Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

70B5Cuda

1970 Barracuda 6.1/6 Speed Build

67 posts in this topic

I bought this 70 Barracuda Gran Coupe off Craigslist in 2008. I always wanted an E-body. I was 25 years old and didn't have alot of money but my wife encouraged me to buy it as a project. I took the day off work, drove to Fredonia, Ks, and laid out $5500 for it. It was a 383/automatic but I didn't get the original engine, transmission, or fender tag with the car.  I started collecting used, original interior/exterior/engine parts for it, but I changed directions several times before finally deciding on a 6.1L hemi. Here's how it looked when I got it:

DSCN0369.jpg

DSCN0365.jpg

DSCN0368.jpg

post-1415-0-87578100-1366383926_thumb.jpg

Neat. Depending on where I look, I probably have one or two NOS fenders for that thing. They may be 72-74 fenders, but if they fit, I'd sell them.

I have actually been in Fredonia, KS.  Some relatives lived on the lake in Farlington and I had a customer in Parsons.

I really like the 70 Barracuda.  I had a 70 Barracuda and my brother had a 70 Cuda.  Mine had a 318, so it wasn't very fast.  It replaced the 70 Super Bee that I ran off a dead end.

I look forward to tracking your progress.

My first child was just 6 weeks old when I bought the car and I was in the middle of my MBA so the car sat (inside) for 2 years after the purchase. I moved and finally began to disassemble the car. Originally, I was just going to patch the rust in the quarters and repaint the car. I began by disassembling the car. I used a propane torch and 1.5" paint scraper to remove every bit of factory undercoating. Have you ever had burning hot rubber fall down a long sleeve of your shirt???

IMG_0365.jpg

2009-8-30floor1.jpg

IMG_0518.jpg

IMG_0918.jpg

The front floor pans were pitted adn rusted through in areas so I cut them out; then the rear floor pans looked bad. Then I cut out the trunk floor and trunk floor extensions. Then the trunk gutter, rear dutchman's panel, and quarter panels looked bad......so this is what I was left with. I did everything with a cutouff wheel/drill. The carnage...

DSCN2182.jpg

DSCN2183.jpg

The above 2 pictures are how I dropped the car at the blaster's. For $200, a professional blaster in Wichita blasted what was left of the car with aluminum oxide. I picked the car up at 4:30 in the afternoon, drove home, unloaded the car, blew every nook/cranny out with compressed air, and dragged it in the shop for some DP90 primer. Bare metal pics first

Baremetalrightside.jpg

BareMetalleftfront.jpg

Here it is in primer

023.jpg

021.jpg

I found a local guy who who is very talented when it comes to fabrication. At first he was just going to install new floor pans, trunk pans, and quarter panels, but once I got a good look at the frame rails after removing the undercoating and blasting, the rails turned out to be pitted and rusty along the bottom edge. Matt convinced me to replace the frame rails with some custom rails that he would make from scratch. I took the plunge and I am glad I did. The custom frame rails will run from tip to tail. The original rear rails angled from the rear axle to the rear corners of the car, which limited tire space, so the new rails parallel the rear tub before angling out AFTER the wheel tubs

IMG_0068.jpg

IMG_0069.jpg

IMG_0070.jpg

IMG_0071.jpg

The frame rails now protrude through the floor pans, but I think it's way better than the pieces you can buy and weld to the bottom of your floor pan.

c74d4a5e.jpg

c76941fb.jpg

3962bacf.jpg

0e7d42c0.jpg

Here's a few pretty welds

9c956394.jpg

850efeb2.jpg

2a1e268a.jpg

These shots will give you an idea of the space gained. The new wheel tubs will butt up to the frame rails

1022E8E6-C79D-4758-ABAF-1AB4D122D2FB-150

6C1FDAE5-0D8B-4F7F-A2CB-515BF1C30D1D-150

3378A378-AB63-4C1D-829F-9B06B5010E35-150

9301D146-8FF0-4925-93A3-402CB8A01150-150

Because the rear frame rails were modified heavily, the trunk floor pan had to be cut up a bit and welded to fit the new track of the rails

51.jpg

52.jpg

50.jpg

Lots of spot welding...

57.jpg

53.jpg

It looks as if the progress has happened very fast, but in reality, it's been 2.5 years since I dropped it off. My car is filler work, but the price is right. Also, my plans have changed so much/so often that I am happy it took awhile to get rolling. The front suspension will be the Reilly Motorsports AlterKation setup, which replaces the torsion bars with coilovers and uprages steering to rack and pinion. The rear suspension will be a custom setup by the fabricator which will consist of a 2 link, panhard bar, airbags, and a torque arm. Also, the car will be LOW with some 335/30/20's out back so the rear tubs are getting sucked up into the car...

58.jpg

56.jpg

55.jpg

The driver's rear tub is just taking shape. I bought a new pair of OEM rear outer wheel houses and the outside lip was cut off. The outside lip will provide the contour to which the wheel tub must join

61.jpg

60.jpg

This is where the car is currently. I will try to provide updates as progress happens or as I find pictures..

Holy shit does this take me back.  My father and I redid a 70 Barracuda, originally a 383 auto Gran Coupe, and we cloned it into a 440 4spd (now 5 spd) 'Cuda.  Very impressive work.  We had to go through all of that as well, only difference is our frame rails were in excellent condition.

Don't feel bad, took us 5 yrs.  My daughter was born about 8 mos after we bought the car.  Have fun with it, gonna really be watching this!

Glad you joined the forum bud.  Good talking to you the other day.  Keep the pics coming.

Here's that Bull Run Barracuda I told you about.  It was a resto mod with a modern 6.1 in it.

i281560.jpg

Glad you joined the forum bud.  Good talking to you the other day.  Keep the pics coming.

Here's that Bull Run Barracuda I told you about.  It was a resto mod with a modern 6.1 in it.

i281560.jpg

THAT looks like a fun ride!!

It was good to talk to you too. Thanks for the input.

Man that thing going to have some meats on it. Car looks like it is coming along nicely, can't wait to see it in person.

Troy

Wow now this is a bad ass build, very envious! :) I have wanted to do exactly what you are doing to the Cuda to a 70 Challenger for a loooong time.