Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70challengerrt440

Stack Performance Phenolic Intake Spacers

If your intent is to delay heat soak of intake they not only work they work very well. So from a cool start in pit to first run you will surely arrive at the line with a cooler intake.15 min at operating temp with hood closed mine showed only 10-12 degrees cooler via laser. What I don't know is what impact the additional length added to the runners may make if any. I run no strut brace but for those that do beware of the 3/8" rise that will take place.

I'm still using them. I've had them on since February 2010, so about 2 years and 50,000+ miles.

The only facts that really have become of them are:

- they definitely reduce heat transferred through the heads to the manifold (reference pictures below) and the intake duct
- they raise the intake manifold up by approx. 1/4in increasing the runner length and intake manifold volume slightly (this could have a bad effect on MAP but I've yet to do a stock vs after install datalog comparison)
- worst cast, they reduce manifold temperatures by 20 deg F. Best case I've seen is approximately a 60 deg F difference.

Issues:
- I have replacement OEM gaskets coming in. I did notice the manifold wasn't tight to the torque specs from the service manual. Even so, I'm at 62,000+ miles right now and I'm due for manifold maintenance anyway.

Overall, I think the phenolic spacers have met their intended purpose: primarily reduce the transfer of heat from the engine block to the intake tube which eventually heatsoaks the IAT sensor.

I think the composite intakes on the 6.4L and 5.7L have achieved this same concept: reduce transfer of heat to the intake tube.

Also to note - these are only meant to be used on the aluminum manifold. They are pretty pointless on the composite ones.

Idling
[img]http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/8476/spacerr.jpg[/img]

After a drive. Ambient temp was 42 deg F.
[img]http://img31.imageshack.us/img31/4857/temp2g.jpg[/img]

"I'm still using them.

The only facts that really have become of them are:

- they definitely reduce heat transferred through the heads to the manifold (reference pictures below) and the intake duct
- they raise the intake manifold up by approx. 1/4in increasing the runner length and intake manifold volume slightly (this could have a bad effect on MAP but I've yet to do a stock vs after install comparison)
- worst cast, they reduce manifold temperatures 20-30 deg F. best case I've seen is approximately a 60 deg F difference"

that's an impressive temperature variance, and the intake still fits nicely under the REM strut bar. Seems like a plan especially at the strip with a quicker cooldown cycle

Eric

Good information. My ride came with the composite manifold and I just couldn't see it.

Less runner length gives you more HP. More runner length equals more torque from everything I've read. I prefer more HP with these cars but that's just me. If you're dead hooking, maybe you want more torque.

HemiSam

Yup, the phenolic material is pointless on a composite manifold like the 5.7 and 6.4L as the materials they are made of already create a thermal barrier. This is only for the 6.1l aluminum manifolds and acts more as a heatsoak inhibitor to the IAT sensor.

In the big scheme of things, the phenolic spacers are one part of the equation of getting to the ultimate goal of reducing the effects of heatsoak on the IAT sensor reading and providing the most consistent, close to ambient air temperatures as possible.

On the 6.1L, the stock location for the IAT sensor had -
-radiator fans blowing on it at idle,
-located next to oil pump
-next to the stock throttle body which was heatsoaked from the engine block

So, using the 392 engine as an example, the manifold is now composite, the intake tube is composite, the IAT sensor is moved away from the engine block, the IAT sensor has better wire insulation, and the intake tract draws air from the driver side fender well (less restricted by a larger air hole).

I would say, the best way to improve the 6.1L intake tract is to mimic the changes made to the 392. 1) Utilize the phenolic gaskets as a thermal barrier, 2) Utilize the 2011+ IAT sensor, 3) Utilize a fender pull intake, 4) relocate the IAT sensor away from the oil pump.

One concern with them installed would be the dog leg that it creates between the intake manifold and the heads. The pic below examples what we're talking about.

[img]http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/1964/flowline.jpg[/img]

If you really wanted to be accurate about how much of a dog leg, you could figure out the angle which the runner is going toward the heads, take the height of the spacer (3/8in) and then solve for "X". I used 33 deg as an example and it does not represent the actual angle of the intake runner, but you get the idea.
[img]http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/749/flowline2.jpg[/img]

In the end, it's a balance between whether you want to have less effect on the IAT sensor, of if you want to reduce smooth flow capability. Theoretically, I would say unrestricted flow is more important than having a thermal barrier to prevent the IAT sensor from heatsoaking. Even so, there are other ways to keep the IAT sensor better insulated from heat (ie, relocation and using the new 2011 IAT Sensor, intake tube material surrounding the sensor).

I swapped out my gaskets yesterday and left the phenolic spacers off. I'll give it some testing to see what happens.

Ray, are you the one who was making the adapter wiring harness for the 2011 iat sensors? I need one.