Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MiHiHemi

Cat Delete?

I have a 2015 SRT 392, A8.  My engine builder for an N.A. 426 stroker build wants to go cat delete along with the addition of Kooks Headers.  Does a cat delete improve the HP that much or is it a "purest" piece of the best complete build puzzle?  We have to pass emissions here and the builder says he is happy to put cats back on and take it to the testing station himself when the time comes.  If it contributes to the whole package, I guess I'm up for it.  He does all of his own in house dyno tuning.

Put the cats on. They don’t add much and your doing the right thing.

Plus there’s no head ache in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You would see a HP increase without them, but I agree, it's a headache dealing with putting them on and taking them off....and just cause he said he would now doesn't mean when the time comes both of your schedules are going to line up and conveniently work out. It's a small amount of HP for a headache.

Thanks guys!  My gut was telling me the same thing.  No guarantee he'll be around come test time and I'd like to know for sure that the day I pick it up, the build will pass emissions.  The builder is a perfectionist which I appreciate but I'll have to insist on this one.  On a side note, what do you think about maybe going to high flow cats? Or not worth the bang for the buck.

i f you keep the cats you will be limited to the race fuel you can use. High octane Unleaded is hard to find at the tracks. I thinks its 109 or 110.

I think n2o is going to shorten their life as well.  The guys at N2O Outlet, as well as my tuner, recommended I get rid of the cats.  I put on a set of kooks and catless pipes a little while ago.  I had to do an obd11 scan emissions test in IL.  I fucked around with o2 sensor spacers and steel wool for a few weeks and could not get the appropriate sensors to reach a ready status for the test.  I sent a copy of my tune to Johan, and he was able to trigger the ready status.  The car passed the next day, much to the disbelief of the guy administering the test.  If you need to pass a visual inspection, then obviously my experience is of little use to you.  The exhaust smells stronger now, and the car is pretty loud.

bill

Cool, thanks funk.  They just do the OBD here with no visual too.  I've heard the smell becomes more obvious.  Is it just around the back of the car?  Hopefully no smell inside.

N2O and race gas will shorten the life of cats, and even the fuzzy ones ( humor ). But I'd go high flow either way and pay the piper when it's time 

I don't smell it inside, just in the garage after I pull in, or if I'm walking around the car while it's idling.  I'm a custom metal worker, and spend most days in some kind of food processing/manufacturing facility, so my sense of smell has probably degraded quite a bit.  My wife says it's a big difference, I don't really notice it.