Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

CruzKing

weather man drew a red line thru my house.

36 posts in this topic

Ugh, weather channel has drawn a line right thru out neighborhood on Florence's track for landfall. Been here 11 years and only had a brush or two, rain flooding parts of the plantation, but this one zeros in on NC. We live 6 miles from the Atlantic 3 miles north of the NC SC border.

our house is right under the red spinning 1.

Be safe man and keep us posted, we just had a close call with one of the wildfires out here in California last month so I feel your concern. Fortunately that beast of yours can outrun the storm

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

23 minutes ago, GARRETTECH said:

my mom lives on oak island and she was hell bent on riding it out....thankfully someone talked some sense into her and she is getting out

Hope she headed south west GA. the flooding is going to go 300 miles inland .. to Asheville.

we decided that after the traffic and the fact it may take 7 days to make it back, we were going to ride it out.

5 minutes ago, SavageDad said:

Be safe man and keep us posted, we just had a close call with one of the wildfires out here in California last month so I feel your concern. Fortunately that beast of yours can outrun the storm emoji41.png

Car is in the garage, drove the front up ramps to gain 8 in for the engine.

will keep y'all informed if we have elec , which may take a week to get.

Car is in the garage, drove the front up ramps to gain 8 in for the engine.
 will keep y'all informed if we have elec , which may take a week to get.
Oh geeze man...you're a better man than me, I would've packed up and headed for the hills!

1 minute ago, CruzKing said:

Hope she headed south west GA. the flooding is going to go 300 miles inland .. to Asheville.

we decided that after the traffic and the fact it may take 7 days to make it back, we were going to ride it out.

She is headed to the Georgia/SC border inland....wish she was coming to my house in NY but as long as she is off that sandbar.when she first moved there I remember old timers saying oak island practically disappeared in 1954 from hurricane Hazel.....i found this picture

c93d57b62f31d520fcacbb5c221bc757.jpg 

Come on GG! This is not one to mess with. A week is incredibly optimistic to get power back after a storm this size. My neighborhood was barely impacted by Katrina and we were out a month. Don’t be fooled by the forecasts that says it will drop to a Cat3 just before landfall, once it gets this big and stays that way for this long it will be pushing a lot more water than the wind speed might indicate. Katrina did the same thing so they tell us that it was only a 3 at landfall,  but Mississippi got 27 FEET of surge! 

I am am worried that the string of fairly small storms NC has had in the last couple decades gives them a false bravado. I get aggravated with the media calling every minor storm the storm of the century and when it gets this much pre-press fatigue sets in. 

For good news, I see that the Cajun Navy has alreaded starting heading east! 

It is easy for me to say "get the fuck out" but I have never been through a hurricane, so I might just ride it out too. 

I still vote get the fuck out.

When Katrina hit the coast, one of my former boss’ house was just a block off the beach.  All that was left was the slab.  This was a beautiful 2 story brick hime that had been reinforced for hurricane force winds.  But there is no way to prepare for 10’s of feet of water and the damage it can do.  Another boss’ house was farther inland.  His first floor was 18’ above sea level.  He had water in his first floor.  It had to be completely redone.  Yes it was 18’ off the ground and it was not safe from storm surge.  Everything from the beach to the railroad tracks, which was miles inland, was leveled, and all the debris was deposited on the train tracks.  In one location the storm surge picked up the tracks and twisted them where they looked like a picket fence.  Can you imagine the force of water it takes to do that when you are a couple miles from the beach.  

The weather forecasters are not wrong when they say this one may be the worst of Katrina and Harvey combined.  Storm surge, wind, followed by up to 30” of rain.  This is not a storm to mess with.  You do not want to be home when it passes because it will take a month or longer to START the clean-up from this one.  Katrina hit the end of August.  I remember driving back from Tennessee after Thanksgiving and it was so surreal driving through New Orleans on the interstate and most sections of the city still had no power 3 months later.  Yes completely black where you knew there were homes and businesses.  

And yes I am telling you this to scare the hell out of you.  Don’t stay.  It will not be a pleasant experience.  Call your insurance company.  They will probably pay some sort of per diem for expenses while you are gone if your area is hit.  

our problem is that to the west , nothing but flood zones for 200 miles, after that toward asheville there are mountains that will cause severe flooding.  thought about heading south to Ga SC line, now they are saying its turning south so Ga and SC may get the worst. we are trying our best to hunker down. thanks for y'all best wishes. 

got a plan for "deplorable" my challenger.. if the garage starts flooding i will drive it around the back yard and park it on the elevated green behind the house, magnolia #1.

that will gain me 6-8 feet, if that doesn't work well, fucked with the car and the house and time to climb up to the second floor with an axe.

I have a very good friend who 'tried' to ride out Katrina. He lived in the Hudson valley where I live for years (how we met), then moved to Mississippi. He lived closer to the coast than 6 miles BUT....at one point waves were pounding his house, eventually plowed through the door that he was leaning against, sent him across the living room and him and his girlfriend had to swim out of the house.....and what he said was 'you think its just water, but its water just filled with debris'. Pack up the car, go north somewhere and go racing and just hope for the best when you get back.

Greg-

Don't you have family up in Ohio?  WTF are you doing?  Go visit your pit crew for a week.

Wish you the best no matter what.....

Rob

thanks , we decided to stay after knowing flooding 200 + miles inland. we had rooms 70 miles inland but that turned into a severe flood zone area.   it will take 2-3 weeks to get back to the home.  SO we will be careful .

thanks for your concern. CK.

He texted me this morning
But only about car stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Let us know if you hear any updates please.

5 hours ago, Renfrick1 said:

Just heard he has no hot water no cold beer and no power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do we need to set up a gofundme for him some cold beer?