Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BayouTiger

Etc Control Circuit Failures

49 posts in this topic
I have been dealing with ETC issues for quite some time. First time was two years ago. The light comes on and the car goes into limp mode. Next da it was fine. Then a few months later, same thing. Next day it is fine. Couple months later, happens again and doesn't go away. Swapped TB with another car and made no difference. Then just a suddenly it went away and didn't come back for a long time. Now it's popped back up and has come and gone three times in the past week.

Anyone had any issues like this? It had me and Eddie at SHR baffled. I guess I could try a dealer, but I don't ever see a dealer as SHR has a starscan and can generally do anything the dealer can, except they don't see the breadth of issues the dealers do.

Wish I could help but I'm in the same no dealer mode myself.

Usually service bulletins will have these cases listed and the troubleshooting or recommended steps for dealing with the issue if it is known. Not sure where to get that but my old neighborhood garage used to have it thru the Internet. That was for a Toyota Tundra. Helped me decide to buy that truck. I'm guessing it might cost something to have access to these.

CT has some bozos who claim they are dodge techs. They're usually eager to polish some knobs....I mean to help.

[quote name='Knownman' timestamp='1331180586' post='110094']
Wish I could help but I'm in the same no dealer mode myself.

Usually service bulletins will have these cases listed and the troubleshooting or recommended steps for dealing with the issue if it is known. Not sure where to get that but my old neighborhood garage used to have it thru the Internet. That was for a Toyota Tundra. Helped me decide to buy that truck. I'm guessing it might cost something to have access to these.

CT has some bozos who claim they are dodge techs. They're usually eager to polish some knobs....I mean to help.
[/quote]
Most on-line repair manuals have all known TSB's listed

[quote name='BayouTiger' timestamp='1331173955' post='110023']
I have been dealing with ETC issues for quite some time. First time was two years ago. The light comes on and the car goes into limp mode. Next da it was fine. Then a few months later, same thing. Next day it is fine. Couple months later, happens again and doesn't go away. Swapped TB with another car and made no difference. Then just a suddenly it went away and didn't come back for a long time. Now it's popped back up and has come and gone three times in the past week.

Anyone had any issues like this? It had me and Eddie at SHR baffled. I guess I could try a dealer, but I don't ever see a dealer as SHR has a starscan and can generally do anything the dealer can, except they don't see the breadth of issues the dealers do.
[/quote]
Allmost sounds like a intermediate short or glitch in the PCM

No, but my blower went on at about 3000 miles and three months. The is an extension for the TB, but we have checked and double checked it. I had the PCM replaced a couple months before it started. I am going to pull it and take a look at all the connectors this weekend.

I think I am going to continue to drive it to work this week and see what happens. Yesterday when it started this crap I was doing about 35 mph in traffic and though I was never going to get the car restarted. The Trinity acted like it was locked up so I could not reload the tune. After letting it set between restarting the car a few times, the red lighting bolt went away and it ran fine. Chuck came to help me as I thought I was stranded. I was parked at our local feed store getting dogfoo. The parking lot is down hill. In limp mode, I could not get the rpms up enough to get out of the parking lot. Boy did I look like a first class idiot. Right as Chuck got there I got it started. That was fun but at least I have one good experience of dealing with the problem and getting the car running myself. Though it was probably pure dumb luck! :)

I assume you weren't in boost.mines done the same thing a few times but only when I was on it.still haven't figured it out yet.

[quote name='WORK IN PROGRESS' timestamp='1331212200' post='110141']
I assume you weren't in boost.mines done the same thing a few times but only when I was on it.still haven't figured it out yet.
[/quote]

Well, um, I would not say that as I like to get a little aggressive passing when other vehicles that are pissing me off do to being in the left lane , no intention of turning, slow me down :)

All I can think of is a ground (ie a short). You stated same prob with different TB, otherwise I'd say swap it. Finally, swap out the ECM. None of those are crazy money.

Only other thing that comes to mind is you hitting a limit on some table in the tune but you're not WOT when it happens often so I'm less inclined to that theory.

HemiSam

MIne is always when cranking. I've never had an issue while driving.

When the first PCM died. It was completely dead. Died while driving and would not restart or even turnover. Originally thought it was the FOB but the key worked, and you could turn the car on, but no systems under the hood came to life. No more issues like that since.

The ETC seems to be more prevalent when the car is somewhat hot, which makes me think it's an intermittent connection or even the PCM even more.

Is the PCM a simple swap and tune load? I would think the dealer would have to flash it to match the VIN.

[quote name='BayouTiger' timestamp='1331213933' post='110152']
MIne is always when cranking. I've never had an issue while driving.

When the first PCM died. It was completely dead. Died while driving and would not restart or even turnover. Originally thought it was the FOB but the key worked, and you could turn the car on, but no systems under the hood came to life. No more issues like that since.

The ETC seems to be more prevalent when the car is somewhat hot, which makes me think it's an intermittent connection or even the PCM even more.

Is the PCM a simple swap and tune load? I would think the dealer would have to flash it to match the VIN.
[/quote]
Yes the PCM is a simple swap and tune load, if SHR has a Starscan they can match the VIN for you

Lisa/Chuck do you know what codes pop up? I have seen this happen with a bad Map as well. And it is very possible you actually have a bad throttle body.

Sure it isn't in the tune? Only at start up is odd. I had similar issue, but was random while driving in closed loop, lightning bolt, then limp. Pull over and kill then restart and fine. Ended up being the ported TB, Swapped to a BBK 85mm TB and a toon, fixed.

[quote name='Hemi31' timestamp='1331233883' post='110331']
Lisa/Chuck do you know what codes pop up? I have seen this happen with a bad Map as well. And it is very possible you actually have a bad throttle body.
[/quote]

We swapped the T/B with another car with no change. I don't remember the code, it clears as soon as it goes away. I don't think it's related to the tune as it is completely intermittent. I really think it is a connector issue. Possibly the T/B extension cable that you use to move the T/B with the Techco, but the issue never came up until we swapped the PCM for a different problem. I plan on pulling all the connections from the PCM this weekend.

[quote name='Hemi31' timestamp='1331233883' post='110331']
[/quote]

Well yesterday no codes, only the red lighting bolt. It took restarting the car several times to get it to clear up. Whatever happened locked up the trinity and I have not gotten it unlocked yet - haven't spent much time trying yet either.
[quote name='Dookie' timestamp='1331238882' post='110370']
Sure it isn't in the tune? Only at start up is odd. I had similar issue, but was random while driving in closed loop, lightning bolt, then limp. Pull over and kill then restart and fine. Ended up being the ported TB, Swapped to a BBK 85mm TB and a toon, fixed.
[/quote]

TB has been switched already. It is funny that the tune starts out fine, then after driving it a half dozen or so times, we start having issues. Most of the time reloading the tune helps for a little while, then it falls apart completely. Ran fine today though, no issues. Of course I was not as hard on it today as yesterday. ;)
[quote name='WORK IN PROGRESS' timestamp='1331248974' post='110422']
Shit Chuck,just get a kennel bell,that will solve all your probs. ;)
[/quote]

Thanks for all the help spending money! :)

[quote name='BayouTigress' timestamp='1331249376' post='110431']
Well yesterday no codes, only the red lighting bolt. It took restarting the car several times to get it to clear up. Whatever happened locked up the trinity and I have not gotten it unlocked yet - haven't spent much time trying yet either.

TB has been switched already. It is funny that the tune starts out fine, then after driving it a half dozen or so times, we start having issues. Most of the time reloading the tune helps for a little while, then it falls apart completely. Ran fine today though, no issues. Of course I was not as hard on it today as yesterday. ;)

[/quote]

Totally separate issue, the reloading the tune does nothing for the ETC issue. The Tune is an issue with adaptives and does not affect anything in a way that limp mode comes into play. In fact no codes at all when the tune falls apart, just wants to drop dead when you get off the gas, but starts right back up and runs fine until you hit the clutch and coast again.

[quote name='BayouTiger' timestamp='1331249635' post='110432']

Totally separate issue, the reloading the tune does nothing for the ETC issue. The Tune is an issue with adaptives and does not affect anything in a way that limp mode comes into play. In fact no codes at all when the tune falls apart, just wants to drop dead when you get off the gas, but starts right back up and runs fine until you hit the clutch and coast again.
[/quote]

Yes guys we are arguing on the forum because I am home and he is at work SUPPOSEDLY working. But no he is goofing off. :)

Check the codes when you can and see what it says. If its a voltage issue, its probably the TB extension, if its a P2173 High Airflow code, Its the tune. If you don't mind cutting your harness, just cut the connector off the extension and solder it to the wires on the main engine harness. That will take that connector out of the loop anyway.

J

Ok so happened again today. Total list of symptoms are as follows:

Lightening bolt display
P2107 code
Will not rev above 2 k rpm - limp mode
Throttle must be pressed or no vroom vroom
Smell gas on start up

Still think it is TB extension?

[quote name='BayouTigress' timestamp='1331593186' post='111994']

Lightening bolt display
P2107 code
Smell gas on start up

[/quote]Could be....."DTC P2107 Throttle Actuator Control (TAC) Module Internal Circuit"

Could also be the gas pedal.

[quote name='BayouTigress' timestamp='1331593186' post='111994']

Lightening bolt display
P2107 code
Smell gas on start up

[/quote]yep I think so, if it was a soldered connection I would open up the harness and look for a frayed wire with ocassional contact. If I found nothing I most likely would go ape shit tearing crap out and replaceing it. I hate mystery problems.

Trouble Code: P2107

[i]Throttle Actuator Control Motor Processor Malfunction[/i]
Possible Causes:

TACM (motor) wiring harness is shorted, or TACM signal wires are shorted together . TACM (motor) circuits are shorted to power.