Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Chief 6.4

Talk me out of a 440

I'm putting an Aluminum 440, with ported 6.4 Heads in my 68 Coronet. With the iron block, your stroke will limit you to staying NA but It would be a great combination. I have a customer with a 6.1 based 426 in a 68 Charger, 727 and 3.91 8 3/4 rear. Great combination. Only thing I would change is adding a gear vendors OD but that's personal preference. I don't think you will need the T400, a 727 will do fine at the power levels you are going to be pushing. I'm using the 8HP90 from the Hellcat in mine.

8 minutes ago, Jerseyboy said:

I'm putting an Aluminum 440, with ported 6.4 Heads in my 68 Coronet. With the iron block, your stroke will limit you to staying NA but It would be a great combination. I have a customer with a 6.1 based 426 in a 68 Charger, 727 and 3.91 8 3/4 rear. Great combination. Only thing I would change is adding a gear vendors OD but that's personal preference. I don't think you will need the T400, a 727 will do fine at the power levels you are going to be pushing. I'm using the 8HP90 from the Hellcat in mine.

How much power difference is in the 426 vs. 440?  Also what is the rev limit with a 440?   Both of the cars you speak of sound awesome!

37 minutes ago, Jerseyboy said:

What does it take to run a new Hemi in an old Mopar? I need to do some research, stand alone controller?

6 hours ago, Goehner said:

What does it take to run a new Hemi in an old Mopar? I need to do some research, stand alone controller?

Money, lots and lots of money.......Same as a new Challenger

27 minutes ago, BayouTiger said:

Money, lots and lots of money.......Same as a new Challenger

No way man, that would be nuts to do the conversion then. 

Mopar has a plug and play efi/ ignition system for $ 1,700.  

There's a lot more too...new oil pan and pickup, motor mounts, headers, fuel system... lots of people have done it with every variation you can think of...im working on a 66 charger with a 6.4 and 727 combination. ..

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Goehner said:

No way man, that would be nuts to do the conversion then. 

I was speaking of the whole hobby old or new it's a pricey hobby! 

Im using a EFISource Gold Box MS3 on mine. Main reason I went this way is laptop programmable as you drive and I can change ANYTHING tuning wise to my liking no matter what changes I make with cam,boost, nitrous etc.

As I proceed with this build in my head, I became aware I till need a rear sump oil pan and pickup.  I have an SRT Jeep pan and pickup, how good are they or should I be looking for an aftermarket rear sump?      With the Gerst K Frame a rear sump will work best in my application.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, Chief 6.4 said:

How much power difference is in the 426 vs. 440?  Also what is the rev limit with a 440?   Both of the cars you speak of sound awesome!

Power wise is similar but the 426 will need more RPM to make the same power. If limited to pump gas, the 440 will get the edge with the extra displacement. I've run 440s up to 7krpm intermittently but I wouldn't recommend it for long term durability. That's a long arm on an Iron block motor. My engine is an aluminum block so I can run the same stroke as the 426 and push the bore bigger to get the displacement I wanted.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, Goehner said:

In Short, Swap mounts, Swap Headers (some installations can use stock manifolds depending on application), PCM of your choice (Production or aftermarket standalone can be used. I'm going to use a 2015 GPEC2A), Swap Harness, EFI Pump and lines, custom CAI, Throttle Pedal (if going DBW). Lots of options for transmissions just depends on what you want to do. The Hemi has the same bellhousing pattern as the old LA Small Block so you can use a Small Block 727, A518 OD, A580 (with either production or standalone controllers), 545rfe, 8HP (still in progress). You can even use GM transmissions with an Adapter, 4L60, 4L80, T400 ETC. Obviously several manual options exist too from A833, T56, TR6060, etc. It all depends on how you want to build it.

On ‎4‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 4:46 PM, Chief 6.4 said:

Mopar has a plug and play efi/ ignition system for $ 1,700.  

Mopar did release a harness and controller kit (which includes the throttle pedal) for their Crate Engines (5.7 and 6.4L MTX) at SEMA. They also sell the 45deg oil filter adapter, throttle pedal, FEAD kit, Rear Sump pan kit, AC Expansion kit, power steering kit and Jeep SRT exhaust manifold Kit (tightest fitting, highest flowing exhaust manifolds from the factory). They are currently supporting the Manual trans crate engines but working on Auto trans kits from what I hear.