Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lxmodguy

64 Polara Gen3 Hemi Build :)

1,053 posts in this topic

ok so some small changes to the plans. First, it is going to be a 6.1, I got a brand new block from doing some tuning for a local dealer. One of the vendors happened to have a fickle customer that bought a 6.1 crate motor then decided he wanted a 426, so I got a brand new 6.1 rotating assembly dirt cheap.

This week I put wilwoods all the way around and next week the tube K member and coil over front suspension should show up. That is going to be awesome. I will post some pics as I make an real progress.

Just an update, pics coming next week. It is going to be a very big week next week. The follow parts are arriving

Moser fabricated M9 with axles

AJE tubular cross member with coil over suspension and rack & pinion

Next weekend should be productive. I should be able to put the rear end in the car (assuming my powder coating guy gets it done), I have wilwoods to install on the back as well. Maybe running and driving next weekend with the original motor if I get lucky. The motor is running now, just hoping the trans is good and everything goes without a hitch. I will post pics next week.

Good stuff, B. Now don't forget you gotta throw this crowd a bone and draw some stick figures or the like. We'll settle for a snapshot...

:D

HemiSam

You sure are going to be busy with all these parts! :)

I will still be waiting on the front shocks (qa1's) and the power steering rack. We had to make a custom rack, it needed and extra inch on each side. The absolutely sick thing about the front suspension, it is a bolt on setup. No cutting or welding, just a couple holes in the front frame rails and some reinforcement pieces (crush sleeves) and the thing is ready to rock. I get to drop a TON of weight off the front of the car. The stock cross member, the stock torsion bars, all the heavy components get replaced with chromoly components. If my math is right, I should drop 150 pounds.

damn! nice rear setup

Thanks. Now I need to come up with another couple grand to put a pumpkin in it. Could be worse I guess, it could be an LX and cost me twice that :)

I figure I will be $3800 into a virtually indestructible 9 inch with a wavetrac LSD or $3500 into one with a Detroit true trac. Either way, not terrible. Not that much cheaper than the 8.8 by the time I buy the DS.

Looking good. I'm interested in the front suspension. I was thinking tubular K frame myself but keep thinking about MI roads and the fact that my 2 year old daughter is in the car almost every time I drive it. Kinda worried about the tubular K frame breaking but that weight reduction is tempting. I'm just waiting for my new Wilwood brake setup to come in and then I'm gonna throw on the entire Hotchkis suspension that I have stacked in the corner of the garage...

J

Brian that rearend looks bad ass! Can't wait to see the front suspension. I want to do basically the same thing you are doing but on a 69 Road Runner.

Sam, you don't happen to have a stock flywheel from any of your adventures? I need one for fab purposes. Possibly a stock driveshaft too?

This build just got even more badass now that you're putting a stick in it. I saw some of your wanted posts for a 6 speed, and I was hoping this was the car it was going in.

This build just got even more badass now that you're putting a stick in it. I saw some of your wanted posts for a 6 speed, and I was hoping this was the car it was going in.

Thanks. I am thinking about slowing down on the motor build and just building a stock 6.1 to sort it out. Then I am going to build the same motor I put in my charger. NA 426, Modern Muscle heads, the 426 cam I spec'd, 2 inch primaries.....it made 559/521 through an auto, 3.73's and a 3000 stall. I imagine it has to be good for 580-600 wheel through a 6 speed and a solid axle with 15 inch wheels.

Brian so what front suspension (K-member) are you going to use?

http://www.ajeracing.com/mopar.php

AJE Racing made it for me. It is a newly developed or I should say newly enhanced kit. It uses stock spindles now and the geometry is corrected in the A arms. It is pretty amazing actually, with 5 inches of shock travel the chamber changes are 1 degree or less. That is better than most euro front suspension setups

Sam, you don't happen to have a stock flywheel from any of your adventures? I need one for fab purposes. Possibly a stock driveshaft too?

No flywheel, Brian. I think I've got my DS.

HemiSam