Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BayouTiger

Tire Rack

34 posts in this topic

I am having a tire rack added to my trailer to free up my truck bed. My trailer is identical to this one and it is pretty close to what I am thinking, with a few changes. 

I plan on picking the tires up a little and making a small open shelf below them to hold my generator, fan jack, etc, in the open space next to the tires. I do not plan on running a rod through them to lock. A strap and cable lock will have to do.

Trailer goes to the welder on Tuesday morning, so I'm up for any ideas/suggestions learned from experience. 

e5caade0-cb25-4d69-9977-b8955883e412_zps

T5_zps56eb15e7.jpg

T2_zps3ce09dd1.jpg

I'd go with something like this if you could. It'll help keep the car clean and having locking tool box for your jack, tools etc will save you from having to load and unload them all the time. 

cartrailer_zpscc6e8435.jpg

Yeah, if my trailer was 2 ft longer I would do a locking box on the front. I like Sam's setup. At least the rack will give me some space above the winch and I plan on mounting a lockable box next to the tires if possible. 

That's my problem too. I'm only 18' so no room for a box. I'll probably pick up one of those trailer tongue boxes this week so I'll at least have somewhere to lock up my straps and maybe a few other things.

Fortunately I have locking boxes in the floor. I keep straps and chocks in there. I think I will drill a hole through the RaceRamps to run a cable through them. Most of my tools and stuff stay in the Ramboxes on the truck. I love those things!

I forgot you had the Ram boxes, they are extremely handy. I wish I could of ordered those on my new truck but with the factory goose neck hitch they don't let you add them. 

mikes trailer with the tire rack was awesome, but gave me trouble when loading other cars on it so i had to loose it. 

i was trying to finish an aluminum one up that i could unbolt from the trailer when needed, but wont happen for a while now. 

and is that a ford i see towing that trailer? 

0.o

The tire rack should free up quite a bit of room Chuck. I do like Mani's ideal though, making the rack removable would be pretty kewl.

rack has to clear the hood + 5-6"s for the suspension to travel when going over bumps down the road. in other words the rack has to be very tall

2011-07-13_20-27-54_593.jpg

281835_1795401219405_1670958292_1181982_

OMG!!! IS THAT GSO'S CAR READY TO RACE???!!!! :o

or is that just my imagination? :wacko:

I would make it removable, but it would make it more complicated and I doubt I'll ever take it off. It's really covering space over the winch where the car doesn't go anyway. The car won't be under it more than a few inches, but don't know until everything gets measured out. 

^^^ lol Old pic Dave, Just your immagination. lol

whew!!  thanks Kenny, didn't want to put my expectations too high... lol

you leaving that front cover on the trailer on Chuck?  you know I got gossamer going on there.!!

GSO what size is your trailer?  I'm looking at them now and trying to figure out what size would work (I'm thinking 18' minimum, but that's just a guess).

Thanks

Shaun