Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NOT SURE

Replacing Power Steering Pump On A 6.1

Did one holy hell of a hole shot and my Power steering pump is failing fast!

Its been a long time coming I fear,and of coarse it shit out 300 miles from home.

I did make it home,but man its squeeling like a pig..

How hard is this going to be??

Can I do this shit myself?

Keep in mind I have that vortech on the 6.1.

Im ready to wrench this bitch myself if its not major bullshit.

Hope to hear from someone in the know!

Ty in advance!

fuck_you.jpg

Guess what...Went out to the garage stumbled onto a kinked hose coming off the Power Steering fluid tank.

Looked like it was that was from day 1 from the factory!

I tie wraped it up straightened out the kink.Fired up and no issues..

Just a slight hum when turning the wheel nothing like I had before..

Fuck me.. Raw!

Hope this solved it. Ill keep yah updated..

Im off to bed..

Like Mike said, if it's still humming a little, probably the pump was damaged due to inadequate fluid flow and needs to be replaced

I suppose you could go to Advance Auto or Auto Zone and try some of those power steering pump conditioners and maybe they'd make the noise go away. But it's Black Betty, not some 87 Buick beater you drive to work.... so personally I would replace.

Rock Auto has them for $96 plus a $32 core charge - so not worth trying to 'condition' the original

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php

Good luck, Mikey.

Yeah like everyone else has stated, the pump is more than likely damaged, especially if the suction side hose was crimped and starving the pump of fluid. You may get by with it for a while but it's gonna take a shit on you at the most inopertune time, ya know in the pouring down rain 300 miles from home on some 2 lane black top in the middle of BFE. lol

I have to replace mine after the low pressure return decided to let loose while the car was warming up in the garage one day. It was easy and straight forward. I have a maggie with the independant drive which madeit a bit of a bitch on the belts.

As a follow up to my PS pump install. At first I thought it was me, but my son (who drives the car at times as well) noticed as well, that the steering is smoother and more responsive. It is still the same quickness etc. but the feel on turn in and the recovery and follow up on the exit of corners is  smoother and easier then it was. I thought it was me but as I said, my son said the same thing. Weird, probably so as old age is hitting me but just an observation.