Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

us1champ

Drive Shaft Question

at one time DSS used to make a 2 pc chrome moly drive shaft.. they no longer show this on there web site.

I was curious. What is the conscious on the 1 pc alum? I would like to know if there is any vibration issues on a one pc vs say the two pc..  

thanks

chris

The one piece is the way to go. They make them damped now to reduce vibrations but to be honest, I never noticed any vibrations with the older non-damped shafts. We've also found these to reduce enough drivetrain loss to free up around 20whp.

If you're in the market email me at micah@ostdyno.com. We'll work out a deal and I'll get one on order for you. 

The one piece is the way to go. They make them damped now to reduce vibrations but to be honest, I never noticed any vibrations with the older non-damped shafts. We've also found these to reduce enough drivetrain loss to free up around 20whp.

If you're in the market email me at micah@ostdyno.com. We'll work out a deal and I'll get one on order for you. 

is  DSS or  GFORCE  perfomance  drive shaft  better

is  DSS or  GFORCE  perfomance  drive shaft  better

We prefer the DSS but have not done enough testing to answer that question.

GForce uses Dynotech Engineering for their shafts.  I broke one of these with no warranty after 9 passes. I would not recommend using these.   

We are having vibration issues with a DSS 4" one piece on a Charger at 90 to 95 mph.  Not having any luck getting any help from DSS.  They told us to take the solid bushings out and go back to the stock bushings. 

GForce uses Dynotech Engineering for their shafts.  I broke one of these with no warranty after 9 passes. I would not recommend using these.   

We are having vibration issues with a DSS 4" one piece on a Charger at 90 to 95 mph.  Not having any luck getting any help from DSS.  They told us to take the solid bushings out and go back to the stock bushings. 

so both sound bad then  ....................??.

Check your pinion angle, I had a similar issue when I first installed and I had to adjust the angle downward a bit .  Once done the vibration was immediately gone.

I ordered a g force carbon fiber. Let's just say the cust service and technical assistance was such crap that I sold it and bought a dss. That is not a joke

We raised the trans back up(removed the spacers supplied by DSS) and the vibration moved further up in mph.  Tried lowering the rear down more and it got worse.  Cant raise the rear due to interference with fuel tank.

Eric suggested pinion angle when I spoke to him but we are limited on space raising the rear and the trans.

DSS has switched to damped driveshafts for this very reason and you can no longer buy the non-damped style. See if you can get them to either modify yours or get you a damped unit.

As a last ditch effort you could try spacing down the rear cradle so you can raise the pinion. We have 1/4" steel Anti-hop plates that go beneath the bushings but it should work as a spacer on the top the bushing as well.

Drive shaft is on it's way back to DSS for the second time.  Not sure what Frank wants to do with it, but he no longer makes a 2 piece unit for the Charger so we are kind of screwed.

I've got the DSS chromoly 2 piece in mine.  I always said I'd upgrade to a 1 piece aluminum DSS unit if I change things.  Only concern I've ever seen is it fitting in the available drive shaft loops and potentially contacting aftermarket shifters due to size.

Well we will find out speedy

I got one coming and I have the Barton shifter as well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have been through too many DS loops already. My original Petty's did not fit the first DSS so Petty's made one custom for me which I am sure became the standard. Then it did not fit the 9" so I bought tow others and neither fit, though they were supposed to. At this point I have given up on a loop. Honestly, with the Exhaust on the 4" is basically in a tunnel with no place to go. I don't see any way it's going anywhere. 

The Barton is fine with the 4" 

I'd love to design a loop that fits the 4" DSS driveshaft. There's lots of need for one. I'll see what I can come up with in the next month or so.

I'm running a modified petty on mine.  We made it taller by an inch and then ground the leading edge by the shifter to keep it from hitting.  Also had to raise the shifter with small nylon spacers under the floor plate to get it to clear.