Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JJhamitlon

Boost Is Coming!

297 posts in this topic

Coming home today!! I'm so excited, unfortunately I'm at work right now and won't get to even see it until tonight, but it's nice to know she will be in the driveway!! From all I've heard it's going to be perfect! Now to start saving and thinking about that shortblock! 

I had to pass up a damn good deal on a used HC short block, just came up at the wrong time, par for the course. Been reading and listening...looking at doing a standard forged 392 instead of the big 426..though the chest poked out 426 sure is alluring! Honestly the pros and cons of each is somewhat difficult to wade through, especially for someone like me who isn't going to be looking for competing in a field of fast cars.

**But here we go again with the back and forth decision...it's never ending! ( I love it! ) 

***I do have plans to make it to ChallengerFest, I want to thank some of you in person for your help, and I'd love to see everyone's cars, putting face with name! Greg I'll be reaching out to you for help with how to get setup for the event, thank you all!

How's it drive;

So finally got a chance to spend some time with the car and see how it runs. Got up early this morning to run some errands before it got late. Knowing I'd be in a hurry I almost decided not to take it, but I'm glad I did! 

So starting with idle, with the new frost of the seasonal change, got to defrost the windows before hitting the road. Steady RPMs with a little searching of AFRs but typical stuff until warm and we stick around 14.3-14.7..same with putting down the road. 

After a few miles to let the tires warm up and myself, I started driving like I had a purpose and intended to get some things done. Power comes on like one would expect with a PD blower, too much throttle results in smoke and smiles....along with a vehicle that's seems to want to steer from the rear! But keeping your senses the tires hook and off you go, making your appearance in the front of the would be pack! 

The power is smooth and more linear than I would have expected, tune is spot on....unless your in the throttle no one including yourself would be even know there's over 500 hp pouring out the tires. Modern technology has sneaked up on me, 10 years ago I would have never thought you could have this kind of power lurking under the hood, get 20+ mpg and sound stock. The only sounds that give any hint is a whistle coming from the LMI CAI pulling air into the 2650 like a black hole in space. 

Im more than impressed with A2 Speed, the way they pushed through the untraveled road of installing a new blower on a platform that's pushed aside by the car media outlets to focus on the big boys of the Mopar lineup. I'm impressed with the Edelbrock 2650, getting a little taste of what this blower can do only pushes me to start working on a serious short block so the real potential can be released. Thanks again A2, Edelbrock, Grandpa Greg, Speedy and all of you that gave me the advice and directions, I really appreciate it and will of course be looking for more wisdom as the build continues.  Hope to see you all at ChallengerFest!

Yahooo, glad you are a happy camper.  Can't wait to see you at CF9. lolB). when its done and done right there is such an Adrenalin boost is like well like CENSORED.

hope it continues to be all it could be .

OH next step is forged or hellcat short block and 12 LBS of boost. Just sayin. GG

Nice build A2S/Eric.

18 hours ago, CruzKing said:

Yahooo, glad you are a happy camper.  Can't wait to see you at CF9. lolB). when its done and done right there is such an Adrenalin boost is like well like CENSORED.

hope it continues to be all it could be .

OH next step is forged or hellcat short block and 12 LBS of boost. Just sayin. GG

Nice build A2S/Eric.

That's the plan, new shortblock and turn it up...which hopefully I'll have the tranny & rear done before it's time for then SB...best laid plans never work but hey i can try!

Well..I'm down again! Not sure exactly what's going on. Was changing some of the quick adjustments on the Trinity, rear gear selection, tire size and tranny shift firmness...did a burn out for a fan and parked the car...get in this afternoon drive down the street and above 40mph I have a hell of a vibration coming from the rear of the car. 

Got vibration coming from the rear, check engine light and speedometer doesn't work....well damn! ***Any ideas??

9 hours ago, Renfrick1 said:

Junk it
Buy a hellcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks bro, very supportive. Feels good getting kicked while I'm down!

Well I’m no expert but it’s either the rear end or drive shaft or axles.

Why were you changing the gear in the trinity??
Did you change your rear gear before you did your burn out ??

10 hours ago, JJhamitlon said:

Well..I'm down again! Not sure exactly what's going on. Was changing some of the quick adjustments on the Trinity, rear gear selection, tire size and tranny shift firmness...did a burn out for a fan and parked the car...get in this afternoon drive down the street and above 40mph I have a hell of a vibration coming from the rear of the car. 

Got vibration coming from the rear, check engine light and speedometer doesn't work....well damn! ***Any ideas??

Have you looked under the car to see if anything obvious is wrong?  The lack of speedometer makes me think wheel speed sensors.  If the vibration is directly associated with it perhaps the one or both CV joints at the wheels is/are torn up and wobbling, or the wheel bearings themselves are trashed (?), causing the wheel speed sensors having difficulty picking up the magnetic pulses from tone rings attached to the CV joint at the wheel.  Any way just these are just guesses...

Well early this morning I messed with it some, I re download the custom tune, that's solved the speedometer, check engine amen other "tune or electrical " issues I was experiencing it seems. But the vibration continues. So I think that's going to be a mechanical issue, I'm thinking possibly it's the drive shaft coupler...hopefully as this would be the cheapest repair of the possibilities! So this afternoon weather permitting, I'll jack it up and get under it to see what I'm dealing with. **That is unless Eric has the ability to come to my rescue he is trying to see if has a way to get my car back up to them to fix it...I can't say how much A2 has been there for me when it comes to this stuff...this is clearly something they had no control over but going out of their way in attempt to help me out, thanks Eric!

If it does turn out to be the coupler, what is the consensus with repair? Do I go back with stock replacement or is there an upgraded version? If I go to a one piece driveshaft aftermarket unit, what is the advised option? 

well i can tell you you are entering a area most come to.. what next.

i blew out the drive shaft.. i would reccomend the dss 1 pc alum.  that is what i did.

then i distroyed a getrag.. at the time i changed that out i put in new dss axles.. that will be on your list as well.

for short term if it is  that.. get a 1 pc driveshaft.. all that rubber bits in there doesn't last to long.

3 hours ago, us1champ said:

well i can tell you you are entering a area most come to.. what next.

i blew out the drive shaft.. i would reccomend the dss 1 pc alum.  that is what i did.

then i distroyed a getrag.. at the time i changed that out i put in new dss axles.. that will be on your list as well.

for short term if it is  that.. get a 1 pc driveshaft.. all that rubber bits in there doesn't last to long.

Yeah, got one coming now...I really didn't even think of the rubber like coupler until this happened...should have thought of it at the beginning and added it to the original build. We live and we learn..

***Im not going to let this get me down, I've enjoyed the car immensely and I'll enjoy it even more on its return..it breaks I'll fix it..to Hell with it, I like having something unique...everyone has a HC

i understand

trust me.. i had my engine out 3 times.. i did 75% of the motor work myself. i pulled and installed it.. along with all the pistons rods cam.. i went in after hrs and help the machine shop manager finalze the install of cam heads ect. he let me help in honing also.

i just clicked 15,000 miles on mine ( 09 ) and broke one rear end already.. i have never been to a drag strip..  so i feel our pain

1 minute ago, Renfrick1 said:

So have you figured it’s the driveshaft ? That’s why you ordered one
Or not sure yet.

Yeah drive shaft coupler ravished!

The rubber ones aren’t hard to replace

We actually did one in the parking lot at cf3
Took about an hour or so I think

2 hours ago, JJhamitlon said:

Yeah, got one coming now...I really didn't even think of the rubber like coupler until this happened...should have thought of it at the beginning and added it to the original build. We live and we learn..

***Im not going to let this get me down, I've enjoyed the car immensely and I'll enjoy it even more on its return..it breaks I'll fix it..to Hell with it, I like having something unique...everyone has a HC

That's the spirit.  That was the hardest decision for me selling OK to get the Hellcat, anyone can just buy a Hellcat, it takes spirit to build one.

1 hour ago, us1champ said:

i understand

trust me.. i had my engine out 3 times.. i did 75% of the motor work myself. i pulled and installed it.. along with all the pistons rods cam.. i went in after hrs and help the machine shop manager finalze the install of cam heads ect. he let me help in honing also.

i just clicked 15,000 miles on mine ( 09 ) and broke one rear end already.. i have never been to a drag strip..  so i feel our pain

Shoulda left the original message as it's pertinent.  I think a lot don't tell the full story, I always did, and do.  I don't know how my original dff lasted.  I was so sure it would explode at some point I bought a spare that sat in the attic 6 years.  The ONLY thing I can guess is my driving style saved it.  I always let the clutch out to the grab point at the track to pre-load the drive line and take all the slack and shock load out.  That and the slicks with their forgiving sidewalls likely kept me in tact.  The only thing I ever broke was a DSS half shaft axle.  They replaced it no question asked and upon analysis told me the cage was made of an improper material.

2 minutes ago, Renfrick1 said:

The rubber ones aren’t hard to replace

We actually did one in the parking lot at cf3
Took about an hour or so I think

Yeah and that was what I was going to do, but Eric at A2 had the ability to get the car. I didnt really want it to keep sitting at the shop night after night until th weather cleared enough to do it. And since he already picked up for me, might as well go ahead and solve the issue permanently