Welcome to Modern Mopar Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

70B5Cuda

1970 Barracuda 6.1/6 Speed Build

67 posts in this topic

Wow now this is a bad ass build, very envious! :) I have wanted to do exactly what you are doing to the Cuda to a 70 Challenger for a loooong time.

Thanks-I didn't intend to go this far but I am glad I did. All that's keeping you from doing the same to a 70 challenger it is a pile of $$$$!!

"I wanted to buy something like this already done. There is not much out there, that I could find anyway."

I looked around for a long time to see what was for sale and there was never a complete car that was exactly how I would want it. There was always something (or a couple things) that were way off. Plus-I am pretty leery of any muscle car that has fresh paint and does not have TONS of photo documentation.

Thanks-I didn't intend to go this far but I am glad I did. All that's keeping you from doing the same to a 70 challenger it is a pile of $$$$!!

^^^Yeah the pile of money and facility's to work on a build like that. Guess I could buy one and have Manny do the chassis work. :)

"I wanted to buy something like this already done. There is not much out there, that I could find anyway."

I looked around for a long time to see what was for sale and there was never a complete car that was exactly how I would want it. There was always something (or a couple things) that were way off. Plus-I am pretty leery of any muscle car that has fresh paint and does not have TONS of photo documentation.

"Yeah the pile of money and facility's to work on a build like that. Guess I could buy one and have Manny do the chassis work."

A couple months ago there was a guy on eBay and either moparts.com or cuda-challenger that was selling a 70 or 71 Cuda with dodge viper suspension tucked under it. It looked pretty sweet and was a rolling shell. I think he wanted $25K for it. For what was done to it, that wasn't a bad price.

After seeing this project in person I will say it will be a great ride when it is done. Thanks again for letting me see the front end on it and picking your brain a bit.

Troy

After seeing this project in person I will say it will be a great ride when it is done. Thanks again for letting me see the front end on it and picking your brain a bit.

Troy

Thanks for stopping by Troy. It was nice to meet you

Is this the car that my old 6 speed transmission is going in?

I don't think so. I have collected my TR6060s from wrecked cars I have parted out or from a salvage yard in Minnesota (I bought 3 from them).

More pics to come this week.

Finally-some new pics as promised. This is the first set of tires I bought for mockup purposes. They were 315-35-20 and they just weren't wide enough as you can see by the clearance between the tire sidewall and the frame rail. I've since decided to got with a 345-30-20.

This profile view is my favorite:

A few more pics

post-1415-0-91170400-1379601050_thumb.jpg

post-1415-0-68588800-1379601058_thumb.jpg

post-1415-0-13334200-1379601068_thumb.jpg

post-1415-0-28056000-1379601090_thumb.jpg

post-1415-0-83922800-1379601285_thumb.jpg

post-1415-0-10177100-1379601294_thumb.jpg

post-1415-0-76601400-1379601304_thumb.jpg

post-1415-0-91606000-1379601447_thumb.jpg

post-1415-0-07489600-1379601455_thumb.jpg

post-1415-0-86278100-1379601462_thumb.jpg

How did I miss this thread. Wow very cool! Cannot wait till this car is done.

Sometime ago, cool car threads like this were easy to miss because we were Modern Melodrama Forum.  Now these cool threads are easy to follow.

I haven't updated for quite some time. Matt took another job for about 18 months that worked him long hours so he didn't have much time to work on cars. A few months ago he started working for himself again so progress has started again.

Ordered some Forgelines through Matt's Classic Bowties. MCB had excellent communication and customer service. I would highly recommend calling them for a quote if you ever order custom wheels. 

Mine are 20x12 out back and 19x9 up front. I wanted 345 tires out back but Michelin jerked me around for 4 months with several missed dates so I settled for 335's.

image_10.jpg

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

Some pics of the wheels under the car for mockup...

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

image_6.jpg

A few more

image_7.jpg

image_8.jpg

image_9.jpg

Originally I only wanted new frame rails from the tail to the firewall because the front rails looked good from the outside. Matt convinced me to go with fabricated front frame rails that would raise the altercation front suspension up into the car so it could ride lower without interference. I finally consented and I'm glad I did. Matt cut a window in the right front frame rail and the inside was discussing. It was filled with dirt, rust, and mouse poop/nesting material. Im guessing the inside of many of these frame rails look like this.

image_2.jpeg

image_3.jpeg

Next Matt traced the existing frame rail contours and modified the sweep. He then cut the 4 sides of each rail from flat steel and began welding corners. Needless to say....I was impressed...

image_4.jpeg

image_5.jpeg

image_6.jpeg

Here are the corners all welded/dressed:

image_7.jpeg

image_8.jpeg

These frame rails will raise front suspension a little more then 2.5" up into the car

image_14.jpeg

This picture does a great job of showing the contour of the new front rails.

image_9.jpeg

Even though I knew it was coming, seeing the car without front frame rails was still a bit shocking

image_1.jpeg

image_2_1.jpeg

image_3_1.jpeg

New rails in the car...

image_5_1.jpeg

image_6_1.jpeg

image_7_1.jpeg

image_8_1.jpeg

Yes welcome back. Great to see an old girl getting a new lease on life. The wheels look great inside the wheel well. She is going to look amazing when done. Keep the pictures coming...