Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blackcharger1

cam upgrade to factory 6.4 VVT

Contact a builder and have them select the right cam for your needs. More bang for the buck and better results.

Don't forget springs... push rods and 6.1 lifters.... maybe also upgrade to a larger TB to compliment the cam.

Stevo

He put a 392 cam in his 5.7. Made power on the Dyno but went backwards on the track. Just didn’t perform like on the dyno

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The torque range has changed with the 392 cam.Peak torque is higher in the rpm change now. Making more power just higher in the rpm's. You will probably have to go with a higher stall convertor to get the benefit from the new cam. I am in the same boat. New cam back in April now slower at the track. I currently have a FTI 3200 stall.  I am going to have to go to at least a 4200 stall to be in my cam peak torque range. I will get it dialed by in & be faster in the long run.

^^^^exactly. Back when we were putting the 392 cam in the cars there wasn’t anywhere near the VVT cam choices or the tuning to support cam changes. This was 2011-2012ish. We have come a long way since then. Any can change is going to require supporting mods to go with it, and the converter is one that is often overlooked by a lot of the guys with automatic trans.

My 60ft times went from mid 1.5s-1.6 to 2.0. After I get out past the 100ft mark the car feels like you hit it with a shot of nitros. Off the line is probably where Cruz King's car got slower with the new cam. I am not sure about the cam specs on the 392 cam but I remember them being quite a bit different from stock 5.7 cam.

It is, it’s larger with a really wide LSA. Mine was a dog off the line after the swap. Lots of 13 second passes at 117 and 2.0-2.2 60’s. lol.