Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sybil

Buy a Hellcat or not?

27 posts in this topic

Can't decide if it's worth trading in my 2009 Challenger SRT8 in on a Hellcat? I can get about $23,000 or so for mine on trade which leaves me about $40,000 in the hole again. Can I get close to the performance of the Hellcat with $20,000 in mods in mine? Or I can change the tailights , hood and throw a Hellcat sticker on mine and most won't know anyway lol.

Leave it alone. And either get a cat or keep it and leave it be. I have 25.000 in my 09 and it has been nothing but a huge pain in the a$$ since I decided to go down the road. If you can afford the car do it. Drive the hell out of it and have fun. Mine is not fun. I have the heads off again for the 3rd time oh this go around on the rebuild has just shy of 450 miles on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're enamored of a H/C, then by all means go that way. All the mods in the world wont make it a H/C. You can make it smoke a H/C for 20K but it's not going to be close to the overall package. OTOH, you'd be just another Hellcat. The blood, sweat, and tears (and dollars) is what makes it interesting, but no it's not fun a lot of the time. 

58 minutes ago, BayouTiger said:

If you're enamored of a H/C, then by all means go that way. All the mods in the world wont make it a H/C. You can make it smoke a H/C for 20K but it's not going to be close to the overall package. OTOH, you'd be just another Hellcat. The blood, sweat, and tears (and dollars) is what makes it interesting, but no it's not fun a lot of the time. 

I would pay to have it done. 6.1 not a good engine to mod? Tranny and rearend need attention? Other than power what do you mean it's not going to be close?

Forged engine, built trans/differential/drive shaft/axles, fuel system= $$$, Hell Cat would be cheaper and less head ache in the long run. 

8 minutes ago, ChargerRob said:

Forged engine, built trans/differential/drive shaft/axles, fuel system= $$$, Hell Cat would be cheaper and less head ache in the long run. 

Thanks I'm convinced.

I chose to modify my Scat, have less invested than a Hellcat and consistenly beat stock tune hellcats and always out trap them... IF I had known the Hellcat would be a 9 sec car with 'minimal' upgrades i would have went that route.  IF I could sell my car and not lose my ass i would do it and own a hellcat.

10 minutes ago, mopar27028 said:

I chose to modify my Scat, have less invested than a Hellcat and consistenly beat stock tune hellcats and always out trap them... IF I had known the Hellcat would be a 9 sec car with 'minimal' upgrades i would have went that route.  IF I could sell my car and not lose my ass i would do it and own a hellcat.

There is not a doubt the Hellcat is the fucking deal of the century. I would trade mine in but I am so deep into it, I just refuse to sell it. That fucking thing will go with me to the grave.

2 hours ago, mopar27028 said:

If you are faster and have less invested why would you? I like the power but I like my gauge set up better. They all have that pod looking set up , like my Dart lol. They are losing the muscle car look... I figured I could throw a Procharger on there and be somewhat happy...

I laid my build out expecting to be content with 675whp and a 10sec street car, but I didn't realize how true the saying Boost is Addicting was.  I've made about 60 passes at my local 1/8 mile tracks this year and I want more!   To get where I want with my car I need to at a minimum upgrade the fuel system, transmission, converter and replace the Maggie because I can't spin her any faster and maybe add a small shot... all of which adds penny on the dollar for resale value, or I can buy a Hellcat and spend 5-7k on upgrades, have a 9sec car that still holds it resale value.

20 minutes ago, mopar27028 said:

I laid my build out expecting to be content with 675whp and a 10sec street car, but I didn't realize how true the saying Boost is Addicting was.  I've made about 60 passes at my local 1/8 mile tracks this year and I want more!   To get where I want with my car I need to at a minimum upgrade the fuel system, transmission, converter and replace the Maggie because I can't spin her any faster and maybe add a small shot... all of which adds penny on the dollar for resale value, or I can buy a Hellcat and spend 5-7k on upgrades, have a 9sec car that still holds it resale value.

Resale value is tanking on Hellcats.

Put a pro charger on your car and go have fun
Hellcats are cool but it's just another car. You'll lose just as much money on it. Like you said used hc prices are tanking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hellcat.  

The market was glutton with 2016s for a while, and then the lease deals got going from Dodge, and these issues started to impact resale.  Those deals are evaporating.  If you want one I'd get it now and try to find a 2016.  I doubt you'll see the deals like this ever again as they figure out the supply and demand.

I loved o'l Orange Krush, but the Hellcat is a fantastic package.

3 hours ago, Speedy said:

Hellcat.  

The market was glutton with 2016s for a while, and then the lease deals got going from Dodge, and these issues started to impact resale.  Those deals are evaporating.  If you want one I'd get it now and try to find a 2016.  I doubt you'll see the deals like this ever again as they figure out the supply and demand.

I loved o'l Orange Krush, but the Hellcat is a fantastic package.

Pics of yours?

There is a Go Mango with black stripes that is gorgeous about 25 miles from me but the downside is my old man says if I want it the Viper has to go.:(

I too went the "build the mofo" way and it takes a hell of a lot of money to get to sub 10.5 even more for sub 10.0 ......not to mention the constant breaking of shit . I loved my 08 BUT once you get to that 'got to go faster " it became an absolute nightmare . Leaving the events pissed off with something else broken took the wind out of the sails. All in the name of FASTEST. Between the upgrades from 09 until I sold it .(gave it away ) I had 50k +/- in the car in upgrades PLUS what I paid for it .

I now own a Hellcat........absolutely the best decision I ever made with a performance vehicle . LOVE EVERYTHING about it..... even after an engine replacement (Long Block for FREE ) Warranty ON A MID-10 second street car . For around $4500.00 (Driveshaft , 3:09 gear , upper pulley change , Hemituner computer , Tune by Brent at DTP , Drag radials ) !0.33 1/4 mile 716 rwhp

No brainer ......HELLCAT !!!!!!

4 hours ago, Speedy said:

Ive never been a Viper fan so easy decision for me.

lol They are for getting attention. I love mine! But it's f'ing slow compared to what's out there. I'm not a racer but 468 rwhp just doesn't seem like much these days....

3 hours ago, Jack SickSRT said:

I too went the "build the mofo" way and it takes a hell of a lot of money to get to sub 10.5 even more for sub 10.0 ......not to mention the constant breaking of shit . I loved my 08 BUT once you get to that 'got to go faster " it became an absolute nightmare . Leaving the events pissed off with something else broken took the wind out of the sails. All in the name of FASTEST. Between the upgrades from 09 until I sold it .(gave it away ) I had 50k +/- in the car in upgrades PLUS what I paid for it .

I now own a Hellcat........absolutely the best decision I ever made with a performance vehicle . LOVE EVERYTHING about it..... even after an engine replacement (Long Block for FREE ) Warranty ON A MID-10 second street car . For around $4500.00 (Driveshaft , 3:09 gear , upper pulley change , Hemituner computer , Tune by Brent at DTP , Drag radials ) !0.33 1/4 mile 716 rwhp

No brainer ......HELLCAT !!!!!!

Need some pics! Did you trade yours in or sell privately?

2 hours ago, Sybil said:

lol They are for getting attention. I love mine! But it's f'ing slow compared to what's out there. I'm not a racer but 468 rwhp just doesn't seem like much these days....

Uhhh yeah they're slow.  My 2SS Camaro has 455 and weighs 3700 lbs full of fuel.  Guy here at work has one he bought recently and people who ride in it just kinda shrug.  I take them out in the HC and they're like HOLY ****

14 hours ago, Speedy said:

Uhhh yeah they're slow.  My 2SS Camaro has 455 and weighs 3700 lbs full of fuel.  Guy here at work has one he bought recently and people who ride in it just kinda shrug.  I take them out in the HC and they're like HOLY ****

They need turbos or  a sc to get out of it's own way lol. But it worth more now than I paid for it. The Hellcat I want will probably be gone by the time I could sell these cars and they will murder me on a trade. But the prices on the Hellcats are still dropping so we'll see...or not.

11 hours ago, Sybil said:

They need turbos or  a sc to get out of it's own way lol. But it worth more now than I paid for it. The Hellcat I want will probably be gone by the time I could sell these cars and they will murder me on a trade. But the prices on the Hellcats are still dropping so we'll see...or not.

If you can get more than you paid sell it now. Gen 3/4 right?

3 hours ago, bhayes335 said:

If you can get more than you paid sell it now. Gen 3/4 right?

No, gen 2 96 GTS. Gen 3,4 are ugly corvette look a likes lol

10 hours ago, Sybil said:

No, gen 2 96 GTS. Gen 3,4 are ugly corvette look a likes lol

ah, don't know why I though you had one of the 3 or 4s....which are agreed ugly.  Gen 2 would make it a bit harder were it me.  I was looking at jumping ship to the Gen 5 until I finally sat in one this year, love what they did with the car but I'm just too tall.  Unfortunately amputation is a deal breaker