Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

BayouTiger

Possibly Pulling The Trigger

32 posts in this topic

Been looking at new trucks and ran across this unicorn. Amazing how hard it is to find the Ram exactly as you want it on a lot. I've just never been much on ordering from the factory. Still been agonizing over whether I want to live with a 2500 Cummins.. I don't tow that often, but 4x a year I go on 1400 mile journeys with the car hauler. That's almost half my mileage. Also would sure like to move to an enclosed trailer soon.

Will probably have my local guy go get this for me. It's on a lot over in Opelousas.

IMG_0096_zpstjq1vnzw.jpg

like i said on FB chuck.....compared to a 1500 its night and day difference. 

Fuel mileage compared to my ecodiesel is almost half, but gotta pay to play. 

on your hemi it might be comparable. 

are you getting it with the auto levelling rear suspension?   i drove a buddies with coil springs and it was comparable to the air suspension, but with a bit of weight in the back there was a noticable difference between ride comfort on the air ride and the coil spring.  

you cant go wrong with these trucks.... its a WIN WIN .. 

Buying a Hemi 2500 or 1500 to just drive....21 mpg or so.....put ANYTHING behind it and you'll be lucky to see 10 mpg....

Pulling power , Fuel mileage 20-25 mpg pulling or not , over all longevity.... Cummins all the way . We own 17 Dodge , 5500 , 3500 and 2500 trucks with Cummins All 4x4 .....Model years from '01 to '16 . Mileages from a couple thousand to over 300,000

One big thing with the Cummins.....if you don't work it regularly ;  take it out and beat on it periodically ....they like it !

You can't go wrong with a Cummins Chuck.  I love both of mine.  Shoot, my dually runs 14 second quarter miles, and get 20+ miles per gallon running empty, then pulls the snot out of my enclosed 28 foot trailer.

The one I am looking at does not have the air suspension, but the AirLift bags would be the first mod done. 

My 1500 gets about 20 on the highway IF I stay at 65 (yeah right!). At 70 it gets out of ECO and drops to 17. City is about 12-13. 

Towing can be fairly big swings. Just trailer and car and it might be 10-11, put tires on the rack and it drops to 9 or so. Never seen 12 with a trailer. 

I also have a feeling that if they move these to Warren the price is going to go up, and they are already pretty absurd. 

I average 18 with a total mix and freeway at 80. Towing with my open trailer netted 14 at 70+. And the one time I did a long haul with an small but heavy enclosed was about the same. I haven't tried towing a 24ft with a car in it though. For myself I just can't warrant upgrading since I only tow 3-4 times a year but if given the option or the fact I average over 30k miles a year just committing I'd walk away from the gasser in a second.

I say go for it ;)

I've always had 2500's until I went to a 1500 in 2010. The ride was way better but I felt like I was going to break the truck towing equipment around with it. I went back to a 2500 in 13 but I talked myself out of the Cummins and got the 5.7, it towed OK but nothing like the Cummins. After seeing Mani's new truck I started looking at trucks again and I just bought one this morning. 17 3500 larime sport with the Cummins and aisin transmission. I can't wait to tow with this torque monster. 900ft lbs of torque is crazy. The Cummins in my Kenworth dump truck only has 1550ft lbs.

I say go for it the only regret will be the ride around town but once you hook up the trailer it'll be more then worth it.

This isn't mine but it's the same truck. I pick it up Saturday after they finish the spray in bed liner.

Screenshot_20170215-083801_zpsg0btg3fd.p

Haha. They're hard to resist.

Chuck no need for helper bags.

My buddies truck tows just fine without them.

And shaggy. The ride isn't as bad as you'd think.

They're definitly hard to resist, I've been holding back because mine was paid off then you got me looking again Dodge owes you some commission lol .

You're probably right about the ride quality I only had the one 1500 and I remember it was better but I came from an 07 2500 which is a tank compared to the new trucks, also my 13 2500 has the old style front end in it so that's probably a bad comparison as well. I only drove the new one a few miles but it seemed a bit better then mine and that's with 800lb heavier springs in it and only 9 miles on it so things are still a bit stiff. I've been looking at Thuren Fabrication springs and shocks vs just a leveling kit. Supposedly his springs are pretty good vs the stiff stock springs.

That red is gorgeous, a local dealer has one like that, but I gotta have my Ramboxes. The Laramie is a palace compared to my Outdoorsman. Thanks for the tip on the springs, Mani. I am so used to my 1500 doing the squats with the slightest load.

I would really like to replace the steps with Powerboards, but the Bestop's on my Ram were so bad I am gunshy. The Amp's I put on my old Titan are still solid as a rock. If they make a set that uses three arms I will go that way.

Gawd dang it shag. Why'd ya have to go and post that picture. Now I want one. And if the phone call I just got about heading up a project pans out I'm gonna need a 4x. Oh fuck me to tears. lol.

Haha. They're hard to resist.

Chuck no need for helper bags.

My buddies truck tows just fine without them.

And shaggy. The ride isn't as bad as you'd think.

My 1500 rides better than my Scat Pack lol!

Did you pull the trigger yet Chuck? I picked mine up this afternoon. So happy to be driving a Cummins again I should've pulled the trigger last time instead of settling for the 5.7. I absolutely love this color looks dark in the shade and bright and deep in the sun.

IMG_20170218_153540554_zpshji82qlx.jpg

As a matter of fact I did pick mine up today, just had to go a couple hours to get it. My first time driving a Cummins. Absolutely amazed at how quiet the truck is on the road. I thinks we all got the same setup in different colors, though I gotta have my saddlebags!

IMG_1687_zpsuojpm6zn.jpg

Yeah, it always surprises me that they are so hard to find. I actually. Did the build online and searched and it brought up the one truck as an exact match. I also looked in Houston, and Atlanta and still only the one so I drove the 125 miles to grab it. My local guy could have traded for it, but I do think it's worth rewarding a dealer that actually stocks what I want.