upper grill take outs that SMS was throwing away that I modified to work in the lower grill section. When that dried up I couldn't come up with a better solution so I stopped making them as a kit, well that and plus I just burned out on the whole thing.

I have everything here to make a couple. But these ran about $1,600. If you're a good fab guy you can build it yourself for a little over a grand. If your interested I'd sell just the HE and fan enclosure and show you what fab work was involved. What killed me was the lower grill. When I was building these I had access to the stock upper grill take outs that SMS was throwing away that I modified to work in the lower grill section. When that dried up I couldn't come up with a better solution so I stopped making them as a kit, well that and plus I just burned out on the whole thing.

Ok thanks for the info. Out of my league at this point, but figured I would ask

We have never run anything but an SRT radiator on our big builds; even ones where the entire front end is covered by a massive intercooler. We also use the stock water pump, coolant, and overflow.

945285_845176972275608_23762486386050886

I bought the fluidyne thinking it would be a big improvement over stock. Nope, made about 5 degrees difference with the ac on and sitting in traffic. It was def heavier than my oem radiator. I'm with Micah....if I had to do it over again....it would get a stock srt radiator back in it