Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

tomoro

Belt Tensioner

I put the American Racing tensioner on my car back in November. I was getting a lot of belt slip with the Dayco tensioner at WOT. The AR fixed it. It is a well built tensioner. Not cheap but I thank it is worth the money. We checked it on Speedy's car before I put it on my car.We picked up over a full lb of boost at WOT from no belt slip. I have not had a chance to do any data logging on my car yet. AR tensioner . Good product.

I've got ARS, solid billet 1/2 in hole and I believe 15mm if you need to get to it from bottom. I was having serious belt chirp with dayco this solved my problem. ARS vs dayco a74324423a7b035ff5135951c827499e.jpg

38 or 50 lbs spring tension ?

I went with the 38 lb spring. My car is not a full time track car & Frank suggested going with the 38 lb for that reason. He said it would be a little easier on the AC & alternator pulleys. He said a new Dayco tensioner was around 19 lbs compared to ARS tensioner at 38 or 50 lbs.  I have not gone to the track with it yet. Bowling Green will open the first weekend of March. I will test it there with data logs.

I went with the 38 lb spring. My car is not a full time track car & Frank suggested going with the 38 lb for that reason. He said it would be a little easier on the AC & alternator pulleys. He said a new Dayco tensioner was around 19 lbs compared to ARS tensioner at 38 or 50 lbs.  I have not gone to the track with it yet. Bowling Green will open the first weekend of March. I will test it there with data logs.

good to know 50lbs it's too heavy for street/strip car

$495 as opposed to the $26 Dayco that i bought new.  Wish i had the $ but that won't happen. Thanks for your response. CK.

i do have a spare which is ok for now.

I had just put a new Dayco tensioner with a new Gates belt on my car in June last year & at WOT I was getting belt slip like crazy. I had dropped almost a lb of boost & belt dust every where. I put the new ARS tensioner on with a new designed belt just for superchargers from Gates & so for so good. I have done a few WOT hits & no belt dust at all. Like I said I will test it at BG in March with logs.

Mine is a Vortech. I thing I have solved the problem with the new ARS tensioner & the new RPM belt from Gates.

I've got a Vortech YSI at 20psi... Sooooooooo...???

Sooooo?  He had belt slip on his setup.  I saw it in logs and saw the dust all over his car.  He put this tensioner and new belt and good to go.  We put it on my car for giggles and did back to back data logs at WOT in 3rd and I picked up a pound of boost on mine over the Dayco I run every day.

It's expensive, but if you have belt slip issues it does the ticket.

Another (less expensive) option is to have your pulley coated in Carbinite. It's sort of like a weld-on sandpaper finish. We've been doing it for years and it works every time.

Another (less expensive) option is to have your pulley coated in Carbinite. It's sort of like a weld-on sandpaper finish. We've been doing it for years and it works every time.

I tried this and belts didn't last very long. May be fine for a weekend only drag car but I wouldn't do it on a daily driver.