Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BigSloth

Max DD power level for 8HP70?

Hey guys. I have a 14 ram 1500 crew cab with the 8HP70. Right now she does great at full bolt on with a 175 shot, still daily driven and pulls a boat from time to time. 

However, I am building a forged 5.7 based 392, which will be built lower compression for power adders. 

I'd love to get as much power from it as possible once it's done, but I don't want to roast the trans in short order. Nobody seems to build a truck fitment A8 yet, only for jeeps and cars. So prolonged life of the factory unit is a priority. 

I'm sure some of you guys are pushing the car A8s pretty hard, what is the level at which they're having problems? 

Thanks in advance. 

Have you spoken to the companies that are building the jeep & car A8s about building your tranny? I would be surprised if they said they wouldn't or couldn't , there can't be too many differences. 

I have, and it's possible to have it built for sure but the tail housing is different so they would need my trans to build and that's not possible. 

Besides, I'd like to not spend 6k for a trans right after I spend who knows what on the stroker if I can get away with it. 

I can relate to that...though I have no idea about the A8 I know Ive seen quite a few of the previous A5 running 500 rwhp/500 rwtq with no problems...I'd assume the A8 would be able to do that and possibly more..it is used in the HC but I don't know what they may have changed from the standard A8 to the unit in the HC ( if anything ). I would seriously be surprised if your stroker caused your tranny any problems. But I wouldn't expect it to live behind a stroker/blower/high boost life..