Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Speedy

Impressed with the Hellcat

Minimal changes and this car netted some amazing times.  More to come, vids, etc, but here are the slips from this weekend.  LuvMyRT and I were DYING to get to the track.  The weather had ruined 4 out of 5 chances, and mother nature did it again and Beech Bend shut down their end of the season TNT due to weather again Saturday.  We hopped on the net and found the next closest 1/4 mile track and off we went to Alabama International Raceway.  3 hour drive, but when you gotta race.....

Track was much better than expected, although they could've had a snack bar or something......we were starving by the end of the day, but with a paltry 30 cars shown up we could make all the runs we wanted, and the track was good.  DA was good as well at around +100 - +200 which is great for our area.

Mods to the car are minimal.  DSS 4" Aluminum 1 piece drive shaft and a rear diff brace from Per4mance Engineering.  Race tire setup.  Race weight estimated at 4400#

Goal was a 10.7x to beat my best of 10.8x in Orange Krush, and Go Man Go killed it.  Three runs in the 10.50s one even off a hot lap.  The second one I think should have been a high 10.40, and need to review the data logs to figure out why based on the 60'.

Can't wait to see what I can do with the car after a bit of practice to figure out what it likes.  I'm confident I could launch it harder.

Go_Man_Go_AlabamaInternationalRaceway_11

I've been waiting for you to post some experiences with your new HC. Please keep the info and details coming! I take it your happy with the trade (up) to the HC from what I thought was a hell of a build, lucky dog the new owner. By the time you had OC up for sale I'd already committed into my build, if it hadn't been for that I would have seriously bought your OC, no BS. That was a perfect build. 

A few questions if I may,

Do you see 10:30s without "major" mods with the HC? Are the IATs better than OCs? Have you any experience to compare the A8 to the old A5? In any case, any cons you've noticed with the A8? Any cons in general with the HC compared to OC, or things you miss about the OC ( performance, drivability wise...I know there is some attachment woes I would assume ) ? Do you wish you had went strait to the HC instead of the build, if you could rewind time would you have just went strait to the HC or would the build still been your first venture?

Im trying to decide, continue with mine or just enjoy it as is and go for the HC next year, so your opinions and experiences are being used as a guide. Any info/opinions you share are appreciated!

Nice times! Speedy so that’s the stock tune on that car and pulley as well? What tires are you using? I ended up selling my 09 R/T in October and bought a 17 M6 Hellcat. But winters here’s and the cars away until April. Can’t wait to get it to the track. Thanks

Jay, i thought i had a good race against OC but now i'm trailing again.:huh:.

thought you were sleeping a little at the lights .:rolleyes:

nice times, when you getting that roll bar?

14 hours ago, JJhamitlon said:

I've been waiting for you to post some experiences with your new HC. Please keep the info and details coming! I take it your happy with the trade (up) to the HC from what I thought was a hell of a build, lucky dog the new owner. By the time you had OC up for sale I'd already committed into my build, if it hadn't been for that I would have seriously bought your OC, no BS. That was a perfect build. 

A few questions if I may,

Do you see 10:30s without "major" mods with the HC? Are the IATs better than OCs? Have you any experience to compare the A8 to the old A5? In any case, any cons you've noticed with the A8? Any cons in general with the HC compared to OC, or things you miss about the OC ( performance, drivability wise...I know there is some attachment woes I would assume ) ? Do you wish you had went strait to the HC instead of the build, if you could rewind time would you have just went strait to the HC or would the build still been your first venture?

Im trying to decide, continue with mine or just enjoy it as is and go for the HC next year, so your opinions and experiences are being used as a guide. Any info/opinions you share are appreciated!

I love the Hellcat honestly.  OC had "almost" the same horsepower, but the tech in the HC is MILES above what OC had.  I miss OC sometimes, and honestly wish I could've afforded to have both.  Woulda been nice to have OC as a 6 speed street brawler and the HC to take the track for some nice easy consistency, but I just couldn't swing it.  The new owner is certainly enjoying the car and gives me updates from time to time, so at least it went to a good home.  I'm hoping he'll come to CF9 and maybe let me sit in the driver seat for a minute LOL.

I think 10.20s or 10.30s are easily doable with just a tune based on what I see in the logs.  Maybe even faster with trans tuning.  IATs were cooler than Orange Krush by 40° or so in similar air.  I think the max in the logs was 127F.  I LOVE the A8.  Plenty of gears to chose from and lightening fast shifts.  I think it's much better than the A5.  Also seems pretty bullet proof.  No cons with the HC that I've found, only positives.

I'd definitely do the exact same thing I did all over again.  When I built OC, there was no dream of a 707HP supercharged Challenger from Dodge or SRT.  The most powerful American car at the time was the 550HP GT500.  Building that car gave me LOADS of experience with the platform, I was able to learn about all kinds of things like gauges that were needed, data logging, etc.  Not to mention without that decision there likely would not have been a CF as it exists today, and I've made some of the best friends of my life as a result of that car, and it led me to the Hellcat in the end.

Having said that, with HCs coming down in to the mid $50K range, I'd only do minimal mods to a car and get a HC.  They're just such a good base to start with you'll be $$ ahead big time.  10.50s with tires and a drive shaft is insane.  I had to work and work and mod and work some more, then learn to drive to get OC in the 10s.  With a simple tune I might be able to hit 9s in this thing, and certainly with a pulley swap, all of which are pretty cheap mods.

12 hours ago, 3 pedals said:

Nice times! Speedy so that’s the stock tune on that car and pulley as well? What tires are you using? I ended up selling my 09 R/T in October and bought a 17 M6 Hellcat. But winters here’s and the cars away until April. Can’t wait to get it to the track. Thanks

Stock pulley no tune whatsoever.  I can post a screen shot of my data logs to show proof of stock boost, shift rpm, etc.  Car made about 11.5 psi according to the log.

6 hours ago, CruzKing said:

Jay, i thought i had a good race against OC but now i'm trailing again.:huh:.

thought you were sleeping a little at the lights .:rolleyes:

nice times, when you getting that roll bar?

Man they were running a pro tree and I was NOT used to that LOL.  

3 hours ago, mopar27028 said:

Are you running a slick or radial ?  Awwesome times

Hoosier 28x10 slick on a 17x10 Weld wheel.  Racestar 18" fronts with M&H front runners.

13 hours ago, Goehner said:

Very nice. 10.5 is hauling ass, and that thing probably gets 25 mpg doesn't it?

Thanks Alan, I was boogying to get to the track and back, I think I averaged 23MPG running 80-85.

I happy for you, but posts like this keep reminding me I should have jumped out of this Scat into a Cat before the last round of upgrades, thinking my last upgrade will be going to a slick to see what a 1.6 sixty foot does for my ET.

That's some serious HC advertising, Dodge better hire you pronto! No seriously, I've been looking forward to hearing Your rundown and comparison of the HC vs OC, as I knew what you had invested into OC and not just monetary. You always hear people praising the HC, but with your previous experience and detailed mind I felt I'd ( we ) would get a reliable feedback from our ( modding ) viewpoint...not just someone that can purchase the "it" car at the time..but someone that will be thinking about how the HC can be used as an actual track tool. Anyways thanks for the info and please keep updating your experience, it's enjoyable and informative 

I know yours is only a fair weather driver but even the best weather reports miss a rain shower time to time...what is the deal with the hood vent opening right above the CAI? Is there any protection from the elements if you went with a LMI? Even with the stock intake box rain just pours in on top of the box doesn't it?

Not really to be honest.  Most aftermarket CAIs have a cover over them with a channel to divert water.  I have to use an air gun to clean out the flutes on the stock air box after every wash.  I wish it had a louvered vent on it that could be opened and closed.  Maybe I should invent that.

Congrats on the times . Its funny the little needed to surpass "our old builds" . My 08 KB car cost around 20k in upgrades to run mid 10's . I basically did the same upgrades as you plus the top pulley and Q16. It dynoed at 706 and ran 10.3 . I've since upgrade injectors and added the lower pulley . We've only tuned with 93 but made 816 on the dyno . I haven't tracked it since due to back surgery but expect 9's with the latest changes . We will also do some trans. tuning before spring race season.  I'm still getting 22 to 23 mpg around town and 25-26 mpg on the highway running 70-75mph on trips.

Hellcats are amazing IMO .

Yeah, these cars are pretty bananas.  I was talking to Mike at OSTDyno and he thinks with just tuning Go Man Go would run a high 9.9x at about 137MPH.