Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

G Funk

Will My Stock Drivetrain Handle Slicks?

Just like the title says, i have a stock drive train (2013 R/T Automatic) and wondering if i can use Murrays slicks at the track this Friday or if i am going to break something.  I am currently pushing 555hp and 508tq to the wheels.  

Do you have upgraded half shafts out back?

No i have not upgraded anything yet.  Should i just use some drag radials instead until i upgrade the half shafts?

Possibility of a twisted drive shaft or broke axle is high if it dead hooks with those slicks. Definitely on borrowed time. lol

Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone.  Looks like i just need to go with some drag radials for now.  Luckily this car is no longer my daily driver so at least if i do break it i have a backup plan :)

Ok, thanks for the feedback everyone.  Looks like i just need to go with some drag radials for now.  Luckily this car is no longer my daily driver so at least if i do break it i have a backup plan :)

I'd argue that slicks are easier on the drive train than drag radials... those slicks have softer sidewalls than drag radials and will absorb some of the shock of launching in wrinkling up initially.  If you get any sort of slip-grab in the drag radials the shocks in the drive train are sharper and increases the odds of breaking something.  Drag radials, at your (most of our) power levels, will either dead hook, spin, or "wheel hop" (spin-grab).

So 3 votes for the slicks huh?  Hmmmm, please keep the replies coming.  I don't want to waste money on DR's if i can use that towards upgrading the drivetrain and use slicks on the mean time.  I appreciate the feedback!

It you are taking votes, I too am certain that you'll survive longer with slicks as they are much more forgiving especially with a standard, but I do know quite a few guys with a lot of passes on DR's with an AUTO. DR's and a Tremec are a ticket to mucho carnage. 

I went with the slicks and ran a 12.0 3 times in a row.  Consistent, but slower than i wanted.  As far as the tires they hooked really well every time i made a pass and i was able to drive my car to the track (swap to slicks and skinnies) and then drive it back home.  Now i need more boost B)

Two Getrags and a driveshaft was the carnage from one day at CF8, but I think all were on DR's except one Getrag was fine all day on DR's then broke when he made one pass on streets after changing back. You just never know!

1 hour ago, Blue Blur said:

If it hooks really hard and breaks shit, put more air in them the next time.

I had this in mind so i ran the rears at 15.5 tire pressure and the fronts at 40.  I think i will keep the rears at 15.5 until i beef up my stock drive train.