Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Hemi57

Heater Cart

I bought a Kerosene heater and I was to cheap to pay an extra $50 for the wheel kit. So, I decided to make my own. I stopped at Harbor Freight and picked up some wheels on sale for $10.

Next I went to the hardware store and pickup some bolts, washers and Nylon locking nuts for $3. The rest of the stuff was in my left over pile or extra's I had laying around.

HeaterCart00.jpg

HeaterCart01.jpg

HeaterCart02.jpg

The power cord from the heater is very short and there is no switch. That means you need to plug it in to start it and unplug it to stop it.

That's gets to be a real PITA. So, I made a switch box out of parts I had in the shop, metal outlet box, metal box cover, duplex outlet and a SPST switch.

I wired it up so the outlets are hot and the pig tail is wired to the switch. Now I have a 3 outlet extension cord with one outlet switched.

ExtCordSwtichBox01.jpg

ExtCordSwtichBox00.jpg

The white (neutral) is blue for clarity only.

Nice work. I did a similar setup with mine except I did not use a switch but did install a baseboard thermostat and that way I do not need to keep turning it on and off. It also works great. Mine is 200,000 btu. but I live in Minnesota. lol

Where in Mn? I was born in Austin, lived in Rochester and Kasson when I worked at IBM.

You should have seen my garage in Kasson.... Fully insulated, floor drain, a grease pit and a wood burning barrel stove with a heat reclaimer. I could work in my shirt sleeves when it was -20.

garage envy here bigtime, I can't imagine living with and working on cars with no hinderences. I shouldn't complain but moving things around all the time PITA, awesome stuff, seems like you should be uncomfortable tho sometimes when working on your own stuff, me lol

garage envy here bigtime, I can't imagine living with and working on cars with no hinderences. I shouldn't complain but moving things around all the time PITA, awesome stuff, seems like you should be uncomfortable tho sometimes when working on your own stuff, me lol

I did that in my first house. Single stall garage with just siding. I had a old oil stove the I could run full bore and maybe keep my ass warm if I was 6" away. No place to store my tools.. But, then everything I owned fit in a small tool box in the trunk of my car. I vowed that if I every had the chance to change it I would and the rest is history.

Here is the garage I had before my 40x75 building.

garage01.jpg

you have mastered fore sight, a wonderfull thing, whilst it's not too late for me to build a work shop, I just need to figure out where to go from here, recently retired and still a master of hindsight, some make things happen others wonder what happened, my hats off to ya 57

Always try to improve, if possible, on what you left. Hindsight is 20/20 and I try not to make the same mistake twice.

When I moved to the country my house sold the first day... The 14 acres sold in less than 60 days and your 6 miles from anything form of a town and 18 miles from the closest grocery store.. My RV trade in sold in week and was never touched by the dealership. My PT Cruise listed on the local Craig's list sold in 3 days. I take care of my shit.