Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scott

2016 Ram 1500 high speed vibration

I've noticed on here that there is a whole lot of topics on high speed vibrations for the Ram 1500. Anybody on here ever had to fix that in a 2016 model? Mine just developed a few days ago. I have an appointment for an alignment and a rebalancing tomorrow but I'm not convinced that will fix the problem. Any suggestions?

The best cure for vibrations on both of my Ram 1500's and my Titan was pulling the Goodyear Wranglers off and putting Cooper Discovery's on. 

Test drove a '17 Ram Laramie Longhorn with the 20" Goodyear SR-As.  At 55mph the Saleslady and I both heard a metallic strike sound coming from the back of the truck.  Smooth roads and no road debris prior to, during, or post noise.  Sounded like a small piece of metal hitting the underside of the truck.  One minute later the same exact noise.  Pulled over prior to getting on I-10 and inspected exterior and underneath.  I thought we might have lost a balance weight off the inside of one of the alloys and yet all the wheel weights appeared to be intact.  Got onto to the Interstate and while accelerating up to 70 we picked up a definite shake in the rear end.  We could both see it in the mirrors and feel it in the cockpit.  However, the steering wheel was smooth.  Got back on the Interstate after the Turnaround Exit and Entry and the truck did it again.  Rear end shake about 60-70mph.  Took it up to 80mph and it seemed smoother with less box shake in the mirrors.  Interesting.  We dropped the truck off at Service.  She called me this morning and told me that they could not find anything wrong so they rebalanced the tires and took it for a test drive.  Same problem BUT a little less shake.  She said they were going to do a 'Compression Test'.  Never heard of that one before...nothing on the Internet about it.  However, I do know that a First Impression is a Lasting Impression.  I will never buy that truck regardless of what the outcome is... I'm convinced something small and metallic came off the truck, bounced back into the bed, and then did it again.  Retention Nuts from Yoke Bolts on the Driveshaft as stated earlier and in the TSB?  Whatever, No Second Date with that Gal UNLESS the Service Department blows me away with some seriously honest feedback and repair work.  Good Luck solving your problem.  JP 

Just got a call from the Dealership.  Service took the Truck to a local Tire Shop with the Hunter Road Force Balance Machine and RFB'd all 4 20" Goodyears.  Problem solved.  Allegedly smooth as a baby's b$tt... I'll test drive it, again, tomorrow, after looking at the paperwork and underneath at the drive shaft/yoke assembly to check for any missing hardware.  The RFB does NOT explain what metal to metal sound we heard.  Of course that could have been anything.  However, the exact same sound one minute apart is, IMHO, more than a coincidence. More to follow... JP