Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Speedy

Engine Failure Diagnosis

I'll go through what I found when we pulled the heads, show the data logs, etc. If there's a ton of questions/interest I might try to do a "live" to talk through it more. Never done one though, so who knows.

Not too surprised. If you look at piston design you will see that they have short skits and the wrist pin boss is now dang near in the oil ring groove. 

Are Hellcat pistons forged or cast? Hypereutectic piston?

Plus you have beating the snot out of it for what 3 years with mods that were not designed for the car. So, no it does not surprise me.

IIRC - when the 392 came out they were coughing up pistons on a regular basis especially on a boosted engine.

You gotta keep up Dale.  Car's only been modded for less than 6 months.  Pulley was just added in February I think.

Pistons are supposedly forged, but SRT claims it's a proprietary formula that can't be compared against 4034 or 2618, so obviously should be read as "not strong enough".  Had a guy send me an Instagram message yesterday, his Redeye failed the exact same way.  Seems SRT kinda cut corners on the materials.

Yes, 392s were known for piston problems with boost, top ring land had to be super thin to pass emissions, but Hellcats are boosted from the factory, shoulda been stronger IMO, but seems some are OK and others not so much.  John Sipple runs 9.50s on the stock engine, 17psi and a 200 shot.  Watched him do it over and over again at MSHS VMP last Sept.

Redeye and Demon engines are at least torque plate honed, where standard Hellcat is not, so that "should" help, but I'm not sure how much we should trust SRT's claims the Demon and RE engines are upgraded....maybe somewhat with extra oiling and supposedly a bit stronger rods and pistons but they're still breaking at about the 1000RWHP mark.

Hard to keep up with you Speedy... Especially when you delay your videos. lol

Plus I claim "Senior Moments" & I have CRS (Can't Remember Shit). lmao

Lastly, I have only worked on old SBC & Ford's.

Remember a chain is only as strong as the weakest link.