Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Speedy

Hellcat Data log (finally)

So after much gnashing of teeth fighting with the Trinity, I finally had a dashboard that looked to work with the Hellcat.  I've always been curious how the factory had these things setup and my data logs showed some very surprising stuff.  I had to update to a latest crom on the Trinity for it to recognize the car and in true Diablo fashion, it's buggy as hell.  Lots of locks ups trying to build the dash board, removing the SD card seemed to lessen the lock ups by about 50%, but still a major PITA.  What should have taken 15 minutes took 2 hours, but I digress.

It has PIDs available for the factory wide band sensors, but they don't work.  Desired FA doesn't work on the Trinity, but did give me correct values when I reviewed the data log.  Looks like the factory AFR at WOT is programmed to 12.1 - 12.2 according to Desired FA Cyl 1 pid.  The WBO2 pid gives me a nice graph in Dataviewer software but the reading is stuck at 7.9, an obvious software issue.

The big surprise for me was he factory timing at WOT on a supposed 91 octane tune.  Looks like the timing is set to 18° at least up to a bit over 100MPH.  I backed out of it after that.  In 90° ambient air I was making 10.5lbs of boost, car is shifting at about 6,000 RPM.  I'm seeing more STKR than I'd like.  I'm gonna do some further testing to see how it looks on a full pull in 3rd or 4th (depending on top speed in those gears) and then splash in some race gas to see what the STKR does.

Interesting to say the least.

Speedy, here is the "WOT spark" table and the "Hot air" and "Hot ECT" spark modifiers for reference. You will need to datalog the PID "Aircharge" to see where you are in the tables. 

hellcat timing.png

Here's a screen shot of a stock Hellcat pull for reference so you can see where the aircharge is. As you already discovered there is quite a bit of KR with the stock tune.

Stock Hellcat WOT hit.png

Mike, that's awesome info.  Just saved a copy of that table for future reference.  I'll add the "Air Charge" PID to my dashboard.

When you guys are using the Trinity to build a dashboard, are you guys having he lock up problems that I'm experiencing?  Mine locked up about 25 times while trying to build the dashboard.  Got so bad I'd add a page, 4 PIDs, and save it just so I wouldn't lose the changes.

Yes, we have seen this on many Trinity's. You already discovered my rule of thumb when adding PID's - add a page, 4 PIDs, and save it 

Thanks for confirming it's not my Trinity lol

In the modifiers, I wonder what is considered "hot" as noted in the screen shot above?

Awesome thank you!  Looks like the software packages don't agree on what the actual value is?  Diablo shows the Hot spark modifier at 118° ECT and HPT has that same value at 244°?

Ran a couple good data logs just now and am starting to review.  I ran a full 3rd gear pull with a shift in to 4th in 500HP mode and 700HP mode with fresh Shell 93.  I'll see how this looks then throw in some race fuel and retest.

8 hours ago, Speedy said:

Awesome thank you!  Looks like the software packages don't agree on what the actual value is?  Diablo shows the Hot spark modifier at 118° ECT and HPT has that same value at 244°?

Ran a couple good data logs just now and am starting to review.  I ran a full 3rd gear pull with a shift in to 4th in 500HP mode and 700HP mode with fresh Shell 93.  I'll see how this looks then throw in some race fuel and retest.

Diablo is in Celcius and HPTuners is in Farenheit.

P.S> We have the Hellcat A8 trans tuning dialed in. We were at the track today and verified (what we have tested on the dyno and at CF7) that our new Excel TCM spreadsheet shift point calculator is working spot. Just let me know when you're ready to get serious :)  

C vs. F got it.

Good deal on the trans tuning!  My plan is to play with this in stages so I can understand what really works.  First step is getting to know her ;)

Ok, still doing some testing, did quite a bit last weekend and have a bit more and I think I'll have some good data to work with.

Reviewing the stuff Mike provided above, it doesn't appear any spark modifiers come in to play until a IAT of 212° F and or ECT temp of 244° F.  That's WAY up there based on what I'm seeing with my car.  My ECT never gets above about 205°F even when doing pulls in 90° heat and humidity, and the intake temps (IAT) are in the 140° range.  Now I'm not on a road course pounding on it lap after lap, but I did several WOT pulls and that's what I'm seeing.

Makes me wonder what good if any a 180° t-stat will do for this car.  It seems Dodge tuned this thing pretty stout and doesn't start to pull until it's pretty dang hot.  I am seeing some knock sensor readings like Mike shows above, which makes me wonder if they have the sensors tuned pretty sensitive and rely on those to keep the engine happy.