Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
marshalrogers

6.1 Challenger Adding Supercharger - Need Advice

31 posts in this topic

Apologies up front for the amount of individual questions but I figured I may as well toss it all out there!!   :rolleyes:

So I am about 75% sure that I want to go with a Whipple on my mostly stock 2009 SRT8 (6.1) Challenger.  I will be doing the install in my garage which has a car lift so it should be pretty easy to get the crank pinned.  The car currently has a catch can, SOLO cat-back exhaust and stock air box with K/N filter along with the standard Diablo tunes.

Questions:

For the "complete kits" there is a lot of variance between vendors on what is included from Whipple vs what has been swapped for better parts. Am I safe with the default stuff from Whipple or is there certain parts I really need to consider upgrading?

How difficult is the email tune process and can a Diablo inTune do the job or will I need to go up to a Trinity?

How important is it to include the A/F ratio gauge in the car while running a SC?  Do I need it for the email tune process?

I have received quotes from a few vendors I found on the various forums and prices seem very close so it comes down to you guys.  Who is the current best vendor to order a complete kit from (with email tune)?  , 

Here is the 25% doubt that I am dealing with:  Should I really reconsider for a ProCharger system instead if the car is going to see 90%+ street time?  Should I consider cam, heads, and headers instead of a SC?

My goals for the car is to have it "run with the big boys" during the weekend cruising and possibly make a pass or two at the track each year as part of a car show event locally.  It is not my daily driver but does make road trips (400+ mile) a few times a year for shows.

Thanks for the great forum and any comments/ suggestions!

Boost and AFR gauge in one is pretty nice. Buy the Whipple from one of the forum vendors here AJ, A2speed, should have no issues.

Email tuning can be a pain in the ass, mostly trying to find the real estate for WOT runs.

Thanks for all the replies.  I will have to short list the A/F ratio gauge I guess.  I don't like the pillar pod clusters and can't really tell how good the sunglass mount fits with the rest of the interior.

The WOT runs aren't too bad of a problem here in Nebraska!   lol

You offering to come down to Lincoln and help with the install Goehner?  

You don't want him helping. He's on his fourth engine!!

Haha

I think any of our venders will do a good job. I use AJ

Definitely get the LMI TRUE COLD AIR and a trinity and a af wide band. I have both the sunglass mount and piller pod. The mount you can't really see to good. I have duel scan gauges up there. And the pod I have boost and af you need a wide band so they can monitor af in the tune. It's a must have. Wire it up thru the trinity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies.  I will have to short list the A/F ratio gauge I guess.  I don't like the pillar pod clusters and can't really tell how good the sunglass mount fits with the rest of the interior.

The WOT runs aren't too bad of a problem here in Nebraska!   lol

You offering to come down to Lincoln and help with the install Goehner?  

See what Renfrick says above lol

Hopefully my answers will be of help. They are in red below:

For the "complete kits" there is a lot of variance between vendors on what is included from Whipple vs what has been swapped for better parts. Am I safe with the default stuff from Whipple or is there certain parts I really need to consider upgrading? I always use the default items from Whipple unless I am changing the pulley size. 

How difficult is the email tune process and can a Diablo inTune do the job or will I need to go up to a Trinity? We do numerous email tunes a month and have had great success. Just ask some of the people on this forum or visit our website. It's not as daunting as you would think. The Trinity is definitely recommended over the i2.

How important is it to include the A/F ratio gauge in the car while running a SC?  Do I need it for the email tune process? If you are taking the car to a dyno that has a quality sensor and the ability to record the data you do not need one. If you are going with the email tuning route it is a necessity. There is no need for an external gauge with the Trinity; the O2 signal can be fed into the Trinity so you can watch the AFR while driving and log for tuning.

I have received quotes from a few vendors I found on the various forums and prices seem very close so it comes down to you guys.  Who is the current best vendor to order a complete kit from (with email tune)? I've heard OST Dyno is the best :)

Here is the 25% doubt that I am dealing with:  Should I really reconsider for a ProCharger system instead if the car is going to see 90%+ street time?  Should I consider cam, heads, and headers instead of a SC? A Whipple is far superior to a P1 Procharger. Stick with your plans for a Whipple, you won't be disappointed.

I can get you all of the items you asked about (Whipple kit, wideband, Trinity, email tune, etc). Just shoot me an email at Micah@OSTDyno.com and I'll get you a quote for everything. 

Thanks for the replies.  

I wish the payments on a Hellcat would be in the same ballpark as my SRT8!

Sounds like I can save some money just hooking the wide-band to the Trinity instead of mounting a gauge.  Any issues going that route?

I sent you an email Micah.  

You should get a gauge. $100. You don't usually drive around with your trinity mounted all the time. The gage is always on and you can monitor it. The cable for the trinity I think is $16. Not much of a saving.

Like Micah said, no need for spending money on a gauge or a gauge mount - unless yoou really want an extra gauge mounted in your car. The wideband is for tuning. After that's done you can use the trinity when racing or testing tuning changes. Otherwise daily drive like most factory cars with no need for an extra gauge or gauge pod. Much cleaner looking too.

Like Micah said, no need for spending money on a gauge or a gauge mount - unless yoou really want an extra gauge mounted in your car. The wideband is for tuning. After that's done you can use the trinity when racing or testing tuning changes. Otherwise daily drive like most factory cars with no need for an extra gauge or gauge pod. Much cleaner looking too.

True but I have yet to figure out how to log runs and have the gauges up during a run at the same time. Maybe you or Micah can show me at CF.

True but I have yet to figure out how to log runs and have the gauges up during a run at the same time. Maybe you or Micah can show me at CF.

I'm not sure how to NOT have the gauges up while logging! I can certainly show you how we do it :)

I think I may make a Trinity usage thread. I just got a new one because mine seemed wonks, but the new one seems to act like the old one to some degree. 

I'm not sure how to NOT have the gauges up while logging! I can certainly show you how we do it :)

We have so many things we log I am not sure how you would read them on the trinity while you are driving. The screen is so cluttered. If AFR and boost were not seperate gauges, that you can read out of the corner of your eye, there would be no way Incould read everything we logg on the trinity screens. I guess our setup needs to be different on the trinity.

That is an interesting thought BayouTigress.  Can you post a picture of the screen you are talking about as I am having trouble visualizing.

I guess it comes down to the level of importance of knowing the A/F number during normal operation.  Is it something I will need to actively monitor at all times or just during tuning??

That is an interesting thought BayouTigress.  Can you post a picture of the screen you are talking about as I am having trouble visualizing.

I guess it comes down to the level of importance of knowing the A/F number during normal operation.  Is it something I will need to actively monitor at all times or just during tuning??

We have ours, AFR and boost, on a guage pod in the middle of the dash so I do not have to use the trinity. We have a screen full of things on the trinity we log during a run. Trying to pic out afr or boost when the screen is full of gauges, like 6 on a page, for different readings, I would never find them. I guess OST sets up a seperate screen for the one or two things they want their driver to see. Ours is not set up that way. And they are all digital. I prefer analog as a needle is easier for me to read at a glance than a number. Again maybe that is just the way ours is set up.

You are correct. We set up a screen specifically for racing with just Lambda and KR. You can also set up the Trinity so the lights on the side will flicker or illuminate when a certain value is reached (i.e. overboost, too lean, etc.).

One of the things I need to do is connect my AFR to the trinity. I know the wire is stuffed behind the gauge, just never connected it. Kinda crazy not to be logging it. 

One of the things I need to do is connect my AFR to the trinity. I know the wire is stuffed behind the gauge, just never connected it. Kinda crazy not to be logging it. 

The Trinity logging is really functional for us. Like Micah mentioned we set up the initial "Gauge Page" to show only AFR and for me KR - but you can make a "gauge page" show whatever you want. The Trinity is still logging all the other PID's we want to log but they are on different pages so that the screen is not cluttered and difficult to read. As Micah also mentioned you can program the LED's around the Trinity button. So in my Jeep for example I have AFR, KR and Boost. I have the LED's programmed to "flash" Red if I go too lean at WOT and the LED's flash Yellow if I have over 2 degrees of KR. So when I am being pushed back into the seat all I look for if thinks get tense is the LED's, if it's a smooth pass I also watch the AFR and boost. Piece of cake!

The Trinity logging is really functional for us. Like Micah mentioned we set up the initial "Gauge Page" to show only AFR and for me KR - but you can make a "gauge page" show whatever you want. The Trinity is still logging all the other PID's we want to log but they are on different pages so that the screen is not cluttered and difficult to read. As Micah also mentioned you can program the LED's around the Trinity button. So in my Jeep for example I have AFR, KR and Boost. I have the LED's programmed to "flash" Red if I go too lean at WOT and the LED's flash Yellow if I have over 2 degrees of KR. So when I am being pushed back into the seat all I look for if thinks get tense is the LED's, if it's a smooth pass I also watch the AFR and boost. Piece of cake!

That would be nice. Ours is not set up that sophisticated. Just a bunch of gauges.