Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JJhamitlon

Boost Is Coming!

349 posts in this topic

Sweet, thanks!! So it's looking like I'm going Whipple!! Im going to take the plunge here asap, thank you all so much for the inconvenience and advice, I will of course be looking for more of it as my build continues!

***Can you guys tell me why Hemi C's Whipple doesn't have the blower snout?? Pro & con of setup like that and again why. Thanks!

****Edit**** Hemi C educated me in what was going on! Very cool stuff, thanks!!!

JJhamilton, I want to thank you for starting this thread.  I'm looking at the same decision.  It's good to know that I'm not the only one trying to decide these things.

13 hours ago, idoru99 said:

JJhamilton, I want to thank you for starting this thread.  I'm looking at the same decision.  It's good to know that I'm not the only one trying to decide these things.

It took me a while to make a decision back in 2010-11 and there was at least one less choice as Whipple hadn't released anything.  If I was sitting here today looking at the path of superchargers and ancillary stuff (gauges, axles, driveshaft, etc) I would be out shopping for a Hellcat.

First off......If you have HEMI-C under any hood with any power adder ; Its like having the mad Scientist thrashing to get every single inch of your displacement at its absolute best .

Kenne Bell.......You're very rarely going to hear anything positive from any vendor on KB . WHY ????  Kenne Bell sells direct .....very simple.....VENDORS can't mark-up the cost to the end user . This attitude pushed into the masses for the obvious lack of vendor support and rumor.

Customer service is sometimes slow BUT they always get back to you . Their phones are crazy busy !!

Performance......Absolutely the craziest torque line you'll see Thus the constant complaint about the light switch affect ......TRUST ME ...it can be tuned out so it can be pleasant to drive. When I made my choice to go KB the 6.1 was in the beginning stages of track performance and I was the crazy sob that went in a direction others thought was nuts . Was it a challenge ? YES . BUT the results were worth it......10.58 on a stock block 6.1 with 8-10lbs of boost out a LC 2.8 KB. At this point the car was very drivable with Brent @DTP tuning out the crazy light switch people bitched about .....in reality after I drove it prior to his tune you learn/feel it coming and just sift up a gear and you'd control it. THE 2.8 KB served me well and was great to 12-15 lbs of boost on my forged 6.1 . Once we got to push for all its got ; HEAT becomes a significant factor (21-22lbs ).

YES I'm the KB FANBOY lol

Finally The KB is BY FAR the prettiest blower on the market period ......It might be able to have eggs fried on it but it doesn't look like a waffle maker .

OK I FEEL BETTER NOW .

OH .....fwiw.....Whipple wasn't producing for our platform then........BUT they are still fugly  !

1 hour ago, Speedy said:

You forgot made with plumbing parts lol from the hardware store

No....that was BUDABOY ......But my submersible water pump in the cool can came from Wally World . Does that count ? Actually the guy that bought her just had to replace the pump lol

I'm still researching....watching vids, looking a pics & reading all I can!! Still in the same boat...KB just looks so freaking cool to me, but Maggie and Whipple have the best consistent Rep, so I'm still leaning Whipple...time is drawing closer to crunch time..shouldn't be much longer now...which I say that like I've "got" to do it immediately...truth is funds should be in order with the next couple months but I can linger on long as I want..just getting more and more excited and just want "it" done!! ***Im even still debating my header route, LT or Shorty as I'm doing headers with the blower at the same time, trying to squeeze a little more performance while I'm at it...but even that I can't come up with a consistent plan!! Damned stressful!!!

But again where I'm leaning is Whipple with longtube...

14 hours ago, mopar27028 said:

Well in the next couple of month the new 2650 Maggie should be coming out, could that be a possibility ?

I'm going to def keep my eyes and ears out for it when the time comes...if it's available and doesn't carry a "just because it's the new toy" price tag....I will see if it fits the bill and if so I'll dive on it.

Dual intake?? ***Oh I see now! Wouldn't that be a tuning nightmare??

From what I've read so far the kit should be pretty close to ready to go for the 5.7 & 6.4..if so I'll go ahead and say I'm on the band wagon for it

2.9 Whipple is good for over 1000hp at the crank, has a bigger bypass valve for more pt control and has a bigger intercooler.  I wouldn't go back.

Chris

Well I sent Magnuson an email asking if there was indeed a kit (2650 Vengence ) coming out for my year model and expected release. From what info I can find it would seem they are going to concentrate on HellCats and 2014+ before they do any reverse engineering for the older models..I may be SOL going this route unless I wait much longer than I want or willing! Unfortunate.....but let's see what the reply is I get from the source itself! Hopefully it'll be some real answers and not sales speak dancing around the truth...**If it is going to be available for my year model within a few months, I'll prob go this route....if not it's back to Whipple ( even though I have to come clean and admit I sent KB an email to asking some questions....) 

On ‎5‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 2:56 AM, JJhamitlon said:

Well I sent Magnuson an email asking if there was indeed a kit (2650 Vengence ) coming out for my year model and expected release. From what info I can find it would seem they are going to concentrate on HellCats and 2014+ before they do any reverse engineering for the older models..I may be SOL going this route unless I wait much longer than I want or willing! Unfortunate.....but let's see what the reply is I get from the source itself! Hopefully it'll be some real answers and not sales speak dancing around the truth...**If it is going to be available for my year model within a few months, I'll prob go this route....if not it's back to Whipple ( even though I have to come clean and admit I sent KB an email to asking some questions....) 

I sent the same email.  The response was "don't have a timeline on the 2650, you should sign up for our newsletter, that will keep you up to date on what's going on."

Well, I guess my emails aren't worth the bother to answer.....neither emailed me back at this point, 5 business days since thy were sent. Whipple it is....

10 hours ago, JJhamitlon said:

Well, I guess my emails aren't worth the bother to answer.....neither emailed me back at this point, 5 business days since thy were sent. Whipple it is....

That sucks.  The reply I got wasn't much of anything, but I had it within 24 hours.  Good luck with the Whipple.  I look forward to seeing how it turns out.  :)

Ok I'm back and going full steam, emailed Arrington to get turnkey quote and start working on scheduling my trip. Gotta get time off work for drop of and pick, but it's only a 2-1/2 drive from me so that's great.

Plans;

Whipple 2.9 with CAI, Long Tubes, high flow cats, AFR and boost gauges in A-pillar pod, and dyno tune. Unfortunately the new Maggie never showed up during all this time, probably show up right after I pick it up!

Thanks for all the help and advice from everyone, really appreciated you guys helping a noob learn. 

Thanks a lot Greg! And this being the first time doing any major mods with a Challenger and dealing with Arrington, if anyone has any heads up or advice about my upcoming experience please let me know.