Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ironchallenger

Magnacharger Cooling

99 posts in this topic

Funny to see this thread pop up again. Everything is in place. Just getting all the wiring and two extra realys to work. Fan switch is mounted in coin tray in the center consle. Relays mounted close to the Maggie pump. All connections ready to go except the power to the pump. Can't get the fan to come on. Mani is going to drop by Sunday am and we will figure it out. I will give it the college try again tomorrow.

Damn... if only there was a Speedy video or wiring diagram in Visio.... lol

Once it is done and will report back. Yawls can see it at CF4.

Stevo  

I bought Sam's big ass heat exchanger set up for my KB and also ran the same pump and didn't see the gains I was hoping for so with advice from Cam I reinstalled the stock KB water pump 6gpm and my IAT's are about 40 to 50* above ambient temp which is about 20 to 30* lower than before with the Mezeire pump on the street and I have not taken it to the track yet.

Hey Tony, glad you posted this info. I have been really curious about if the higher water flow rate was going to be beneficial or not, please keep us updated on your findings.

I am keeping the stock pump. Right now I am having problems getting the two relays to work (start the fan/pump) with key in off position (power from the POS terminal beside fuse box). I may just have to run the fan (no relays) with key on which will run pump as well.

I also have a very small coolant leak I am trying to find.

When I run the car for 20 minutes (idling... car still in storage) and switch off... there will be a few drops of antifreeze on the floor for a couple of days and then it stops. I don't actually see the leak/drops. When I come back the next day, there are a few drops on the floor. I have been all over and under with a trouble light. I cannot find the leak. Tomorrow I am borrowing a pressure tester from a bud and will pressure test the system. I will drop the new heat exchanger (still connected and full of 50/50 mix) and move it perpendicular to the front of the car while resting upright. Start the car and run for 20 minutes while looking for leaks.

Stevo

I bought Sam's big ass heat exchanger set up for my KB and also ran the same pump and didn't see the gains I was hoping for so with advice from Cam I reinstalled the stock KB water pump 6gpm and my IAT's are about 40 to 50* above ambient temp which is about 20 to 30* lower than before with the Mezeire pump on the street and I have not taken it to the track yet.

Good info, Tony.  Been trying to tell the guys that the resident time in the exchanger was likely a prob with the 20gpm pump but apparently the stubborn bunch here need to learn the hard way...

goofy15_zpsd712bb5b.gif

:D

HS

has anybody thought if increasing the size and volume but slowing the rate of flow ? the longer the high temps are exposed to the air the cooler it will be.. it will be a combination of what will cool the air charge  the most as well as cooling the fluid. After it exits..  ..

Ice box works well for drag, and i would imagine the mile also.. road race would be a little different..

Maggie pump is 5 gpm. I was going to upgrade to a 20 gpm but in the end I just stuck with the Maggie pump. The idea of more resident time in the heat exchanger makes sense. I have completed this mod as of now but have not road tested the car due to Old Man Winter is still hanging around.

Stevo 

Is someone finally listening?  I've been trying to communicate this concept for some time now.  Resident time is your friend.

HS

Agreed.

Yep Sam has mentioned it numerous times, I also mentioned it I believe on the first page or two of this thread.

Accept the size of the CO2 bottle that would be needed to make it beneficial would out weigh the benefits.

hmm,  i completely agree with the Resident time, thats why when i had my maggy, i was thinking of using the bigger pump but with a decent sized restrictor in the lines. 

well see how the increased capacity plays out.    

im not trying to claim that this is the cats ass and a bigger pump is the shit :) i just made this because Stevo was in a bind ;) 

Accept the size of the CO2 bottle that would be needed to make it beneficial would out weigh the benefits.

theres c02/n20 spray bar kits for this purpose. c02 is much cheaper to refill that n20 as well. id ont see a problem with bottle size

For 1/4 mile races it would probably work great, just don't know how long the bottle would last for those of us running the mile races.

Jay... a bunch of us will be at the track this Saturday. See my thread in Track Chat. I will keep a close eye on IAT's a and report back in that thread. Weather will be cloudy and 74 degrees. Time trials start at 9:30 am. Big day for Mani too.

Stevo

Is someone finally listening?  I've been trying to communicate this concept for some time now.  Resident time is your friend.

HS

^^^This.  You move the coolant too fast, it will not cool as efficiently.