Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Chief 6.4

Are hellcat pistons 2618 material?

This question came up on Facebook recently.  What type of forged pistons are in a Hellcat?   I know the rods are " powder forged"  but what about the pistons?  Would they be good for a power adder build?

Thanks.  Has anyone heard of a Hellcat PISTON failure?  I know that rods have let go but what about pistons?

Mahle makes a great replacement piston to bump stock CR to 10.5 and Carrilo makes a high quality rod that can take a beating.

Next up is cranks, haven't found a good price on one. If you want a bulletproof one call up Winberg cranks in Denver. Pricy but worth it.

Probably a $6k rotating assembly but well worth the security of knowing you won't put a window in your block. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35 minutes ago, ericc2456 said:

Mahle makes a great replacement piston to bump stock CR to 10.5 and Carrilo makes a high quality rod that can take a beating.

Next up is cranks, haven't found a good price on one. If you want a bulletproof one call up Winberg cranks in Denver. Pricy but worth it.

Probably a $6k rotating assembly but well worth the security of knowing you won't put a window in your block. :)

By chance do you have a link or part number for the Mahle piston?   I have searched but can't find anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a stock hellcat shortblock for my race car, the only thing I changed was th rod bolts. I put arps in them. The motor will make 1000-1200hp and I have no doubt the bottom end will hold together. 

4 minutes ago, no1special said:

I have a stock hellcat shortblock for my race car, the only thing I changed was th rod bolts. I put arps in them. The motor will make 1000-1200hp and I have no doubt the bottom end will hold together. 

Does that include stock main bolts and caps?  

19 minutes ago, Chief 6.4 said:

Does that include stock main bolts and caps?  

Yessir, it sure does. The hellcat blocks have reinforced main webbing area and cuts down on the need for billet caps. I have no doubts the stock main bolts will hold just fine :)

Just now, no1special said:

Yessir, it sure does. The hellcat blocks have reinforced main webbing area and cuts down on the need for billet caps. I have no doubts the stock main bolts will hold just fine :)

Good deal.  I happen to have a new Hellcat block, and new Hellcat pistons and rings.  I am thinking use them with some molnar rods and crank and have a 377 short block ready for boost.

6 minutes ago, Modern Muscle said:

not as a drop in you would need the whole rotating assembly re balanced

Yep that's not a problem.  You have anything that would work?  Are the pistons worth using?

You can bet....there was a shit ton of research done on the hellcat piston. I would trust them as my as I trust my diamond billet pistons. I did however put arp rod bolts in my new hellcat shortblock

Carrillo will make you any set you want, if saving $350 on balancing is that big of a deal to you, they will definintly make you a set that will drop in with no balancing