Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

xrcrx

91 Vs 93 Tune

I've read here and there that in other forums and in a single post here that the 91 tune is superior to the 93 Predator tune. If you've got experience please weigh in, i'll be doing the tune on my 09 SRT auto this weekend. Also-higher line pressure-yes or no. And any other advice is appreciated.

With the ethanol gas we get down here, the 91 doesn't seem to cause as much KNK on my car as the 93.

Yes to higher line pressure/firmer shifts.

Below is a link to a thread in our vendor forum that documents actual testing we did on my SRT8 Jeep that should be helpful in answering you question. In a nutshell we did compare a stock tune vs 91, stock vs 93 and 91 vs 93. Dyno sheets are posted for the tests:

http://modernmoparforum.com/topic/7597-jeep-srt8-%E2%80%9Cnon-scientific%E2%80%9D-dyno-testing-suggestions-welcome/

get a custom tune and screw the canned tunes. 

I'll do that at some point but for now the canned tune will suffice. I do more road course than drag race so i am sure a good tune will be advantageous, but i got a smokin deal on the predator in the meantime. Gotta get tires /chain/sprockets for the upcoming track season for my bikes-$ has to be spread out lol

Below is a link to a thread in our vendor forum that documents actual testing we did on my SRT8 Jeep that should be helpful in answering you question. In a nutshell we did compare a stock tune vs 91, stock vs 93 and 91 vs 93. Dyno sheets are posted for the tests:

http://modernmoparforum.com/topic/7597-jeep-srt8-%E2%80%9Cnon-scientific%E2%80%9D-dyno-testing-suggestions-welcome/

Thanks for sharing the info !

I played around with the two a fair amount at the track and got my best (track) results with the 93CAI tune when used in conjuction with either Torco additive or by adding some 112 octane fuel to my 93 pump gas (added about a gallon and a half of the good stuff).  In other words the 93 tune when just used with pump 93 gas did ok, but when I bumped the octane through either method I just listed it did a lot better.

For street use the 91 probably runs as good or better than the 93 tune when running the generally lousy 93 octane gas that most of us can get. 

Eric- I can send you a data log of my car running the 93CAI tune on 93 Shell gas. I was getting 4*of STKNK. Some folks have the same experience as 70, bump the octane, and the tune works better.

In swapping tunes at the track, I had found the 93 octane CAI canned tune to be about 0.1 to 0.2 tenths better than the 91 octane CAI tune.  Oddly though, if I test the tunes with TTdyno, the 93 CAI will test about 10 rwhp less.  This is with pump 93, no additives. 

I have compared the two tunes about 3 times, at 3 different tracks, and the results seemed fairly consistent.  

Before I put the blower on my car I was running the canned 93 CAI tune with Solo h/f cats and never had any code issues. Kept reading about everyone saying the 91 CAI tune was better than the 93 CAI tune so I gave it a shot, kept getting lean codes running it, went back to the 93 CAI tune and the lean codes went away and never got another CEL light. Just my experience.