Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

toofart

Noobie's Ultimate Guide To Performance Mods

46 posts in this topic

I figured I'd jot down some notes in a thread we can sticky, so that our newcomers have a resource to read without needing to ask questions. If I missed anything, please let me know and I'll constantly update this post.

CAI
You're installing a CAI mostly for the looks, so pick which one you think looks best. Favourites include, Mopar performance & Air RAID. Expect about 5-7 hp gain and a bit more of a throaty sound at WOT. Legmaker & Stack Bullet CAIs, which pull from hehind the fender, will yield lower intake temps (IAT).

Put a K&N filter in the stock box for best bang-for-your-buck.

Cat-back
Like with the CAI, you're installing a cat-back for better sound, not performance. You may gain a few hp and you'll shed a few lbs. Favourites include Magnaflow, Corsa, Solo, MBRP.

Headers
On SRT, the clam manifolds are adequate until you start getting into serious mods (blower/stroker).

On R/T the stock manifolds are junk. Upgrade with SRT clams (you'll need the SRT mids) or shorty headers such as the JBA. Use the stock R/T gaskets since they have a lip. Expect a about 8-10 hp increase with these.

Long tubes provide the best hp gains, but are costly.

You won't need a retune for headers+CAI+catback.

Throttle Body
Unless you have cash burning in your pocket, save your money. An 85 mm TB will not get you much. The Bang-For-Your-Buck DIY mod here is to port and polish the stock TB yourself. Get some kids paint or other washable material, apply to the manifold, and press the TB against it. Use a Dremel tool to port-match the openings, flaring into the TB. Smooth with very fine sandpaper but don't go near the area where the throttle plate closes since this could affect airflow at idle. Takes 2-3 hours. Reward oneself with with beer.

Catless/high-flow mids
On a stock car, you have about 15hp tied up in the cats. If you can live with the smell, go for it. The old-school sound is worth it.

Thermostat
Lower engine temps = lower engine bay temps = lower temps = good.

Jet 180* is the best buy. Napa 162 and Motorad 4062 are 185* units and best for those in colder temps. Use a predator to lower your fan settings for max. benefit.

Catch can
If you believe in it, just do it. If you think it's a waste of money, it probably is.

Predator/Trinity
Predator is a great tool for installing tunes. Trinity has gauges and lots of memory for datalogging, and analog inputs.

The canned tunes provide little benefit to a stock-ish car. Mostly shift firmness on the autos. Get rid of skip-shift on the sticks. Essential tool for installing a toon.

Custom tune
Email tunes have been proven safe provided you know how to datalog. diablotoona, lafrad, hemituner are some of the people you can contact. There are many more though, and someone smarter than I will tell me who I've missed.

With a combination of bolt-ons, a custom tune will optimize everything to work together and can increase hp by a considerable amount (10-15hp).

Superchargers
Pick one -- you can't go wrong.

Track favourites include Kenne Bell and Vortech and Procharger. The fastest cars on the planet run these.

Street favourites include Magnacharger and Vortech. Magnachargers are universally hated by everyone who doesn't own one.

There are other choices -- Edelbrock, SMS, Whipple, and others. Again, just pick one. On a stock block, 8psi can be safe for a long time. Show your tuner lots of love.

Going faster

After a few passes down the quarter mile, you'll suddenly want to play with the big boys.  Take your time.  The cost of going faster is typically exponential, and the time you spend driving your car (and enjoying it) decreases in the same way. Complex builds are just that -- complex.  You'll wait, your shit will be always broken, and you will be broke too.  Small steps.

Edited by toofart

What do you mean catch cans go away? There the best bang for your buck for added HP.

I know that mine's a lot faster with it. Especially when I keep it filled up.

I likey!! But I kind of need something between this and some of the more advanced threads that are on here. So, Would one of you guys be willing to put together an Intermediate guide to performance mods? Or maybe the titles of the individual threads could say intermediate, advanced, etc, so those of us who are not guru/expert/PHD mechanics can ramp up our knowledge in stages, as opposed to getting in over our heads, getting frustrated, and settling for current knowledge level.

What do you mean, if you can get a ProCharger to work? Just curious. I've been running a P-1SC-1 for a year. I just upgraded to a D-1SC. No problems with mine!

The fact is if you can work on an engine you don't need a warranty.

This is the first car I've ever had that came with a warranty. Well there was a used Buick with one of those wynne bs warranties but still. I think I'd be afraid to let someone work on my car. I've NEVER had someone do anything other than alignments and tires.

Superchargers

Pick one -- you can't go wrong.

Track favourites include Kenne Bell and Vortech.

Street favourites include Magnacharger and Vortech.

Procharger is probably a good unit if you can get it to work. Don't even ask about SMS.

On a stock block, 8psi can be safe for a long time. Show your tuner lots of love.

I disagree. The fastest LX/LC in the country runs a Procharger. 2 of the top 10 cars are running Procharger and 2 of the top 10 are Vortech.

Nice thread, Denis. I believe his reference Andy is to the fact that the kit is not a simple drop in. Brackets, fitment, etc... have been well highlighted on the LX. Some on CT, I think. I've got a friend nearby that had his done and there was fab work that was needed to make it right. This was on a Charger.

HemiSam

Catch cans are confusing! Nobody knows how much oil to pour in them B)

I know, I filled mine 1/3rd full and got hammered at ct for it, I drained it immediately, hope I didn't void my warranty. ;)

Thanks for putting this together, TF. It takes a lot of guess work out for someone like me.

I figured I'd jot down some notes in a thread we can sticky, so that our newcomers have a resource to read without needing to ask questions. If I missed anything, please let me know and I'll constantly update this post.

Catch can

Go away.

What do you mean Go Away. That's my next mod.

I likey!! But I kind of need something between this and some of the more advanced threads that are on here. So, Would one of you guys be willing to put together an Intermediate guide to performance mods? Or maybe the titles of the individual threads could say intermediate, advanced, etc, so those of us who are not guru/expert/PHD mechanics can ramp up our knowledge in stages, as opposed to getting in over our heads, getting frustrated, and settling for current knowledge level.

x2. Now that I've done the CAI and next is the Catch Can, I'll be ready for the advanced class for mods.:D

I know, I filled mine 1/3rd full and got hammered at ct for it, I drained it immediately, hope I didn't void my warranty. lol

Catch Cans have a warranty? lol lol lol lol

great thought there denise but lousy effort and not enough info for anyone.

the Pro Charger bolts right on just like all the rest. If you buy it from the right place. Not to mention the fastest car runs it and is a daily driver. where the whipple and edlebrook and whats wrong with SMS

What do you mean Go Away.

:) I mean, don't ask about it lol I'll update the words.

great thought there denise

I look nothing like a Denise, but thanks.

tn2_denise_richards_4.jpg

but lousy effort and not enough info for anyone.

Okay... In addition to blasting my effort, do you have suggestions for words I can put up there to make it more complete, or is kicking people in the nuts just what you do to people who try to help?

well toofart, I appreciate the write up....the last car I hotrodded was a 69 barracuda so the high tech cars are a new beast for me and I am very glad to read an honest catch can opinion....plus I like everyone bustin your balls

jack wagon for a title??? thats lame....who the fuck is the admin around here, I want dark helmet

man tf - you're lookin good these days! Your post still stucks ... :)lol

Seriously, seems like a decent synopsis of info to me. The solo mach-x added about 9hp over stock for me, but basically 0 over the DCX tune I had.

One question - I thought that you saw better gains from doing the JBA's than high flow cats? I skipped the solo high flows cause I'm hoping to do the JBA's this winter. I figured that I'd get better bang for the buck with the shorties - is that a bad assumption?

Here is a true indicator of performance

1 Tim@Mr.Norm's 2009 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Turbo

2 9SECSRT 2008 Dodge Charger SRT8 Procharger

3 E_Rosa 2006 Dodge Charger SRT8 Vortech

4 BuilderBill 2007 Jeep SRT8 Turbo

5 HEMI~C~ 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 Vortech

6 Chris@LPM 2006 Jeep SRT8 Turbo

7 Big AL G 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Turbo

8 The Colonel 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Procharger

9 SRT5939 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Kenne Bell

10 Jack SickSRT 2008 Dodge Challenger SRT8 Kenne Bell

11 robsrt 2006 Dodge Magnum SRT8 Nitrous