Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Speedy

Detailing 101

A lot of folks ask how I keep the paint swirl and scratch free and a lot of it boils down to how you wash the vehicle.  NEVER run it through one of those auto wash machines that slap the car with brushes or strips.  Unless your ceramic coated, I'd not recommend touchless unless it's just a dire emergency as the soaps used can be so harsh they'll actually remove any standard wax you may have applied.  Once ceramic coated, it's no big deal though.

Two bucket wash method is key.

Foam gun makes it fast and easy.  Just got one and love it.  I'd rather be out driving than cleaning, so I take advantage of all shortcuts.

On 10/7/2017 at 10:09 PM, Goehner said:

Great video. I wish I had the attention to detail you have. My car is a disaster lol

lol for those instances, ceramic coating is probably the best option.  They paint correct, then apply so looks good and done.  Then you just run it through a touchless when you think about it and it's clean and scratch free.

I used to really get in to detailing, and "could" spend 9-10 hours on one car.  OCD ran rampant.  I'd work so hard I wouldn't wanna drive it and get it dirty and it drove me nuts so I had to back off a little and started using every short cut in the book these days so I can spend more time driving.

20 hours ago, us1champ said:

I tried the opti seal wasn’t impressed. Just used polish angel and I like this stuff a ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What product from Polish Angel?  I took a look and they have several.  Any WOWA stuff that you like?  Opti Seal definitely seals the car, next video will have that in it and I've already done it (will publish next Sat).  It sheets water great, however it doesn't have that super slick just waxed feeling about it.  Very easy to apply though.  Took me 15 mins to do the whole car.

I did there cosmic glass coat a little time consuming as it is a 2 part but it is easy to go and man it works nice hit with there spritz after

I totally understand about cleaning more than driving that’s where I’m at now trust me it’s painful lol

I just watched a video on the Polish Angel, I'm way past doing any of that anymore LOL.  If it's not a 15 - 30 minute application I'm out, I'll have it ceramic coated if it goes past that.

As long as the paint's protected I'm happy.  I did Mrs. Speedy's car with the Opti Seal and it's her daily so we'll see how long it lasts, but for a 15 minute time investment and $30 for the product if it lasts 6 mos I'm thrilled.  I just wish it was a little more "slick" feeling.  

See and I wanted to try a over the counter coating vs spending 7-800 for a pro coating. I will let ya know how it pans out.
I know the dust don’t stick to the angle polish for sure as by now I would be dusting it off

I'm going to look more in to the real OTC coatings that you don't polish/buff.  I think there are some that last 12 months and are kind of watered down versions of things like Opti Coat and Gtechnique Crystal Serum.

2 hours ago, Speedy said:
I'm going to look more in to the real OTC coatings that you don't polish/buff.  I think there are some that last 12 months and are kind of watered down versions of things like Opti Coat and Gtechnique Crystal Serum.

Speedy, just completed. 2400 round trip with 4 days of rain and shitty road construction. Car was filthy. Took all of 2 hours to clean. Remember I have few years on you.

I did not pull the wheels to clean the back side and wheel wells. Only do that a couple times a year. Same for clay bar, polish and wax.

cb472100bd0afb04e74f24e02cbc875b.jpg

Cool vid, good tips especially the glass cleaning/streaks thanks!

What do you guys think about the water less wash products, I'm kinda afraid of them causing scratches in the clear coat but many swear by them. I've been using a product I picked up at the last car show I was at called Slick paint, works pretty good after cleaning and drying just use a small amount and "polish" the car...looks good and last making next wash much quicker and easier. 

Is it just me or does it seem the Challenger rear bumper just pulls dirt,dust and grime to it. I swear I can detail the car perfect and even a few drives in beautiful weather and the rear bumper looks like a dust storm hit it! 

8 hours ago, JJhamitlon said:

Cool vid, good tips especially the glass cleaning/streaks thanks!

What do you guys think about the water less wash products, I'm kinda afraid of them causing scratches in the clear coat but many swear by them. I've been using a product I picked up at the last car show I was at called Slick paint, works pretty good after cleaning and drying just use a small amount and "polish" the car...looks good and last making next wash much quicker and easier. 

Is it just me or does it seem the Challenger rear bumper just pulls dirt,dust and grime to it. I swear I can detail the car perfect and even a few drives in beautiful weather and the rear bumper looks like a dust storm hit it! 

Waterless car wash is OK for a light dust or maybe road grim... anything else - not so much IMHO

Rear bumper of almost any car is a dust/dirt magnet due to the air flow over the car,

I use to use Mother's Quick Detail (free bottle on the 2015 Hot Rod Power Tour). But, now I use Turtle Wax Ice in the spray wax or Protect All and a microfiber cloth.

For glass cleaning... I use a clay bar to clean the road grime off about once a month, then Invisible Glass and a microfiber cloth to clean. 

Thanks for the tips Jay.  I know of a product you should consider for your tires:  Tufshine.  I've been using it for years and I love it.   

You have to really pay attention (and time) to the one-time-only cleaning prep, but after that, it's easy.

After the clearcoat is applied and dry, Tufshine is dry to the touch!  I tell everyone at the cruise-ins to "Go ahead and wipe your finger across my tires.  They're dry!"  No oily mess.  No oil slinging. 

To keep the shine up all I do is wash the tires with car wash, dry them, and apply another coat of their clearcoat.  I do that once every 6-12 months.  

I treat both the face and the backside of all my tires and that keeps the "browning" away.

www.Tufshine.com

Rick