Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

pinned

HP TUNING AUTO vs STICK

I have finished a conversion on my 2011 392 Challenger from auto to stick and need advise on tunes.  My car is blown [procharger P1 7psi] and has  canned procharger tunes for an auto which is drastically different than the manual tunes I now need [affects start signal among other things].  I have asked for help from procharger but they were of absolutely no help, refused because I modified the car since I bought their product.........  I was contemplating an HP suite to capture the essentials to convert my stock stick PCM tune.  Any advise or experience would be appreciated.  Merry Christmas...

JIM

Wow, I don't think Ive heard of anyone else doing a tranny conversion on these cars yet! How did that go? And Bravo!

In regards to the question, I would personally purchase an open/unlocked performance  PCM from Mopar or whoever, then take my car to a reputable tuner like A2,Bfny, OST etc....

The Hardest part was finding someone that knew what they were talking about on the computer stuff..had lots of help from guys on this and LX forums trying to run down wiring.  All said and done the most important part is the PCM .  It has to be programmed to your vin with Stick shift parameters.  Dont get me wrong I dont have it all dialed in yet but the hard part is handled.   A guy named Jon Rodriguez [nyinstaller] is a stud when it comes to the PCM.  I used all stock parts including a manual transmission/ engine wiring harness.  I did not change out the dash components or wiring so I had to run my own wiring into the PCM loom because Dodge uses 2 completely different wiring systems through the WIN module and to the PCM for auto vs Manual transmissions.  The car starts as it should using the clutch upstop and interrupt signals from the clutch switch.  As far as the unlocked PCM my car is early [2011] and doesnt require an unlocked PCM just the right tune, thats why I was thinking the HP suite to convert my auto files.

More than just a simple tranny swap of the old days I see...that's a bummer. I was hoping one day I might convert mine over. So from what I'm understanding, with the wiring system different between manual & auto, you had to add wiring for the PCM...like the safety switch wiring and (?). You replaced the auto PCM with a stick "model" with your VIN added just missing these wiring additions? 

Please bare with me trying to understand how you had to go about this and exactly what the problem is...if you replaced the PCM and had your vin programmed in ( who did that, dealer? ) you would need a tune for the blower...instead of converting the current tune..why not just have the car custom tuned.

Yes Far different than the old days.  You can have your current PCM programmed to manual parameters.  I just wanted the ability to return to Auto if I wanted in the future and because the car is a numbered IE edition  and I wanted to save as much of the stock stuff as possible.  If your are swapping out a challenger the parts are readily available.  I used all stock SRT parts [most are the same or interchangeable with non SRT].  You will need trans tunnel cover, engine/trans wiring harness, clutch pedals/master with hose, flywheel, clutch and slave plus trans, crossmember and drive shaft. Rear diff is geared steeper [for me 3.90 vs 3.06] shifter boot trim ring etc.  The hood release cable and supply hose to clutch master are together on some models or you can improvise through the boot at the firewall.  I think thats most of it but the tricky part is to run jumpers into the PCM harness to the clutch pedal switch. One is ground, one is upstop signal and one is interlock or depressed signal.  the upstop and interlock go to the PCM in pins A87 and A40, if I recall correctly.  If you swap out dash wiring you wont have to jump in at the PCM just connect to the under dash hook up for the clutch swith which will be routed through the Win Module or internal wiring....Piece of cake right?  Every one told me it couldnt be done and I should just sell my car etc...the rest of the guys dug in and tried to help.  Dont ever listen to nay sayers.  If you need help ping me and I will do all I can.  Merry Christmas to you and yours.

Awesome stuff, way to stick to it! Yeah I always heard and seen others be told it was pretty much impossible or cost prohibitive, but from what you've done, basically just need a donor car and pull some parts not too much of a hassle ( now that you figured it out for the rest of us, thanks for that! ) Hell of a Job!

Merry Christmas