Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Speedy

Hellcat oil change and brake pad swap (low dust)

First vids on the Hellcat. Going with simple stuff first like the break-in oil change and getting rid of those dusty OEM brake pads up front. 

I tested the car with the OEM pads and did three 60 - 0 stops and used the car's timer to check distances, then double checked with a roller tape and it was dead nuts accurate.

Don't get too hung up on the distances, the location I chose was a bit down hill, however I did use the EXACT same location for both OEM and Z26 pads and the difference was negligible.

I went back today after putting about 1000 miles on the Z26 pads. Results got even better with three panic stops from 60 measuring:

First - 120 feet
Second - 114 feet
Third - 120 feet

Temps were in the low 90s with high humidity to boot.

First half of video is how to do an oil change including the oil cooler. Skip to 11 minutes to get to the brake swap and tests.

[IMG]

[IMG]

Good video Jay. So.... another chapter begins at "Speedy's Garage."

Any hints as to what your next mod will be?

Pulleys n Tune?

Stevo

Just gonna run it a bit with good tires and see what she'll do SteveO.  I've been data logging it and honestly the factory tune is pretty hot.  I was very surprised.

There's a few things you can do with these, but it already has "most" stuff included.  

Supercharger - check

Gauges including AFR - check

Shift light -check

Beefed up trans - check

Big brakes - check

Hot tune - check

About all it really needs is a beefed up drive shaft and some good tires.  After I've maxed it out as is I'm sure I'll start to play with it a bit.  Goal is 10.70 - 10.80 as it sits and we'll go from there.

There have been some random issues with them though, crank pulley coming off and destroying the engine, happened to Alb440 on this forum as a matter of fact.  Supercharger bearing failures are occurring with a much higher frequency than one would expect, and I've heard a couple reports of engine failures likely due to an assembly problem.  I wanna get  a few miles on her before I go too crazy and let Dodge out of an expensive repair should one of these problems occur.  I did the same on the R/T back when.  

Good work, Speedy! I love how detailed and organized your videos (and shop) is. A man after my own heart.

The factory tune is definitely really aggressive. That being said, we've squeezed an extra 60whp out of bone stock (sans PCM and Trinity) Hellcats. Seeing as you could just swap your factory PCM back into the car and head to the dealer should any issues arise with the car this may be something you'd like to have.

2 hours ago, Micah@OST said:

Good work, Speedy! I love how detailed and organized your videos (and shop) is. A man after my own heart.

The factory tune is definitely really aggressive. That being said, we've squeezed an extra 60whp out of bone stock (sans PCM and Trinity) Hellcats. Seeing as you could just swap your factory PCM back into the car and head to the dealer should any issues arise with the car this may be something you'd like to have.

With the newer 2015+ Dodges, does the PCM record the mileage? If it does how do you get away with mileage on EVIC display and that on the PCM?

On 6/19/2017 at 8:14 AM, Micah@OST said:

Unfortunately the aftermarket PCMs set a P1400 code.  Apparently this is stored in the BCM (body control module) and can't be erased, ever, that has been found so far.  This code does not set a CEL, but when scanned it pops with the following message "Aftermarket calibration detected, check warranty status".  If you know a verified way to avoid that I'm all ears!  Theory is it's somehow tied to the mileage and you can get the aftermarket PCM coded with proper mileage, but as soon as you pop the factory PCM back in it'll then set the code as well.

I don't care a whole lot about the warranty after the first year as usually if you're gonna have a manufacturer problem it'll show up by then.  After that I'll be doing a few small things.  

That is what I thought about the PCM. TKS for the info.  I am in the market for another toy and like you will most likely wait one year then start the mods. I waited until I had 8000 miles before I voided the new Daytona warranty. That seemed like forever.