Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

70challengerrt440

392 Stroker

45 posts in this topic

I just pulled the trigger to stroke my 6.1. I am using a 392 crate motor crank with the stock bore so not exactly a 392 but close. Forged pistons and forged H beam rods. Then I am going to do a 200 shot of N20. I worked with Niel and Dave over at Nitrous Outlet. The numbers should be impressive. Hoping to get close to 700 hp and 700 TQ.

I am just getting the ball roling so if you have some advice or tricks please speak up. I am having a local shop to the block work for me and I will install.

I heard there is some good gains going with a Moroso oil pan and windage tray. Has any one seen any reasons or data proving the stock pan and windage tray should be replaced? My top RPM will be less than 7K still working out what cam to use. 70

You're fine with the stock pan and windage tray, Larry. I still run them.

So you're not forging the pistons and rods while you're in there?

A good, simple to use controller, I know they'll sell you proper plugs (colder), and get you a tuner that knows what he's doing...

HS

great question, been pondering it myself. My recent Aluminum block build came with a builder request for the Moroso pan, still using stock and clearanced windage tray wouldn't question it but would like to know more now just for own. Not sure how many of this pan are in use and to my knowledge the request seems to be as part of a Alum. build, although, there are a few Alums using the OEM 7qt. Reason I know is you can see them when the front tire come off the ground. Who knows, hope to learn more in this thread

Sam, I failed to mention yes.... Forged 11-1 pistons and H beam forged rods. 70

great question, been pondering it myself. My recent Aluminum block build came with a builder request for the Moroso pan, still using stock and clearanced windage tray wouldn't question it but would like to know more now just for own. Not sure how many of this pan are in use and to my knowledge the request seems to be as part of a Alum. build, although, there are a few Alums using the OEM 7qt. Reason I know is you can see them when the front tire come off the ground. Who knows, hope to learn more in this thread

The reason why I ask, Is a builder that did my 440-496 stroker. Has a drag pack challenger, He is twisting the 6.1 to 8K or higher I don't remember the exact RPM. Maybe at that RPM is more of an issue. He saw a 25 hp gain using the Moroso pan and windage tray, The windage tray is feeler gauge set to be very close to the counter weights. The stock windage tray looks more like open windows than an oil control device. 70

got no doubt the 7 is fine, all the G's are along the long axis at the strip and street, need one? think the 11 is round track designed also, all about eliminating oil aeriation

Update on the build. I found a nice 402 stroke crank (mistake at the foundry reading the prints wrong) So now its a 402 stroke 12.1 compression H beam rods etc etc. I got a cam spec from Andy and had Comp Cams grind me the cam. The builder should be assembling next week. I am going with a E-85 Fore Innovations fuel system dual hat with the nitrous controller controlling the second pump. I am shooting for 530 NA and then adding a 200 shot on top. Should be a real treat to drive. 70

An update on my stroker/ nitrous build.

The motor and trans are in. The nitrous is in process here are a few pics of my progress. 

20130908_1035111_zpsda5023a6.jpg

df64328b-c02a-46ce-902f-5c12914e3291_zps

20130908_1034211_zps6b46ca3f.jpg

20130908_1034441_zps0fe6c82c.jpg

The relay with the mounting tab is for my bottle heater. I found the factory didn't use all the relay openings in the power distribution block. I thought it would clean up the install.  

Nice work, Larry.  I know you're up North, bud, but what you might find is your exhaust can serve to heat up the bottle when the car's been running.  So really watch that bottle pressure and if you see it approaching 1100, ice the bottle down (just wrap the bag in a towel and have a spare towel for under the tank).  It'll help get it back to 1000psi or so I'm assuming you're shooting for.

Looking forward to seeing you get that big girl back out.  BTW, zero issues with the chromoly DS.

HS

I sorted out my fuel issue with big help from Justin Fore.  I had a few hicckups but engine is running and sounds beastly. Mike from OST gave me the go ahead to take for a cruise. I suppose I should put the rear end back in lol. 70

I sorted out my fuel issue with big help from Justin Fore.  I had a few hicckups but engine is running and sounds beastly. Mike from OST gave me the go ahead to take for a cruise. I suppose I should put the rear end back in lol. 70

Rear ends are overrated unless they're serviced, Larry.

gtfo15.gif

....did I say something wrong???

:D

HS