Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70Barracuda

New Challenger Production Exceeds Original Challenger Production

I've just noticed that total production figures for the new Challenger (188,501 as of the end of November) has exceeded total prodcution figures of the original Challenger (approximately 176,000 depending on what source you want to believe).

It's kind of amazing that the car actually even ever got built considering all the road blocks thrown up by the bean counters and various other non car guys in Chryslers management.

•  

Hell yea. So happy this car was built, it literally changed my life.

Once I took one for a drive, I sold my old shit and have been having fun ever since and met so many cool people as a result.

Once I took one for a drive, I sold my old shit and have been having fun ever since and met so many cool people as a result.

Same here, it really got me back into muscle cars. I still have a few old project cars but I think I'm going to have to sell them off as I don't really work on them anymore.

I was standing next to my precinct commander when the concept Challenger was making its rounds at the car shows when I first saw one up close. I told him then, I would have one...and I had bought a F150 a few months before. I told my GF (now wife) that I wanted one. A few years later, I saw a used V6 on a friend's car lot and I talked him into letting me borrow it for a couple of hours. I fell in love with the Challenger and I had to have one...and it would HAVE to have a V8.

Now I have mine. I've offered my precinct commander the key fob, but he's afraid he'll want one too. It's great working for a gear head.

Now I have mine. I've offered my precinct commander the key fob, but he's afraid he'll want one too. It's great working for a gear head.

Guilty on that one. Drove two friend's rides and that's all it took.

Have met many people because of this car. Am stopped at gas stations, grocery stores and parking lots by all ages (male and female) who want to know more about it. In general, people love it. I do too. Never had a car I was excited to drive like this one....

The Gen III let me get the car I could never have when I was younger. Always had a car that was one step away from a POS. In high school I rode a motorcycle to get to school and work. Winter, summer, didn't make any difference I rode the bike (an old 125 I paid out over time). Saved enough money to buy a car finally. Marriage, mortgage, and children came early in life so... it took the kids being out of college, virtually no other debt, and 50 years old to finally be able to buy the car I never had. Mid life? Hell no, I've wanted this car since I was 16.

Like others its been the vehicle (pun intended) to allow me to meet a lot of people I never would have met and to make friendships that probably would have never happened.

Right now I'm thinking I will probably keep mine forever. There will always be something I can do to it.

When I seen Challenger was coming back I new I had to have one. Took me 4 years but gotta say it was the best purchase I've ever made. Years off my growing old fast pitifull life and so many memories already made and to come :D

Sales for the new Challenger started slow unlike the E bodies, which sold well the first year, then tapered off year by year. Now the LC seems to be doing well in it's 5th year.

x2

What is the word on these cars? Are they going to keep making them or axe them for a Cuda?

Here's the latest rumors I've seen, but who knows as the rumors change weekly. http://www.ontariostreetcar.com/2012/12/08/chrysler-barracuda-to-be-much-smaller-than-dodges-challenger/

Hot off the insider press is fresh information regarding the upcoming Barracuda from Chrysler and SRT. Previous rumblings suggested that the new LA platform (modified LC in which the current Challenger resides) is what would underpin the “Challenger replacement” Barracuda for 2015. Apparently the Challenger may live on its own with the LA platform and lose approximately 350 lbs as well as some mid section and length but the Barracuda is a separate car from the new Challenger all together.

The ‘Cuda will have its own RWD platform that will be shared with an undisclosed as yet Alfa Romeo (cough-cough GIULIA) as well as a likely small coupe from Maserati. The latter announcing just a few days ago that they will be bringing two new luxury coupes to market in the near future. A small one that will use the same platform as the Barracuda and a larger one that will use the larger LA RWD platform used under the 2015 Challenger.

In todays automotive landscape, unless you have cars to share these near-billion-dollar-to-develop platforms with, they simply do not get past the concept stage.

Back to the Barracuda, its said to be approximately the same size as a current Genesis coupe, which is dead-accurate with former reports suggesting that the Barracuda would be the same size as the smaller all new 2015 Mustang. Expect turbocharged 4cyl trims as well as a potential GT500 destroying, ZL1 out-handling 600+ horsepower beast from Team SRT.

My first car should have been a 1971 Challenger R/T in 1985, but the owner was rightflully worried about selling the 440/727 to a kid, for $1500 no less. I then bought a POS 1970 Challenger when in the USMC with the straight six. Car got me back and forth to San Diego on the weekends... Fast forward to 2006 and the concept Challenger. My search for an old Challenger to build was over, I would be buying a new Challenger when I had the chance. 2012, I got mine and as of right now, only have forum friends, but I cant wait to get back and meet these friend in real life, all because of a "car"...

December of 05 was when i first saw the spy shots of the concept...it was parked under a tree and it was a rear quarter shot. i saw that tail light and rear haunch over the back wheels and instantly knew i wanted this car. for my personal "dream car" it had to be hemi orange, it had to have black leather interior, it had to have a manual transmission and of course it had to have a hemi. October 30th 2008 i took delivery of her and finally had the car i dreamed about. i wasnt even born during the first muscle car wars and i sure as hell wasnt missing my chance to take part in the modern muscle car wars! i was born in 1980 so i got to hear all the stories from my dad who was 18 in '68 and wish i could have grown up in that era (and i still do).

this car got me to car shows and down a drag strip for the first time where i met some cool people and its great to be part of a great community of mopar guys that share their love for this car on these forums!

this is the picture that hooked me:

2006-dodge-challenger-concept-photo-105828-s-429x262.jpg

Same here. If I didn't have my Challenger I doubt I would've gone out on the road to car shows and events where I've met all these great people. Got me into checking these forums and encouraged me to get into drag racing at the local track. Now I'm hooked on car culture!

this is the picture that hooked me:

2006-dodge-challenger-concept-photo-1058

That brings back memories. I actually put some brushed alumiunm pieces in the rear bumper indents like the concept. I thought those might be reverse lights.

So when does LC sell more than both E Bodies?