Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ScapeGoat

Time For Some Hair Dryers! 67Mm Turbos

1,616 posts in this topic

you guys crack me up!

little update

well all my stainless tubing (1.75, 3 and 3.5") is ordered and will be in tues or wed

aluminum tubing (2.5") should be in by thur/fri

flanges and v bands should be here in a week or so

Harrison is ordering my turbos & boost controller tues

What's the advantage of turbos over superchargers? I know one advantage of turbos vs supercharger is the lack of parasitic drag on engine to power them - no belt, pulley, etc. One disadvantage is lag.

But I would think boost is boost - edjimicate me please. :D

Turbos are more efficient by a long shot. With current turbo technology, I don't hear much about lag anymore, but I've never built nor owned a turbo car so I'm not 100% sure on that.

I like them mounted up in the bumper.....my only concern would be the heat those things can generate and start melting stuff. This car is about 50% plastic it seems.

What's the advantage of turbos over superchargers?

But I would think boost is boost

Turbo wastegates are controlled electronically or by a reference pressure, so if they are told to deliver 14 psi you will get 14 psi no matter your altitude or DA. SCs boost varies greatly with DA.

Also, IATs can be higher since the compressor is inherently tied to hot exhaist gases. But large intercoolers are capable of negating that downfall.

psi for psi turbos will allow more hp at the wheels than sc.

boost is boost. but even though my vortech was one of the most efficient SCs ever built. it still took HP to turn it. turbos are even more efficient as they use the heat already generated by the engine to drive the unit. boost is easily changed by the push of a button. no pulley changes and belt swaps. less strain on the accessory drive (no more broken tensioners)

last but not least massive potential hp, my twins are capable at max of 1800hp. lag is a thing of the past as you can change the turbine housing for a couple hundred bucks to modify the AR and eliminate lag if it becomes an issue with the initial design.

The only real downside I see with turbos is all the piping and connections to include the oil lines to the turbos themselves. That one thing always made me edgy about them.

You gonna tap the pan for those Mike or ?

The only real downside I see with turbos is all the piping and connections to include the oil lines to the turbos themselves. That one thing always made me edgy about them.

You gonna tap the pan for those Mike or ?

no different than my current blower that is oil fed and drains into the pan. will have to scavenge pump them because of how low they are going to sit. this is unless I change my design. I have a couple ideas but nothing is in stone until I have them in my hands and can visualize them in the car.

A little lag is not bad, helps you hook, boost comes in more gradual.

Kick me in the nuts if I am wrong.

a_kick_in_the_nuts.jpg

a little lag is good unless you can set your controller to ramp the boost in over time at launch.

They'll still build boost with RPMs which in these cars is a good thing for running good track times.

Mike's got the 426 under the hood, so it won't need much help getting off the line.