Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JJhamitlon

Boost Is Coming!

225 posts in this topic

Well it's finally going to happen, I've got my ducks lined up and within the next 3 months I should be dropping off my 2013 at Steve Whites for a blower install and long tubes. Luke there has been great to deal with and answered all my retarded questions...like many of you guys have in the past!

Now I'm at the point of trying to decide which PD I'm going to go with....I've read and read, watched vid after vid, and I'm as close to a decision as I was last month....

I've been debating between the 2.8 LC KB, or the 2.9 Whipple.....honestly the Maggie isn't exactly out of the equation. Speedy has proven the Maggie can do some impressive performance, but I remember him saying if he had it to again he would have went Whipple ( that's still true? ).

So my future plans are not going to be crazy, when the motor is forged ( auto replaced ) I'm not planning on hunting 9's...it's going to be a fun car to "play" with. With that in my head the Maggie seems like prob the easiest and smartest choice from what I understand the driving characteristics are the best and is easiest to tune....but the allure to a twin screw and potential I hear for the Whipple and KB is hard to ignore...I don't want to be wishing I'd made a different choice in a couple years.

I get the impression the KB is of course an awesome PD but it's aimed more for the hardcore, is the Whipple that mid ground between the Maggie and KB? I read a lot of iAT concerns with the KB ( also read customer service problems there too ). The info I found between Whipple and KB is distorted by arguments and generalized...can you guys give me your thoughts on what someone like me would be more suited with?

Current aim is around 500 rwhp, after forging 700 rwhp....better yet, i don't care about dyno numbers only ETs...current aim is high 11s ( I'm hoping I can get high 11s, is that dreaming?) after forging 10s...

I run an eforce basically stock and I'm at 11.5 with the LMI true cai. So I think better then that is easily achievable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I run an eforce basically stock and I'm at 11.5 with the LMI true cai. So I think better then that is easily achievable

Oh wow, thats great news! My current with CAI, custom tune is 13.49 @ 106...street tires. I keep seeing 12s with 6-8psi blowers, I figured I couldn't do better even though it just seems slow considering I see stock coyotes crushing it.

My key was Legmaker's intake. I was 12.0 without it.

The LMI made that much of a dif!! Writing it down in the plan book right now! What PSI are you at? Exhaust, shorties or LT?

My best with the Maggie was 11.3@123. This weekend I went to the track and was consistently hitting 11.4@ 121 so 11's are doable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I'm at 6-7 psi with solo exhaust and LMI intake. That's it. AJ tunes it. I have dr 's and skinny 's for the track.

^^^ slowman^^^^^ :olol lol B)

I've heard about your HellCat block!! Can't wait to see how that runs, especially considering I'm going to needs some upgrade internals soon enough!!

My E-Force tops out at about 8lbs, but on a 426 with LT headers and no cats. Makes about 650ish.

See I didn't think the Eforce of the Maggie where big enough to feed big CI motors!?

**So what is the allure of the twin screws then? The "smaller" models the 2.8 KB & the 2.9 Whipple....what is the point one should start considering ththe n over the roots ( Maggie and Eforce)?? What makes them better? IATs lower, more boost lower rpm, more power for the boost?? You guys educate me please!!

I don't get into that technical shit. I bought it because it's quite and looks cool. I never really thought the Maggie looked good under the hood. Mine has a nice finished look it's a street car I race 4-5 times a year. Not a race car I drive 4-5 times a year

2.9 whipple hands down, ask any of the installers that have done the various PD blowers and biggest majority are going to recommend the 2.9 whipple. Call Erik at BFNY he's installed them all, see what he tells you.

Is this going on a R/T 5.7 or a 392 ?

2.9 whipple hands down, ask any of the installers that have done the various PD blowers and biggest majority are going to recommend the 2.9 whipple. Call Erik at BFNY he's installed them all, see what he tells you.

This man is correct.

I would have done the whipple had it been around. The Maggie and Eforce are great for street use. Simple and reliable. They are able to put you right at the 600hp level. I think 600 is a magic number. Plenty of oomph for the street and fun at the track while keeping things reliable. Go much higher and you introduce a lot more issues to strengthen everything.

We used to have about 50 more HP when I had a twin screw, but we were never as reliable and consistent as when we went to the 2.3. Of course I did not have a Whipple, but a Techco and we never had the tuning and experience available today. Did have the best looking blower made though! :)

2013 R/T 5.7 auto. Was originally going for a Procharger D1, but I've been convinced I'd have more fun with a PD. I'm not going to BS, my main reason for looking at the KB was the looks, they look cool and from what I've heard the have the most sound. The car is not going to be more than a fun street car for a long time. Even later on when I invest more into the motor I'm not trying to compete with you guys that spend the effort at the strip. I want to have fun driving around, look good at the car meets and sound intimidating...with that said, I'd like for it to perform admirable when I do a pass, I don't want a 500rwhp dyno sheet and a 12 second 1/4 slip!!! I'll be going to the track no doubt, but I know I won't want to spend the money getting in the top.

The KB looks really cool to me, but I'm sorta afraid of it. The Whipple kit looks more "complete" and I mean like the connections, the little things..but the KB comes with a CAI, Whipple I'll apparently have to buy an LMI or mod mine to work ( can I?).

I am curious about the differences ( performance ) with the twins compared to the roots...I've read enough to see no one is ever disappointed with a Maggie ( don't seem to be with the EBlower either! ). Not much info about the Whipple, and the only things I hear about the KB that are negative is customer support and IATs....

***Im thinking with what I'm looking for to do with the car, pick the one I like the looks of and hold on...it doesn't seem I'll be disappointed!! It's a good problem to have I admit...just wish there was more info!!

I would have done the whipple had it been around. The Maggie and Eforce are great for street use. Simple and reliable. They are able to put you right at the 600hp level. I think 600 is a magic number. Plenty of oomph for the street and fun at the track while keeping things reliable. Go much higher and you introduce a lot more issues to strengthen everything.

We used to have about 50 more HP when I had a twin screw, but we were never as reliable and consistent as when we went to the 2.3. Of course I did not have a Whipple, but a Techco and we never had the tuning and experience available today. Did have the best looking blower made though! :)

I just don't like th looks of th EBlower...it just looks "plain" and that is what makes me look away from the Maggie...I know that's sounds really dumb and childish to choose a blower over looks instead of performance...I've read and been told the EBlower and the Maggie are like the shiznjt street blowers...and I can't deny I keep going back and looking at pics trying to fall for one..perfect streetability and tuning can't be ignored!!

Smart to do your research and have a plan.  A lot of people get tripped up without doing both so you're on a good start.

When the Whipple came out, I did think I'd prefer it over the Magnuson, however who have we seen really run a number with a Whipple?  They've been out for a while now and still not anyone I know of doing any better with it.  I've also heard there are some drivability challenges.  That's 3rd person rumor so take it for what it's worth.

What I can tell you is the Maggie won't disappoint.  They are easy to tune, run well, are reliable, and got my car in to the 10s as a manual trans car.  IATs were always good even at 16psi.

I'd narrow your search down to either Whipple or Magnuson and buy the one that you can get for the best price.  KB should be marked off the list for a whole lot of reasons.

These superchargers like air, so plan on a CAI at a minimum.  I gained 30RWHP with that.  I'd also suggest a 90mm TB and snout and have that included in your package as your tuner tunes it.  The 90mm can be tricky to get right and best to have it included up front.

Let me know of any questions and I'll try to help.  Come to ChallengerFest in two weeks and see these setups in person.

Smart to do your research and have a plan.  A lot of people get tripped up without doing both so you're on a good start.

When the Whipple came out, I did think I'd prefer it over the Magnuson, however who have we seen really run a number with a Whipple?  They've been out for a while now and still not anyone I know of doing any better with it.  I've also heard there are some drivability challenges.  That's 3rd person rumor so take it for what it's worth.

What I can tell you is the Maggie won't disappoint.  They are easy to tune, run well, are reliable, and got my car in to the 10s as a manual trans car.  IATs were always good even at 16psi.

I'd narrow your search down to either Whipple or Magnuson and buy the one that you can get for the best price.  KB should be marked off the list for a whole lot of reasons.

These superchargers like air, so plan on a CAI at a minimum.  I gained 30RWHP with that.  I'd also suggest a 90mm TB and snout and have that included in your package as your tuner tunes it.  The 90mm can be tricky to get right and best to have it included up front.

Let me know of any questions and I'll try to help.  Come to ChallengerFest in two weeks and see these setups in person.

Ok I'm so far aiming square at a Whipple...90m TB and snout...doesn't the Whipple already have an increased snout??

I appreciate the added advice...I need all of this I can, thank you!! Please all send all you can!!

I don't get into that technical shit. I bought it because it's quite and looks cool. I never really thought the Maggie looked good under the hood. Mine has a nice finished look it's a street car I race 4-5 times a year. Not a race car I drive 4-5 times a year

that is a true statement. :D

Of course, the E-force and Maggie are the same blower in different packaging. In theory, putting the I/C above the blower allows better cooling and longer runners which should give better low end torque. In reality I don't think there is any meaningful difference at all. I'm not a huge fan of the "loaf of bread" look. If you like that look and the Maggie appeals to you, I would check out Arrington's house branded blower which is the Maggie in a nicer looking case (no waffle iron).

As to street use, the Eaton hybrid Roots/Screw design is more forgiving. Twin Screws have been a handful on our platform as the boost is there immediately and have a light switch effect which can be a problem. Folks have found workarounds over the years like buffers and tuning has gotten better, but it's the nature of the blower design. I've heard Whipple has designed their bypass to behave better, but I think that's basically making it act more like the Eaton TVS. Nothing like being at a light with a Cop and sweating your launch because if you touch the pedal just a gnat's too much the rears explode into smoke, but that is the twin screw way. I've had both and can say that the Eaton is far more fun on the street, even if it's not as potentially capable on the track.

I find this thread VERY interesting.  I am also about to jump into the supercharger lake so the Whipple vs E-Force vs Maggie discussion is timely.

Seems like the race first people prefer the Whipple but the street first crew leans towards the Maggie and E-Force.  

Maybe I need to go back to researching the E-Force/Maggie option as I was full leaning Whipple until this thread.

If I had to do again ( not over again) I'd go whipple.

I like the eforce but the whipple is more expandable if you want more in the future.

I find this thread VERY interesting.  I am also about to jump into the supercharger lake so the Whipple vs E-Force vs Maggie discussion is timely.

Seems like the race first people prefer the Whipple but the street first crew leans towards the Maggie and E-Force.  

Maybe I need to go back to researching the E-Force/Maggie option as I was full leaning Whipple until this thread.

Whipple certainly has more headroom. Problem with power is that it is addicting. Everyone says "Supercharge it and be done" but you never are. I have said I was done many upgrades ago, but now thinking what do I need to get to the next level. In our case that is 190 at the Mile. Been hanging out at 185 for three years now. Problem is that the next goal is always elusive and the price tag escalates very quickly. 

Considering that the kits all cost the same, you have to ask yourself is you really have the ability to resist pulleying up when you get the urge and the next thing you know is you are looking at doing thing because you have to and not because you want to and the fun can come out of it quickly. It's all fun until you break.