Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ChuckECM

How To Cool A Kenne Bell

On my next mod I'm trying to lower my IAT's on my Kenne Bell challenger. I was thinking of getting a Chiller Killer and a bullet Intercooler to go on the "Mammoth Tube". Would that restrict the air too much?

If it would I was thinking the same Chiller going in to cool the KB intake manifold intercooler and hooking the LC ports on the SC to the regular cooling system.

I think option a would work the best at cooling if the barrel IC wouldn't restrict the air.

Anyone do this? or have any ideas? 

C.

That's the prob with KB  its a big heat pump and requires more $$$ to make it efficient.    As John mentioned a little N2o helps .  Ive installed a Afco heat exchanger from a gt500 with the fan options...   

I just integrated a killer chiller kit into my set up.  http://www.lxforums.com/board/superchargers/390522-direction-mix-drag-pak-hellcat-2.html#post4976319

I have an advantage with a decent size intercooler integrated into the drag pak whipple but I can say without a doubt the killer chiller is the real deal.

Here is my experience so far which I posted in different thread on MMF.

IATs are very reasonable so far.  With that said, I have a huge advantage with the drag pack manifold/intercooler package which is easily double the size of the standard whipple intercooler.  IATs are typically at +20 degrees above ambient, unless its stop and go heat soak will bring them to 85-90deg and level off.  With the Killer Chiller set up I integrated, cooling the intercooler coolant with the A/C system, I actually see my IATs drop slowly as I got WOT. Example, while cruising and then doing a 3rd gear WOT run from 2500rpm to the 6500 shift point IATs went from 85 deg at start to 81 at shift point in 65 deg ambient air.  This set up is the real deal brothers.

Also worth saying.... Water / Meth injection does wonders.

Chris

Thanks for the responses. I've got a call into C&R racing to see if the barrel idea would work (won't restrict) I'm only running 8-9 lbs of boost. I'm really interested in the FI Interchiller unit. You can turn it all to the intercooler or off. Also it's a larger unit than the chiller killer. I might look into the methanol injection, but I'd just want it for cooling. I've got an rt with ported and polished heads, 6.4 cam, longtime headers. I don't want to push it too far, but wow does it go when its cool out. Tuned by Tim Barth. 

So either methanol or FI Interchiller and c&r intercooler. hook up the interchiller to the KB top end and the c&r and keep the LC on the SC to the regular engine cooling system.

Hey 1FST4DR, did the afco heat exchanger and fans work?

Unless something has changed recently . . . it is not recommended to run methanol through a Kenne Bell.  It has been said that it could damage the rotors.

Unless something has changed recently . . . it is not recommended to run methanol through a Kenne Bell.  It has been said that it could damage the rotors.

Every blower manufacture out there has been saying the same thing for many years, people continue to keep doing it. I personally haven't seen a blower with rotor damage proven to be from spraying water/meth.

Every blower manufacture out there has been saying the same thing for many years, people continue to keep doing it. I personally haven't seen a blower with rotor damage proven to be from spraying water/meth.

Interesting . . . Thanks for adding that.

I would like to hear some more opinions on this.  

I would like to add meth (not tuned for it) simply for the IAT's [u[and[/u] to use it to rinse/clean all the oil that comes in from the PCV system off of the rotors, housing, intake manifold intercooler fins, etc.  Your thoughts please?

Does the KB 2.8 run abnormally high IATs even with lower boost 8-10 or is more an issue as psi reaches higher digits 10+?? I'm always reading a lot of heat issue with this blower and how much better the Whipple does with IATs but from the info I have read the KB units performs, as in top dog, at the track, with the Whipple producing great dyno numbers but not ETs....even the "little" Maggie has better ETs until you get into really high HP or Psi then the KB seems to be top dog again above the Whipple. I've actually seen several KB units in person and have seen the "parts" with the kits, and they do leave a little to be desired considering...but one can't deny the numbers. It would seem the Maggie and KB just do better ETs.....

Dare I say even the Ford and Chevy guys show better ETs with the KB, though I know Ford chose the Whipple for the Super Snake ( which does mean something I guess ) yet even they are swapped for a KB by the hardcore.

**So what gives here, are the IATs so bad that it's a serious issue, is it just less than desirable? I know enough to understand you want the lowest IATs as possible, it it doesn't seem to be hurting the KB at the track. I know IATs are going to increase dramatically with more psi and also motor restrictions...air pump, air in, air out as effectively as possible...

I just want to know as a person that's going to be restricted in psi by stock pistons. Is it really that big a deal KBs run a bit higher IATs?? Whats the deal with the LC option for the KB..it looks as it's just an option designed to increase seal life of the unit, not to cool IATs...the LC still has higher IATs than both Whipple and Maggie.

***Am I wrong here? Can you guys guide my folly if so!!? Please dont take it I'm bashing the Whipple or touting the KB, I don't know enough to do either, I'm just trying to learn and understand for my own choices...I got one shot at this choice and I don't want to look back and regret my decisions due to my ignorance. I've been reading everything I can find about all of these blowers regardless what platform and the same topics follow them everywhere, mopar, chevy and ford....KB very high IATs, bad customer service, great ETs and power, Whipple low IATs, excellent fit and finish even smaller parts of the kit, high dyno numbers lower ETs, Maggie exellent fit and finish, decent dyno numbers, impressive ETs with low boost and easy tuning.

Interesting . . . Thanks for adding that.

I would like to hear some more opinions on this.

I would like to add meth (not tuned for it) simply for the IAT's [u[and[/u] to use it to rinse/clean all the oil that comes in from the PCV system off of the rotors, housing, intake manifold intercooler fins, etc. Your thoughts please?

When I ask magnuson if the meth would wreck the blower they some had success and others haven't. No problems mine so far but I dont run a ton through it, maybe 2 to 3 gallons. I would tune for it other wise its to fat and killing power. You can.always put safety measures on, I'm run snows safe injection which will dump the boost if it fails to inject

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk