Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Hemi57

USB - Uconnect

Any of you use a USB Thumb Drive to store your personal music collection? That means you have to install the USB Stick

in the connector in the console. What a PITA especially if you want to update it.

2017%20scat%20pack%20usb%20plug%20mod%20

So I found a short USB extension cable that makes the process easy.

The 32 gig Thumb Drive in the photo above took a shit today. It doesn't surprise me as I got it at $5 Below just shits & grins.

So today I tested a 64 gig Thumb Drive. Its was formatted in exFat32... It did NOT work. So, I formatted it NTFS and loaded

a test file on it and it worked. I loaded about 16 gig worth of music from my backup file on it,

NOTE - It will take a minute or so to for Uconnect to read the data, catalog the folders and songs the first time you access it.

Also, don't go crazy with folders... mine are only 2 deep.

Thumb Drive is sooo slow. I prefer to just go by a pawn shop and buy an old iPod or obsolete iPhone (iPod touch is best due to SSD). Reads and browses so much faster and reliably. If you want to go cheap, find an old one with hard drive and get an SD card kit for it. 

Other music players may work, but I've always found an iPod is simpler and more reliable as the systems are designed with them in mind.

Of course most of the world just uses Bluetooth. 

I have found the same with big flash drives, they will work, but are so slow as to be better to go small. 

Got a point, Chuck...

But, I have all channels SiriusXM for free. It seems when their "Offshore Call Center" CS rep was trying to fix my $25 subscription for the Corvette she erased the Scat Pack. So, when my 1-year trial ended it is like the Energizer bunny... It just keeps on going and going and going.. 

I don't play the media, aka the USB stick that often,  I added a folder with a "MIX" of our favoite songs on the stick and when I play it I put it on shuffle. So, the speed is good enough for my usage.

OBTW - the 64gig drive is a USB 3.0 so the read speed is very good. Now on the other hand Uconnect my be the gating factor.