Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goehner

Aaaaand again.......

36 posts in this topic

Pretty much everything but the short block. New valves, hopefully the heads are ok, timing chain, cam, lifters, ATI damper, Dave Weber at Modern Muscle suggested me using the stock damper may have been an issue on the stroker. I think that is it.

why in the bell would one recommend a stock dampner on a non stock crank setup is beyond me.

get an ati and be done with that madness.  i actually wonder if you switched front covers you could go with the 6.4 timing setup?  would suck to swap it all over but also get different tensioners that are metal not plastic.

just tbinking out loud is all.

I don't remember if someone recommended it, but I had an ATI OD when I had the Procharger, and when I went NA, I sold it, went to stock damper. I think I am running a 6.4 cover with a 6.1 timing set. I don't know if I can run a 6.4 timing set, that is something I did not think of, but I also don't know if the 6.4 is better. ATI stock size damper is on the way for this build.

I’ve been running the 6.4 set since 2012. I know it’s better than the 5.7 set (or was back then). Dunno if it would work for your setup but I haven’t had an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5.7 6.1 still use plastic i believe. 

the 6.4 set is just the top vvt stuff that makes the room an issue.  i assume you still had to run the crank spacer on yours before adding the lower timing gear?  if so 6.4 timing gear is an option for sure.  mines aluminum not plastic i looked after my last post.

According to Alb440, the spacer goes in front of the lower crank gear between the gear and balancer. The 6.4 vvt set might work, but might be an alignment issue with the cover seal.

strange.  if you have an aftermarket crank.  they need the spacer to replace the machined crank snout end that the older pre vvt engine didnt have.  it is to bring the gear further forward due to this universal crank machining.  which allows the newer 09+ to use the older 08> crank design.  this is the cause of the different depth dampners.

that is the way i see it in the instructions anyways.