Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

JDW RT 09

392 Stroker Self Install

991 posts in this topic

You need to pull the trans. This feels like Dejavu for some reason, where's Lakey? Make sure you have a clutch alignment tool as well for reinstalling the clutch on the new motor.

You need to pull the trans. This feels like Dejavu for some reason, where's Lakey? Make sure you have a clutch alignment tool as well for reinstalling the clutch on the new motor.

Engine and tranny together as one piece Hemi31, or drop the tranny first out of the bottom then the engine out the top?

Was this a "Lakey" issue a while back or something?

Just put everything in a box & ship it to Dyno Steve :D

Forget That!!!!

Just take the heads off in the car,then pull out the shortblock.Leave trans in the car,It has been done several times.

Engine and tranny together as one piece Hemi31, or drop the tranny first out of the bottom then the engine out the top?

Was this a "Lakey" issue a while back or something?

You cannot pull the motor out the top with the trans attached. You need to drop the exhaust,remove driveshaft,remove shift linkage and pull the trans, then pull the clutch......Then you can remove the motor from the top.

You cannot pull the motor out the top with the trans attached. You need to drop the exhaust,remove driveshaft,remove shift linkage and pull the trans, then pull the clutch......Then you can remove the motor from the top.

How far back Hemi31 do you have to pull back on the transmission before it disconnects from the clutch and allows you to drop it down? How many inches do you think?

Just take the heads off in the car,then pull out the shortblock.Leave trans in the car,It has been done several times.

How would you MM, support the transmission while the engine is out? Is a transmission jack a must?

How far back Hemi31 do you have to pull back on the transmission before it disconnects from the clutch and allows you to drop it down? How many inches do you think?

What brand Lift & Trans Jack do you have?Are you going to pull the trans out on your back?The clutch/flywheel assembly hang about 8 to 10 inches off the back of the engine.

How would you MM, support the transmission while the engine is out? Is a transmission jack a must?

Just use a car jack or jackstand to support the trans.Pulling a manual trans is easy,putting it back in is the hard part.

You'll know when it happens, you'll know....

I am going to give you the same advice I gave Lakey......Stop NOW, find someone who is familiar with the car, suck up the pride and pay them. I know you want to do it yourself but I promise you that you'll be much happier in the long run.

Omg I'm having flashbacks. Why do people fear dropping the trans? It's fucking easy and makes shit simple

Its not fear, its just not wanting to do more labor if not necessary or screw something up ... But I like your answer... Especially the 'makes shit simple' part.

Well it is a just a little fear of the unknown for someone who has never done it. Which is why I am collecting opinions and facts from members like yourself who have done it. Thanks by the way...

What brand Lift & Trans Jack do you have?Are you going to pull the trans out on your back?The clutch/flywheel assembly hang about 8 to 10 inches off the back of the engine.

Torin roll under transmission jack. Yes, on my back. This "The clutch/flywheel assembly hang about 8 to 10 inches off the back of the engine." is the data I was looking for.

I am going to give you the same advice I gave Lakey......Stop NOW, find someone who is familiar with the car, suck up the pride and pay them. I know you want to do it yourself but I promise you that you'll be much happier in the long run.

I don't learn anything by having someone else do it for me. But your advice is well received.

I have done 2 engine replacements on manual trans Challengers.I took the heads off in the car,that made it easy to get the top trans bolts & pull the short block out.The weight of the short block will help you wiggle it back into the trans inputshaft.This was done with the car on jackstands.

Its not fear, its just not wanting to do more labor if not necessary or screw something up ... But I like your answer... Especially the 'makes shit simple' part.

Well it is a just a little fear of the unknown for someone who has never done it. Which is why I am collecting opinions and facts from members like yourself who have done it. Thanks by the way...

Torin roll under transmission jack. Yes, on my back. This "The clutch/flywheel assembly hang about 8 to 10 inches off the back of the engine." is the data I was looking for.

I don't learn anything by having someone else do it for me. But your advice is well received.

I understand that....and I give you credit for wanting to learn.......just trying to save you the heartache and grief I see in your future.

I understand that....and I give you credit for wanting to learn.......just trying to save you the heartache and grief I see in your future.

Why don't you tell me what might cause this heartache and grief so I could possibly mitigate the damage. Now that would be helpful...

lakersfan posted a thread on CT about attempting to do this...it was painful for him and many. Search that thread and you'll have pages of what you're looking at and what to do / not to do.

Harbor Freight has a cheap trans jack for what used to be $60-70. Worth every dime for the gem you have ahead of you.

MM - Arrington did Speedy's block at the same time they did Richard's and mine. Today, all blocks are dropped with the K-member because it's the most efficient approach if you have a lift...at least from Arrington's perspective and they do a few of these ;) Nothing wrong with going over the top with a lift. Just don't do it with all the big bits hanging on...won't end well.

HS

Why don't you tell me what might cause this heartache and grief so I could possibly mitigate the damage. Now that would be helpful...

I gave you a list of what you need to remove. Depending on your mechanical ability,knowledge and tool selection will determine how much grief you have to deal with......just know this however.....just the fact you are on jackstands means your degree of difficulty went up 75%.

And I notice 90% of ppl in here going

"Arrington" did it like this

Spoiler alert : he's not a shop. He can't drop the k member at his fucking house so why don't you guys shut up

Hey bud you should look at the second pic you posted and ask hemi31 what's wrong with that pic. Save a lot of trouble down the road

I'm dying to know............................. <_< ........................................

Hey bud you should look at the second pic you posted and ask hemi31 what's wrong with that pic. Save a lot of trouble down the road

I love these games! Missing reluctor wheel?