Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

R/Thawk

6.4 cam on a 5.7

Hello to all and anyone that can give me any help or information lately I've been thinking about camming my 2013 Dodge Charger with a 6.4 cam... but of course I don't know what all I need to change out I've been told by some people that I can just put the cam in by itself and to get a tune

Nope.... nope.... nope..... don't do it. Lots of threads on this swap. You are better off to contact Eric at BFNY or Mike at OST..... they will pick the cam you are looking for.

Stevo

Did it. Don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you elaborate a bit?

I was under the impression that this was a good mod for 6 speed cars, picking as much as 50 hp on the dyno

it sucked , did it .... don't.

Im trying to follow

However its hard when you are just being told “dont do it”. Everyones experience differ depending on the car and the build. If i may ask, how far did you get into the build? At what point did you decide it wasn’t worth it?

Could you elaborate a bit?

I was under the impression that this was a good mod for 6 speed cars, picking as much as 50 hp on the dyno

The 6 speed cam is better, but not the best option. Get a custom grind if you are going to go through the work. The cam was our only option 8 years ago so a lot of people did it. The cam was a dyno monster that never translated into results on the track. This was the common experience.

The 6 speed cam is better, but not the best option. Get a custom grind if you are going to go through the work. The cam was our only option 8 years ago so a lot of people did it. The cam was a dyno monster that never translated into results on the track. This was the common experience.

Yes but “translating to the track” can mean many things, if it made the power on the dyno then its just transferring the power all that well, be it the high stall converter or whatever. If thats the case, wouldnt ANY cam run you through the same hoops? Isnt the whole purpose of a cam to open up the lift/exhaust and shift the power band?

Im sorry im no expert and have never swapped a cam into a car before. So i am mainly here to pick your brain. See, I’ve already went ahead and purchased a 6 speed cam for my 16’ M6 R/T. Got it fairly cheap brand new as a matter of fact and seemed like a good option

Best of luck.

Ok?

“Just get a custom grind” is not something i am able to pull off. Close to $1K to not be smog legal, (not everyone is building a racecar) with a custom cam. This factory cam not only will keep me CA smog compliant, but ill still get decent power gain.